PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar Gearbox

Series3 GT
26th April 2013, 08:33 PM
Hi all, I've been offered a Jaguar Mk II manual gearbox and I was wondering if anyone has ever put one in a Series Landy before. It is similar size to a series box but can handle over 200Hp and 300NM so I could run a V8 but I'm not sure how easy it would be to fit the Series Transfer case to it and finding an adapter plate to fit either a 3.5 Rover V8 or a Ford 302 V8. If anyone has done this or heard about it let me know, Thanks.

Graeme
27th April 2013, 11:13 AM
Of no help to you but you've just reminded me that over 40 years ago a brother's mate sought and found a gbox from an old Jag to put behind a Pontiac V8 he was fitting to his Chevy.

garrycol
27th April 2013, 11:33 AM
That gearbox is from the same family that the LT77 was developed from.

Garry

Series3 GT
27th April 2013, 09:07 PM
I remember reading about the LT77 being a descendent of the Jag box, It's a smooth little 4 speed but my only problem is the transfer case adapter and the engine adapter. I have no doubt that I could make it fit being a Series where you can make anything fit with some engineering but I don't want spend a ton of money and I don't want to take lots of time cause I use the IIA quite a bit around the farm. It's just an idea cause I was offered it for nothing and I need to make a decision about it soon.

isuzurover
27th April 2013, 10:37 PM
Chances are you can swap the jag box for something that is much better suited.

Series3 GT
29th April 2013, 09:18 PM
I'll probably leave it cause if I'm not going to use it it's just another thing laying around in the shed next to the old Series IIA gearbox, the 202 in bits, range rover panels and parts that are not needed (they are for sale) and a 100" Landy that's being built. I'll look for something a bit more suitable and easier to fit and make it work as Isuzurover said.

isuzurover
29th April 2013, 10:18 PM
An LT77S or R380 5-speed from a 200 or 300 tdi defender will almost bolt up to a 4cyl engine (or holden adapted to the 4cyl pattern) - you just need to drill a couple of holes in the bellhousing (and remove 1 stud from memory).

If using an R380 with the long bellhousing it will be easier if you swap to a "stumpy" bellhousing from Ashcroft.

At the other end, it would be just as easy to also fit the LT230 that comes with the 5-speed, than adapt the series t-case.

Series3 GT
3rd May 2013, 10:28 PM
If I had an R380 I'd be putting it in my Range Rover, I can't afford an R380 at the moment the only reason I considered the Jag gearbox is cause it was free! Thanks for the reply though, Just did a camping/hunting trip and my 2.25 petrol managed to drink 30L of fuel in less than 100Km, a lot less:(
That's very average.

Bigbjorn
4th May 2013, 01:16 PM
Of no help to you but you've just reminded me that over 40 years ago a brother's mate sought and found a gbox from an old Jag to put behind a Pontiac V8 he was fitting to his Chevy.

If that was the Moss box, then it would not have lasted long behind a decent V8. An awful piece of work was the Moss. Too low ratio in first, slow synchros, and fragile. Rodders and special builders in the 50's and 60's used them because there was little option if you wanted a four speed. I had a GMC engine special, a replica of an Allard J2. The Jimmy was quite non-standard and once chewed up a Moss box in two weeks. I believe they were originally to be used in a light truck for the pom army.