PDA

View Full Version : Saved from the scrap heap - old engine

defenda90
25th February 2013, 08:10 PM
Hi all,

I have acquire an old engine recently to save it from the scrap heap and as a project. Not sure if it was a good idea or not?

Just wondering if anyone has or knows where i could find some info on this motor.

It's details are as follows:

Chandler Engine
Made in Australia for
Harvey Shaw Successors
3 1/2 HP

Any help will be much appreciated.

defenda90
25th February 2013, 08:16 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I'd add another picture of the old engine.

Cheers

loanrangie
25th February 2013, 08:30 PM
Some kind of stationary engine, good save. Something to tinker with when winter comes.

Tote
25th February 2013, 08:49 PM
You might want to have a look here: https://www.tomm.com.au/

Regards,
Tote

richard4u2
25th February 2013, 09:51 PM
looks like the ones the farmers used to run thier 32 v power plants with way back

Cobber
25th February 2013, 09:52 PM
Probably for a bore pump or something similar.

Have a look here:
Australian Made (http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/ausmade1.html)

maybe you can find out more.

DeanoH
26th February 2013, 08:16 AM
You'll possibly find that it's a copy of an American 'Monitor' engine. These were made for D & W Chandler in Box Hill who were their Australian agent.

These engines were commonly used to power pumps etc for orchards and the like.

For more info and expertise you could contact the Yarra Valley Machinery Preservation Society. :)

Deano :)

bobslandies
26th February 2013, 08:55 AM
Used to have a packet of 1920s cartridges that had this on the label.

No Google in those days. Google it now and there are heaps of references, gun catalogues, dairy prizes, etc.

Obviously they were a susbtantial importing or marketing business and the principal owner may have died and the process was that the business could continue (like an estate I suppose).

Maybe someone else knows of the term.

Bob

Bigbjorn
26th February 2013, 09:04 AM
Well done. Looks like a complete or near complete engine. Shouldn't take much to get it running. There is a very strong old machinery hobby and numerous field days and rallies are held around the country on a regular basis. Get your newsagent to order in The Old Machinery Magazine or TOMM, and take it from there. TOMM have an excellent website.

These engines were found on almost any farm or grazing property when rural power was rare or non-existent. Pumps and shearing plant were probably the most common uses.

loanrangie
26th February 2013, 11:04 AM
That large flywheel/pulley looks just wide enough for a canvas or leather drive belt that was commonly used back then for powering machinery, as Brian suggested pumps , saws and shearing gear were often powered by these stationary engines.

Bigbjorn
26th February 2013, 11:14 AM
That large flywheel/pulley looks just wide enough for a canvas or leather drive belt that was commonly used back then for powering machinery, as Brian suggested pumps , saws and shearing gear were often powered by these stationary engines.

The photo shows a crowned pulley for a flat belt drive. We were still carting more modern versions of these engines, pulleys, bulk belt, and belt dressing well into the 60's until rural power became common or affordable. Some of my old fitting and turning textbooks have sections on millwright practice. Interestingly they say the most efficient were wood pulleys and leather belt with the hair on and the hairy side in contact with the pulley face.

loanrangie
26th February 2013, 11:29 AM
My dad has collected quite a few dodge 4 engines 1924-1928 that the chassis was cut off just behind the engine and adapted for stationary use, most recent discovery was an engine from a Dixie Flyer which is very rare and only a couple in existence, this is now powering a fully restored Dixie that was sold to a museum in the US and now on display .

defenda90
26th February 2013, 06:56 PM

After your post, I checked with the original owners and there are still a few old wooden pulleys and belts laying around. Should be able to pick them up soon.

Thanks everyone for their help.

PAT303
26th February 2013, 07:03 PM
Well done. Looks like a complete or near complete engine. Shouldn't take much to get it running. There is a very strong old machinery hobby and numerous field days and rallies are held around the country on a regular basis. Get your newsagent to order in The Old Machinery Magazine or TOMM, and take it from there. TOMM have an excellent website.

These engines were found on almost any farm or grazing property when rural power was rare or non-existent. Pumps and shearing plant were probably the most common uses.

Brians right,as a boy working in shearing sheds around the north west slopes of NSW these engines were very common powering the shear heads via a leather belt up to a common shaft running down the stalls. Pat

Don 130
1st March 2013, 09:07 PM
From My neighbour, Ian.

This engine is a rebadged Ronaldson & Tippett model CH diesel. They were made in fairly large numbers and were badged under numerous names nominated by the agent if a reasonable order. I have one down the back. You don’t often see what looks like the original fuel tank.

They do up well and run quite nicely.

Regards, Ian

Then later today:

More on the type CH – Plough Book Sales have the parts/instruction manual as catalogue number 012766. Perhaps you could pass that on to the person who was enquiring about the Chandler.

Regards, Ian

I hope this all helps
Don