PDA

View Full Version : Roadworth / Rego Questions

jdobson
8th April 2013, 04:32 PM
I purchased my Land Rover just over a year ago, since then it's been parked up awaiting restoration. When I purchase it, it has 12 months rego and roadworthy.

Now the issue, I failed to notify the authority that I had taken ownership. Now the rego has expired and it will need a new pink and blue slip (I think?).

So in order to get it back on the road, do I first need to take it in for the roadworthy check? Then go to the RTA and re-register? Will I get a fine for failing to notify them of the change in ownership (which was close to a year and a half ago). If there's any way of avoiding a fine that would be appreciated!

Also, can you tell me if it needs to have seatbelts fitted for the roadworthy test? It's a 1968 year model and does it need windscreen washers and rear numberplate light?

Many Thanks

cookey
8th April 2013, 07:34 PM
1968 will need lap type seat belts for front seating positions.
Does NOT require w/screen washers.
Does NOT require reversing lamps.
DOES require number plate lamp.

In NSW you will require a blue slip for rego. You will NOT require a pink slip.

If you tell the RMS (formally RTA) that the number plates were not attached when you purchased the vehicle, you should not be hit with a late transfer fee.

cookey

jdobson
9th April 2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks Cookey, really useful information.

jdobson
2nd May 2013, 01:50 PM
I plan to fit bench seats in the back of my 1968 LWB, will these need to be fitted with seatbelts in order to pass the roadworthy? Also, is it legal to have six people sat in the back?

Thanks

isuzutoo-eh
2nd May 2013, 02:13 PM
Mine's five years older and a shorty, but is registered as a seven seater with four bench seats in the back. Legally they can only be used once the forward facing seats are filled, and if I have the truck cab on, they can't be used.
I don't know about seatbelt laws in your instance.

happydad59
9th May 2013, 07:53 PM
According to rego papers, my 1967 shorty is only registered for 3, so that's all I can legally carry.
It was blue slipped last Xmas with no seat belts, but required mud flaps and numberplate light. Had windscreen washer but wasn't checked.
Peter

Newy
8th July 2013, 02:02 PM
I have a question about my '78 series 3 SWB. What seat belts would be required to pass safety cert. QLD? It currently has lap sash belts anchored to a roll bar I wish to remove.

THE BOOGER
8th July 2013, 02:23 PM
My 78 LWB with nsw reg has lap/sash on the outboard seats and lap on the middle seat the lap sash are attached to a bracket on the bulkhead not a roll bar:)

Tank
8th July 2013, 03:45 PM
I purchased my Land Rover just over a year ago, since then it's been parked up awaiting restoration. When I purchase it, it has 12 months rego and roadworthy.

Now the issue, I failed to notify the authority that I had taken ownership. Now the rego has expired and it will need a new pink and blue slip (I think?).

So in order to get it back on the road, do I first need to take it in for the roadworthy check? Then go to the RTA and re-register? Will I get a fine for failing to notify them of the change in ownership (which was close to a year and a half ago). If there's any way of avoiding a fine that would be appreciated!

Also, can you tell me if it needs to have seatbelts fitted for the roadworthy test? It's a 1968 year model and does it need windscreen washers and rear numberplate light?

Many Thanks
If the person/car yard you purchased the vehicle off presented his half of the rego papers (disposal of motor vehicle) to the RTA (as required) you are more than likely going to be fined for not transfering ownership title into your name, I think the limit is 14 days, Regards Frank.

FeatherWeightDriver
8th July 2013, 10:16 PM
If you are past the registration date by 3 months or more then you need a blue slip, and you rego starts from the day you pay.

Cancelled registration < Re-establish expired or cancelled rego < Registration < www.rta.nsw.gov.au (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/expiredcancelled/cancelledrego.html)

...but if you are past due by less than 3 months then you only need a green slip, but the rego runs from the date you were supposed to pay.

Expired registration < Re-establish expired or cancelled rego < Registration < www.rta.nsw.gov.au (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/expiredcancelled/expiredrego.html)

Also transfer of ownership requests lodged more than 14 days after the transfer are $100 more expensive...

Mick_Marsh
9th July 2013, 09:47 AM
Also transfer of ownership requests lodged more than 14 days after the transfer are $100 more expensive...
Transfer of registration or transfer of ownership?
Here in Vic transfer of registration must be advised within 14 days but, if not registered, it is considered a new registration and can be reregistered whenever..

FeatherWeightDriver
9th July 2013, 10:04 AM
Transfer of registration or transfer of ownership?
Here in Vic transfer of registration must be advised within 14 days but, if not registered, it is considered a new registration and can be reregistered whenever..

You are right that a lapsed (cancelled) registration is treated as a new registration, but I wonder if there will be additional hassles as the previous registration details have someone else's name on them.

In this case the car was registered, but it is not clear if registration has been cancelled.

Agreed you are supposed to transfer within 14 days, but it does not say what happens if you don't transfer and then let the registration lapse and get cancelled, and a different person tries to take on the registration.

See:
How to transfer registration < Transfer your rego < Registration < www.rta.nsw.gov.au (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/regotransfer/howtotransfer.html)
Proof of registration entitlement < Get a new rego < Registration < www.rta.nsw.gov.au (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/getnewrego/proofofentitlement.html)

Mick_Marsh
9th July 2013, 10:24 AM
You are right that a lapsed (cancelled) registration is treated as a new registration, but I wonder if there will be additional hassles as the previous registration details have someone else's name on them.

In this case the car was registered, but it is not clear if registration has been cancelled.

Agreed you are supposed to transfer within 14 days, but it does not say what happens if you don't transfer and then let the registration lapse and get cancelled, and a different person tries to take on the registration.

See:
How to transfer registration < Transfer your rego < Registration < www.rta.nsw.gov.au (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/regotransfer/howtotransfer.html)
Proof of registration entitlement < Get a new rego < Registration < www.rta.nsw.gov.au (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/getnewrego/proofofentitlement.html)
I would expect the person re-registering the vehicle has a receipt. Not a problem. I've done it often.
It is a new registration, and with all registrations, you should have a receipt or some other document to prove ownership.

jdobson
1st August 2013, 10:35 AM
No problems with the registration. I decided honesty was the best policy and told them I had failed to send off my part of the form when I purchased the vehicle. I just had to show them the receipt of sale which included the former rego number. Cost me $600 for the year which I think is fairly consistent with what others pay.

Happy, legal motoring now.