PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel or no snorkel

Glenn Bragg
10th April 2013, 09:21 AM
Having done one camping trip to the Birdsville races in my D4 I'm not sure about forking out for a snorkel. The other vehicles in our group simply took out their air filters and blasted them with their air compressors to remove the dust.( I've just had one of those installed under the bonnet). I've also been told that water should not be a problem with the D4, I also have one of those creek crossing bras. Dust is probably my main concern. Anyone have any recommendations.

wrinklearthur
10th April 2013, 10:20 AM
Whether it's on a fourwheel drive, truck or a tractor, the use of a snorkel or a raised air intake before the air cleaner, to gather clear air in dusty conditions, must prolong the service life of the air cleaners element.

The fording depth shouldn't be the issue here, as transversing water is only done on rare occasions, where as travelling in dusty conditions can occur daily.

Glenn Bragg
10th April 2013, 10:41 AM
Thank you Arthur, that should be enough to justify the purchase to my wife.

Tombie
10th April 2013, 11:42 AM
Easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

BMKal
10th April 2013, 05:50 PM
I've taken the opposite view on this one. I've always had a snorkel on every 4WD I've owned in the past - but on the D4 it is the one accessory that I've decided not to purchase. Don't mean to offend anyone - but I reckon the snorkels that I've seen on D3's & D4's to date would have to be one of the ugliest looking things I've ever seen bolted to a vehicle. Might not be quite so bad on a black or very dark coloured vehicle, but a black snorkle on a white D3 / D4 to me just looks shocking.

I have done a fair bit of dirt road travelling in the D4 so far, and haven't had any more build-up of dust on the air cleaner elements than I remember on the D1 and D2 previously, which both had snorkels fitted. So, while I'm gradually adding the things that I want for long distance touring and camping trips - a snorkel is not on my shopping list.

Just my opinion though. I've had plenty of people tell me that a spare wheel mounted out the back spoils the look of the D3 / D4 - but the rear wheel carrier was one of the first things that I wanted to install - the long range fuel tank that it has allowed me to install is worth its weight in gold.

discotwinturbo
10th April 2013, 06:17 PM
I do a lot of dirt road driving but use a snorkel sock.....it's incredible how dirty the sock gets. I need to fully clean it each day it's that filthy.
The air filter remains clean.
But I do follow in convoy which brings more dust up higher.
Obviously traveling without vehicles in front, would see the air filter clean.
Just another thought.
Brett.....

ade
10th April 2013, 06:26 PM
I use a donaldsoon vortex thingy on the topof my snorkel, makes a big difference.

Canaussie
10th April 2013, 06:29 PM
If ya want a snorkel at a great price pm me and I'll let ya know!