PDA

View Full Version : 101 tyres... Michelin XZL clones....

Sitec
26th May 2013, 09:20 PM
Hi guys. Just found a company in Canada with a lot of Yellowsea YS20 military tyres... So say a copy of the Michelin XZY... The Ebay item number is 230973375158... They're $385 (Canadian Dollars each). Would put this in Ebay finds but think its only relevant to 101 owners so have stuck it here! :)

goingbush
4th September 2013, 12:40 PM
Did you end up buying these or source genuine XZL's

I'm now leaning toward the 16x6.5 rims with the 255/100R16 XZL's and put up with the 100 kmh speed limiter, just handy to know about other 255/100R16 options.

Sitec
4th September 2013, 01:14 PM
Ended up buying genuine.. Jax Tyres in Ballarat can get you the remaining 4 that are currently in the country.... If they are still there.. Mine is going over the pits with standard gearing, then will get the gearing/power increase! :)

123rover50
4th September 2013, 04:12 PM
Hi guys. Just found a company in Canada with a lot of Yellowsea YS20 military tyres... So say a copy of the Michelin XZY... The Ebay item number is 230973375158... They're $385 (Canadian Dollars each). Would put this in Ebay finds but think its only relevant to 101 owners so have stuck it here! :)

What about all us 2A & 2B FC owners::angel:
and of course the one tonners if there are any out there:D

Sitec
4th September 2013, 04:20 PM
Sorry, ok... For those 101, 2B, One Tonne, OKA, Iveco 4x4, Mitsubishi Canter 4x4 owners here are some cheap alternatives to the Michelins! (Real one pictured!! ;) ). :D :wasntme:

goingbush
4th September 2013, 07:33 PM
Iveco dealer I spoke to dosen't seem to think XZL supply will be a problem
they are now listed on Miclelin Australia's website, tho I haven enquired driectly to Michelin

Michelin Australia - Tyre Catalogue - transport.michelin.com.au (http://transport.michelin.com.au/tbtyre/findalltyre/getTyreDetail/125/Z)

juddy
4th September 2013, 08:10 PM
We get a direct price with MA, have to see what we pay.

Homestar
4th September 2013, 08:27 PM
Out of interest, what sort of pressures do people run in theirs???

Mick_Marsh
4th September 2013, 08:34 PM
I think I've got 40psi in mine. They're not the Michelins though.

stuee
4th September 2013, 08:44 PM
The last tyre dealer I spoke too reckoned they could get them (XZL's) but wanted $700 each. Still tossing up the various options as I'm a fair way off purchasing.

123rover50
5th September 2013, 05:31 AM
I am running Michelin 900 - 16 XY ,s tube type and would like to know if any of you have had this problem.
They are on standard Land Rover 16 X 6.5 rims but the tyre fitters have a real job trying to get them centre.
When they are on the rim with no air the tyres are loose even when right out on the outside. They appear to be a few mm bigger than 16" and when inflated sometimes dont centre properly then wont balance.
The fitters say its because they are for split rims not well base but I did not think there was any difference as there is not a problem with the 7.50-16,s.

Didiman

Sitec
5th September 2013, 06:20 AM
Gav.. They put 50psi in mine... But yet to do any distance yet.. The 20km's or so that I did, it felt fine.

chazza
5th September 2013, 07:05 AM
They appear to be a few mm bigger than 16" and when inflated sometimes dont centre properly then wont balance.

This is not unheard of in the tyre world - ask them to try a tyre from another batch.

Tyres like most manufactured things have a tolerance and so would your rims and one might be at the upper limit and the other at the lower limit.

My tyre fitter sent a 32" tractor tyre back to the manufacturer, because it was at least an inch out of round and made the thing un-driveable at 10km/h,

Cheers Charlie

DasLandRoverMan
5th September 2013, 03:59 PM
Gav.. They put 50psi in mine... But yet to do any distance yet.. The 20km's or so that I did, it felt fine.

