PDA

View Full Version : Swivel pin kits

series3
28th February 2013, 07:35 AM
Hello everyone,

My front wheel bearings are well past their use by date and need replacing. I am thinking of ordering the kit below with a bunch of other things from the UK.

follow this link (http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/4042/DA2178-SERIES-3-SWIVEL-PIN-KIT-COMPLETE.html?search=Swivel%20kit&page=1)

It's Britpart and only 25pounds for both sides. Does anyone have experience with this kind of kit or should I be trying to source something some local and more expensive for reasons of quality? I am thinking especially of the bearings.

Cheers,

Sam

clive22
28th February 2013, 08:39 AM
Hi

When I did by swivels, reading around on the topic quite a few said to get Timken bearing, which I did.

They are relatively a lot dearer, but not so much in absolute terms. That was a couple of years back, and there wearing well so far.

Clive

roobar_and_custard
28th February 2013, 09:18 AM
There are three different part types in the UK.
1) Copy - non original copy parts (cheapest)
2) OE - parts from the original manufacturer eg Timkin (middle price)
3) Branded - Same as 2, but in a box with the Land Rover branding (most expensive)

Most companies in the UK have options for 1 and 2, with prices to suit.
For non critical parts, I have never had any issues with copy parts, but after a master cylinder change (using a copy part) which lasted about 4 weeks, I tend to use OE parts for areas I consider critical.

Companies like Paddocks and John Craddock tend to give both options (both in the UK). Interestingly, I think you will find Paddocks cheaper than the supplier you noted.

I believe Bearmach parts tend to be their own branded versions, which often contain OE parts in the kit. They are a major Land Rover part supplier globally. Check out their website for more info.

Ian.

MacMan
28th February 2013, 12:09 PM
The brand in question would struggle to supply a paperclip manufactured to within specifications. Considering how annoying stuffed swivel bearings can be, I'd suggest any other brand, best being Timken.

eddy
28th February 2013, 01:28 PM
Britpart are not recommended for the quality of their bearings.If you get their kit replace the bearings with Timken or other well known bearing manufacturer.

Yorkshire_Jon
28th February 2013, 04:01 PM
Should read...

Britpart are not recommended for the quality.

I agree re Timken.

Sent using Forum Runner

series3
28th February 2013, 06:43 PM
Hello thanks everyone I will get the kit and replace the bearings with something more reputable.

While I have anywhere on the hop can someone suggest a good bearing supplier anywhere between the Lower Blue Mountains and Maitland NSW?

Cheers!

Sam

Ozdunc
1st March 2013, 01:17 PM
ABC bearings Powell Rd, Brookvale
No affl, yada yada - just my local bearing factor.

They might do mail order