PDA

View Full Version : 09 MY triton.

Disco Muppet
12th May 2013, 12:24 AM
Mate of mine has recently picked up an 08 MY09 GLX-R Double cab triton in petrol, 100k kms manual.
Just wondering if there are any issues with them that a worth getting on top of or checking for, nay advice whatsoever would be appreciated.
And yes. I did try and convince him to get a Land Rover. :p

Dougal
12th May 2013, 07:57 AM
Chassis folding or cracking between the body and deck.

bee utey
12th May 2013, 07:58 AM
The're not too bad, I meet them regularly through my LPG work. The only niggling failure that I'm aware of (V6 petrol) is the LH exhaust manifold cracking in half, around 150,000km depending on the usage. New ones cost in excess of $600 for genuine, or go for extractors at a similar cost. The engines are a pain to work on, access to things like starter motors is not easy. My advice would be to sell it by 200,000km.

BigJon
12th May 2013, 09:20 AM
Petrol V6 will need a timing belt at 100 000km if it hasn't already been done. Budget about a grand to have it done properly.

Tank
13th May 2013, 05:49 PM
Have been known to break chassis in half over the top of the rear wheels, where there is a bracket welded across the top of the chassis, breaks on this weld, google up Broken Tritons or something similar and you should see a few, Regards Frank.

Homestar
13th May 2013, 06:23 PM
I have 2 mates that have both had that model - moved onto other vehicles now, but they thrashed the living **** out of them and didn't have any issues in 150KKM. Both were diesels.

A customer of ours has a new one - diesel as well, that has just had to have the entire engine replaced (under warranty) when it ground to a halt a couple of months back. It had got hot on the gauge a few days earlier and he took it to the dealers. They fitted a new thermostat and sent him on his way - apparently it wasn't a thermostat issues... They wouldn't tell him exactly what the fault was.

Cobber
25th May 2013, 06:01 PM
A mate of mine had a (Diesel) Triton, same year as your mates - he recently sold it with about the same kilometres but never had any dramas with it :cool:

I have heard of a few problems of them, the most notable being the chassis welds splitting at the rear as mentioned above. I would think you would probably have to flog them, or overload them by some margin to suffer that problem though? :confused:

steane
25th May 2013, 06:23 PM
I sold an 08 Triton to buy the Landy and can confirm they are good utes.

The chassis issue has been blown way out of proportion on forums like this one, where it seems to be the one thing everyone remembers about them. The ones that have bent a chassis have usually been fitted with rear air bag helpers and then overloaded, although the owners will never admit to it.... Do not fit airbags, get the rear setup so it doesnt need them. Most DC utes have the same issue, incl Navara and Hilux.

A batch of the petrol v6s were rattly and needed to be rebuilt, something that mits handled under warranty. Aside from that not much goes wrong with them.

Water will get into the auto and transfer case on river crossings, so if its been used in anger change all fluids.

Ive seen Tritons wipe the smirkes of the faces of a few Patrol owners from time to time, they are quite capable offroad.

101RRS
25th May 2013, 06:37 PM
My brother had an 07 diesel and was actually a good car. Not sure when they changed to the longer rear tray - changed from the 3,2diesel to the 2.? diesel - these were the ones with the longer tray that cracked chassis - the earlier short tray versions did not have this issue.

Garry

Disco Muppet
26th May 2013, 10:11 AM
Hmm.
Just been out with said amigo, it's not too bad.
Very quiet and smooth, compared to a Td5 anyway :p
Gearbox seems a bit clunky although that could just be his driving.
Timing belt hasn't been done, being booked in on wednesday.
Seems to have been well looked after, just sorting out a few minor niggles, one of the driving light mounts on his factory nudge bar broke last night on a corrugated road, not sure what he'll do about that.
Cheers.