PDA

View Full Version : Service question

freemander
22nd April 2013, 03:31 PM
Hi all,

I have just purchased a used 2007 Freelander HSE 3.2ltr with 130k on the clockwith tech pack.

In purchasing the vehicle, the owner had the books stamped until (andincluding) the 80k service then nothing thereafter however ensures me that thecar has been serviced. The car was used to travel between Sydney and Melbournewith the most recent service/s here in Sydney. I am in the process ofcontacting the previous mechanic and chase up all documents he can provide.

In the mean time, I havetaken the car to my mechanic who I know and trust and told him to go over thecar thoroughly and complete a major service and if need be auto transmissionservice. He has other customers with Land Rovers including the Freelander 2 soam confident he can perform the major tasks.

My question is though, isthere anything I need to ensure is completed eg: timing belt, brake fluidflush, transmission service etc.

I cannot find a list of itemsthat need to be serviced/replaced apart from "A, B & C service"in the service book. The car so far is running fine with all visual checks Ican perform complete and am confident there will be nothing wrong with the car,we'll see what the mechanic

Thanks for your time and lookforward to long and happy time on the forum.

John

RIN03
22nd April 2013, 07:07 PM
Hi I recommend going to the TOPIx Website TOPIx - Home (http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm;jsessionid=Oe+TsBWVGVnaYkJ-EJ0hnr43.prs72905) you will need to register. Also you may need to pay to access some information but you will see what you want there

fonfe
23rd April 2013, 07:31 PM
Hi I recommend going to the TOPIx Website TOPIx - Home (http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm;jsessionid=Oe+TsBWVGVnaYkJ-EJ0hnr43.prs72905) you will need to register. Also you may need to pay to access some information but you will see what you want there

What he said!
BUT your mechanic should be doing that for you....so he knows the manufacturer recommended items. If he's not doing that then I'd be finding another mechanic who does do things by the book.

Also your ok due to the age of the vehicle but LR has just gone to electronic service history....aka you won't get a service book any more It's all electronic. On the one hand it's great as you can find out what was done, when and where for the life of the vehicle. On the other hand non dealerships don't have access to it so there will be room for used cars to supposedly have services according the the word of the previous owner as theres no book to be stamped but there's a high chance they are fibbing and it hasn't been done as often as it was meant to.

gconran
24th April 2013, 12:12 AM
Really!? When did service history go electronic? I got a new car a couple of weeks ago and still had a book?

RIN03
24th April 2013, 07:35 AM
This may help http://fotoalbum-eu.s3.amazonaws.com/images/19492/162883/00000008.jpg

fonfe
24th April 2013, 11:27 AM
Went live on Monday. (Well actually a bit before but only got told on Monday)
Cars that arrive with a service book will still retain their book but ones built without just won't get one.
Your car has probably been in aus for at least a month minimum before you picked it up so thats why you still got one.

freemander
24th April 2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks all for your feedback. The car received a clean bill of health, still chasing service records from previous owner however he assures me it has been serviced. Hopefully things should be ok, goes very well so am confident it has been serviced, just a unorganized previous owner I think.

John

mikehzz
25th April 2013, 06:48 AM
Just remember with that service schedule shown that it is in miles (UK) not kilometres. eg timing belt is at around 240k from memory.

freemander
25th April 2013, 06:12 PM
Just remember with that service schedule shown that it is in miles (UK) not kilometres. eg timing belt is at around 240k from memory.

Really!!! 240K, that seems a bit long??

mikehzz
25th April 2013, 09:46 PM

My mechanic questioned the sheet and I called Trivett in Sydney about it. I gave that sheet to my mechanic as a service guide. He couldn't believe the figure either but it is correct....in fact, the 240k service is a doosey, start saving now :)

mikehzz
30th April 2013, 06:05 PM

I just read your other post and you bought the petrol? The timing belt change I quoted was for the diesel, I don't know the interval for the petrol version...probably 100k

freemander
30th April 2013, 06:53 PM
I just read your other post and you bought the petrol? The timing belt change I quoted was for the diesel, I don't know the interval for the petrol version...probably 100k

Thanks for your assistance anyhow, I think I'll get it changed just to be sure.

mikehzz
1st May 2013, 04:59 AM
That service sheet comes from the UK and they don't have the petrol version there.

fonfe
2nd May 2013, 10:12 PM
That service sheet comes from the UK and they don't have the petrol version there.

yes they do.
Worked on a few petrol freelander 2s when I was in dealer in the uk.
Petrol v6 disco 3s we didnt get, but that's all that I'm aware of.

freemander
3rd May 2013, 06:41 PM
From what I've been told by my (non Land Rover) mechanic, there is no timing belt so no need to worry, that's probably why I have been unable to find anything about it :D

mikehzz
3rd May 2013, 10:28 PM
On freel2.com, the English guys are always complaining that they can't get the petrol in a Freelander 2. I just asked to make sure and the reply was no they do not.

Edit: More replies, it was only available for the first few years of production and discontinued after around 2008.

freemander
6th May 2013, 05:12 PM
On freel2.com, the English guys are always complaining that they can't get the petrol in a Freelander 2. I just asked to make sure and the reply was no they do not.

Edit: More replies, it was only available for the first few years of production and discontinued after around 2008.

Thanks heaps for the info Mikehzz, I'll jump on the site and grab some info.