PDA

View Full Version : What great vehicles

AnD3rew
18th March 2013, 04:22 PM
Spent a great day yesterday with the guys from LROC (Sydney) in the Gardens of Stone NP.

Good people and lots of fun. Mostly Defenders with my D3 and one other lifted coiler D3.

It was rated as medium and mostly it was easy to medium, but there was 1 bit which I think was moving more to the hard end of the scale.

Once again amazed by how effortlessly the D3 does everything even with a pretty ordinary driver like me. I must say there were a couple of bits (ok same bit but once up and once down) where I was a bit shaky but the terrain response and the HDC work brilliantly every time and even when the driver looked nervous the D3 never did.

Even up against the defers with better clearance and better cred (and better drivers) it held its own. It is incredible really that something which is so comfortable to drive on the road can be so capable in the bush.

Beautiful day and beautiful scenery.

Maybe saw some of you as we waited on the way down to Blackfellows Hand Cave while 20 members of the Rangie club came up, and it seemed comprised of mostly Disco's.

Rohan
18th March 2013, 05:47 PM
I too did a club trip yesterday (in my RRS). It was my official training trip as I've only just joined. (Range Rover Club, Vic.)
What a great experience. These cars are fantastic, mine went everywhere a 2" lifted Shorty Pootrol on 33" muddies went. Surprised a few people that's for sure:D
A little bit of man-flu for the car, the handbrake gave up on the first hill stop:eek: (massive screech, then jammed on) meh, handbrakes are over rated anyway! and SWMBO took out a small tree and decided to remove a mud flap :wasntme:
Worked out that on steep rutted hills 'mud & ruts' may not be the best choice :o 'grass/gravel' works much better:D
I would recommend your local 4wd club to anyone.

Lotz-A-Landies
18th March 2013, 05:51 PM
It gets depressing when the lifted and locked Defender people tell you they wont take any more photos and particularly wont take video of your D3/D4 because it puts their Defenders to shame. D4's make obstacles look too easy.

Diana :BigCry:

jonesy63
18th March 2013, 05:55 PM
D4's make obstacles look too easy.

Except rock steps... too much overhang compared to 'fenders.

Lotz-A-Landies
19th March 2013, 08:36 AM
Except rock steps... too much overhang compared to 'fenders.Won't argue there, however rock crawlng is not my thing, if I did that I'd be wanting portals on anything not just lifting and locking.

AnD3rew
19th March 2013, 09:53 PM
Did a few rock steps, not as extreme as Spanish steps but a few good bits, with Llams installed and at +50 plus off road I had no grounding problems at all.

TerryO
20th March 2013, 10:47 PM
There was only one rock step I got stuck on (bellied out) when doing the Spanish steps when last out with the Fender boys. I would hazard a guess that a good set of 32's would have made all the difference.

Managed to mash up the rear plastic bumper a bit though on various drop offs.

As I have said before, a D3/4 is almost like cheating when going off road, not much skill required when driving a late model Disco up against other 4b's in the rough stuff.

Having said that hats off to the guys driving old Fenders who did it without lockers or TC.

cheers,
Terry