PDA

View Full Version : 101 Fuel Pump Issues

101RRS
8th May 2013, 01:17 PM
For a while now my 101 has had issues starting on cold winter mornings - no problems in summer just winter. Doesn't matter whether is gas or petrol and to get around the issue I installed a little pipe direct to the inlet manifold where I could squirt "start you bastard" direct from the cabin and start.

I tried a normal start on petrol this morning - cold but not real cold and it would not start on petrol but straight away on gas. Even after running for a little while on gas it would not run on petrol. Pulled the inline fuel filter which was clean but also hit the ignition and only got a little dribble out the fuel line so it looks like the fuel pump is cactus. I have a inline fuel pump in my spares but I decided I would prefer an original if possible.

Contacted AJ and he does not have any originals but does have an aftermarket direct replacement for the original at the bottom of the tank. The old pump comes off the current mounting hardware and the new one is installed - all the electrics and plumbing inside the tank remains the same.

Price is around $100 which is reasonable so I will let everyone how it goes. The spare I have remains in the spares box for those emergencies.

Garry

101 Ron
8th May 2013, 05:03 PM
My in tank fuel pump is suppost to be there, but I have never used it. as the after market facet pump on the side of the chassis near the gearbox has not missed a beat and primes well too.
What is good about the facet type pumps is when you turn on the ignition you can hear it working, banging away filling the carby bowls.
That is not to say there is anything wrong with the standard set up.

Mick_Marsh
8th May 2013, 06:45 PM
In your case Garry, If I was in your shoes, I'd get a good quality external pump.
I would have said Facet up until about a year ago when I bought two new ones from Autobarn and Repco and they both didn't work.
I ended up buying a Fuelmiser FPE109 from Autobarn. Bloody noisy but it works real well.
I ended up spending as much on the Fuelmiser as I did on the two Facets.

Me, for the 101's, I'd continue stuffing around wit the internal pumps. The last one I got from AJ didn't last long. Not the fault of the pump. The tank became empty and the pump rusted up. So did the sender.

101RRS
8th May 2013, 08:13 PM
The internal pumps run fine and are easy to access - whats more all the plumbing and wiring is in place. I have a spare external pump and takes about 10 minutes to install so will stay in the spares box.

Garry

101RRS
18th May 2013, 03:27 PM
I received the replacement from AJ last week and installed it today. This is a direct replacement for the standard pump that sits in the tank. For those interested the pump is a Goss GE015 and on initial appearance looks the same as the original which is an AC pump (same brand as the fuel filter housing).

For those no familar with the 101 fuel pump the fuel pipe goes down through a plate at the top of the tank and makes a right angle at the bottom of the tank - the fuel pump sits horizontally at the bottom of the tank on the end of the fuel pipe. There is a gauze that acts as a prefilter - the old one was a nice nylon mesh version where the new one is material based.

While the instructions with the pump are crap it is obvious what has to come out and what goes in - basically replace the pump, the pre filter and the rubber joiner. The new pump is about 1/4" longer then the old one so trimming the inlet port to the pump was required but all went together OK.

The old pump just provided a dribble at the fuel filter where with the pipe disconnected with the new one the fuel went everywhere before I could turn it off. When connected up the engine fired first go where before it would not start on petrol.

I have a clear inline filter that has been in since 2009 so I replaced it as well. There was no dirt in there but there is a bit on the bottom of the water trap. It looks like that as the fuel paused a bit in the water trap dirt is settling out - so it is wise to keep the clear water trap as well as the main filter.

Hopefully this has also fixed my petrol very cold start issues as well - the old pump was still working as you could hear it just not putting much fuel through. The pumps have a rotating turbine (like a windscreen washer pump) so I assume that the outside of the turbine on the old one was worn allowing fuel past with minimal fuel going up the fuel pipe.

It would have been easier to have just put in an inline pump external to the tank but I have had some bad experiences with vapour lock in previous vehicles in the past so went for an original solution with an inline solution if a have problems down the track.

Well that is another job done - next one is a 4.6 engine, install high speed tfr case gears, front locker, new kingpins and disk brakes. It never stops.

Garry

stuee
19th May 2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the info Garry. I have a complete spare 101 pump assembly with a dead pump so will look at getting the pump through AJ and keeping it as a spare.