PDA

View Full Version : 2 Cylinder Tacho

101RRS
13th March 2013, 12:19 PM
I am looking for a small analogue 2 cylinder engine tacho (not a digital readout) - I have searched on the net and found some 5" tachos that go up to 11000 rpm or higher but I am looking for a slightly smaller diameter version with max revs about 6000 rpm as the engine max rpm is 5000rpm.

Any ideas on where I might get something like this would be appreciated.

Garry

drifter
13th March 2013, 06:48 PM
Motorcycle shop?

bee utey
13th March 2013, 06:49 PM
marine or motorcycle?

52mm White Waterproof Petrol Rev Tacho gauge ideal Kit Car or Marine | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/52mm-White-Waterproof-Petrol-Rev-Tacho-gauge-ideal-Kit-Car-or-Marine-/170996648094?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d031c89e)

"Suitable for 2,3,4,5,6,8 cylinder petrol engines"

101RRS
13th March 2013, 09:44 PM
marine or motorcycle?

52mm White Waterproof Petrol Rev Tacho gauge ideal Kit Car or Marine | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/52mm-White-Waterproof-Petrol-Rev-Tacho-gauge-ideal-Kit-Car-or-Marine-/170996648094?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d031c89e)

"Suitable for 2,3,4,5,6,8 cylinder petrol engines"

Car :D. The black one is now added to my watch list. That one did not not come up on on my search list.

Now that is a good start - thanks - can you find me one just a bit larger diameter and limited to 6000 rpm :).

I appreciate you search.

Cheers

Garry

bee utey
13th March 2013, 09:57 PM
Car :D. The black one is now added to my watch list. That one did not not come up on on my search list.

Now that is a good start - thanks - can you find me one just a bit larger diameter and limited to 6000 rpm :).

I appreciate you search.

Cheers

Garry
Yah yah I know its for the Haffy, just suggesting sources of 2 cylinder tachos.:)

Viewline Onyx 6,000 RPM 3 3/8" (85mm) Tachometer 12/24V | Programmable Tachometers | Viewline Onyx | By Series | Instruments | VDO Instruments and Accessories (http://www.vdo-gauges.com/instruments/by-series/viewline-onyx/programmable-tachometers/viewline-onyx-6-000-rpm-3-3-8-85mm-tachometer-12-24v.html)

Programmable tachometers accept signal inputs from 2,4,6,8,10,12 & 16 cylinder standard coil ignition. Viewline programming software (available separately) allows use with alternator and 12V square signals, as well as activate the user defined rev. limit warning .

101RRS
13th March 2013, 10:03 PM
That one is now bookmarked as well - I have googled heaps of variations and none came up with the ones you listed. The last one would be spot on if not too expensive.

Cheers

Garry

101RRS
18th March 2013, 01:29 PM
Viewline Onyx 6,000 RPM 3 3/8" (85mm) Tachometer 12/24V | Programmable Tachometers | Viewline Onyx | By Series | Instruments | VDO Instruments and Accessories (http://www.vdo-gauges.com/instruments/by-series/viewline-onyx/programmable-tachometers/viewline-onyx-6-000-rpm-3-3-8-85mm-tachometer-12-24v.html)

Why do people buy overseas? Here is why.

Tried my local instrument shop - they cannot get that one - fair enough.

Emailed a well known Australian auto instrument supplier/repairer for availability and price. They gave me the courtesy of ringing me up in response to my email. Price in Aust is $330. Price in the US $134 plus shipping - hmmm discussed this with the guy from the instrument shop - he indicated that his business only has its usual markup and that his business cannot buy that tacho from VDO Aust cheaper than the retail US price and he recommended to buy overseas.

Well I can at least say that I tried to buy local.

Garry

SuperMono
23rd March 2013, 02:56 AM
Try Ringwood Speedometer Service in Mitcham VIC.
They should be able to do whatever you need.

Address: 693 Whitehorse Rd, Mitcham VIC 3132
Phone:(03) 9874 2260

101RRS
13th June 2013, 03:03 PM
Yah yah I know its for the Haffy, just suggesting sources of 2 cylinder tachos.:)

I ended up getting one of these and looks the goods. When I placed the order the the US supplier sent me message asking for the pulses I required as they would have to set it but I said I had no idea and said it was a 2 cylinder 4 stroke engine and left it at that - I now know this to set up the tacho for use from an alternator. As there is a dip switch system to set up to run from ignition coils I can set that up.

However, one of the reasons I got this tacho was the redline light as the engine I have does not have its governor on it. When I reviewed the instructions there was no mention of how to set the light and after a bit of searching online I now find that this has to be programmed with special software that you cannot buy :mad:. Why the seller did not ask me what redline I wanted set is beyond me.

Anyway the local VDO dealer has never heard of this software and does not have it and VDO Aust is looking into it.

Why the seller did not cover this is a bit odd.

Any works great otherwise.

Garry

101 Ron
13th June 2013, 04:52 PM
Small size and would look good in a haffie dash board.
Australian company.
You can buy from this mob though most better auto parts retailers.
Flexible drive agencies are good for 101 transmission cables and old vehicle windscreen wipers( ie Alvis Stalwart)
Tiny Tachometer - Hour meter and tachometer for small engines - Flexible Drive Agencies Pty. Ltd (http://www.fdrive.com.au/products/05/tiny.php)

They also do instruments, starter motors and altenators.
the company has been around for along time.

101RRS
13th June 2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks Ron - it already has a Tiny Tach/Hourmeter in it - not all that impressed with it - is small, hard to read, no lighting, has a substantial lag in its display and no ability to set a redline.

Hence I was looking for an alternative and the one I have got fits the bill, as long as I can get the light programmed - not an issue in top gear unless going downhill but is easy to over rev in lower gears and the bright red light should catch my attention if that happens.

Garry

101 Ron
13th June 2013, 09:51 PM
the Rolls Royce of the tiny tach idea is a item made by Red lion controls.
It should work on the wiring in place for the tiny tach.( it can be programed to read the speed of anything)
It is much larger and easy to read...........but costs a lot.
I used one as a rotor tach on a gyrocopter for many years and loved it.( it counted the teeth on a ring gear)
I could find a part number.........they make a very large range of products.
Is your haffie still fitted with the original governor ?
I remember the standard governors worked very well when the small drive belt was fitted.( I think it had a handle which could give two different settings)
People usually removed the drive belt to get a little bit more road speed.

101RRS
13th June 2013, 11:29 PM
No governor fitted and a different carby so the system will not work if fitted anyway.