Piper 7 was running 30psi all round, even when it was running with the crane and recovery equipment.
We did try it with 30 front and 40 rear (like a 110) but Ian (then owner) preferred it with lower pressures on the rear.

goingbush
5th September 2013, 07:05 PM
not an XZL clone but close enough fitment

Has anyone tried Interco 35X10.50R16LT SSR-41R
8 ply 35.3" dia , load = 3415 lb
fitment = 16 x7-9 rim , should fit onto a 16x6.5

http://www.intercotire.com/tire_photos/3bw77wad4e1ftd_sm.jpg

or one of the Narrow SS LT (but they are not Radials)
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=8&g=1

MudSkull
5th September 2013, 10:49 PM
I've got Super Swampers on mine ... They are great, but noisy.

303gunner
6th September 2013, 01:04 AM
Manheim Auctions are selling a few batches of 325/85-16 Michelins (http://www.manheim.com.au/ttpm/3873333/michelin-tyres-325-85-r16?referringPage=SearchResults) (search their other listings, they have over a dozen lots of these tyres), which are a little larger than 9.00-16s at about 36" dia and 12.5" wide, but might be an economic option?

Sitec
6th September 2013, 06:19 AM
Goingbush and Stuee, there is a guy that's just listed 5 Michelin XL's on the 101 forum in the UK. I used to run these on my old 101, and they look and work well. (Know them as XCL's). Nearly as big as the 255's, and a lot better than the Bar Grips!! :) Mine were fairly knackered by the end!

101RRS
6th September 2013, 08:16 AM
Manheim Auctions are selling a few batches of 325/85-16 Michelins (http://www.manheim.com.au/ttpm/3873333/michelin-tyres-325-85-r16?referringPage=SearchResults) (search their other listings, they have over a dozen lots of these tyres), which are a little larger than 9.00-16s at about 36" dia and 12.5" wide, but might be an economic option?

Certainly too wide for standard rims and maybe even for 8" rims. I have 315/75R16s on 8" rims on my 101 and really they are a tad too wide for a 101.

roobar_and_custard
6th September 2013, 11:57 AM
Thought those XMLs looked promising for my Volvo, but then I found the Michelin data sheet. DIA 38.7" and Max speed rating 62mph (100kph).
That's way too big (the rears would rub against each other) and I'm not sure the 100kph makes them legal.
Would be great as a play set though...
Ian.

stuee
18th December 2013, 08:44 PM
Bump. Anyone heard any feedback about the Yellowsea YS20 yet? I'm currently pricing up XZL's and the best price I have so far is $730 then need tubes on top of that.

Through a contact I have there is a dealer looking to see if they can bring in the Yellowsea copies at around $450-500 each. With 5 tyres its a significant saving but they could well be crap.

Link:
yellow sea tyres,yellow sea tires-Qingdao Yellow Sea Rubber Co.,LTD (http://www.yellowseatyres.com/Proinfo.aspx?id=291)

Looking at new atm only and ideally sourcing locally as I don't want to worry about freight etc.

goingbush
18th December 2013, 09:21 PM
you can now get XZL 255/100R16 ( 9.00 R16 equiv) from Michelin Aust, as they optioned locally on the Iveco Daily 4x4 , they are tubeless so you may not even need to worry about tubes

stuee
18th December 2013, 09:38 PM
you can now get XZL 255/100R16 ( 9.00 R16 equiv) from Michelin Aust, as they optioned locally on the Iveco Daily 4x4 , they are tubeless so you may not even need to worry about tubes

Yep, they've been available for a while. Problem is the cheapest I can buy them is $730 so far and supply is sporadic. Tubeless is only good if your rims are compatible, unfortunately the 101 rims are not able to run tubeless so tubes are required (quote I had was another $42 for those :o ).

I'm very close to blowing nearly $4k on tyres, more expensive than what I bought the 101 for! At least I know if I get the XZL's I'll probably never have to buy another tyre again for the 101 due to wear.

101RRS
18th December 2013, 10:10 PM
Stuee - the XZLs are great tyres and quite a bit larger than the standard 9.00x16 but is there any reason why you want to go the XZLs - as listed in the 101 tyre thread there are alternatives that may be suitable and a lot cheaper.

Garry

Lotz-A-Landies
18th December 2013, 10:11 PM
Yep, they've been available for a while. Problem is the cheapest I can buy them is $730 so far and supply is sporadic. Tubeless is only good if your rims are compatible, unfortunately the 101 rims are not able to run tubeless so tubes are required (quote I had was another $42 for those :o ).

I'm very close to blowing nearly $4k on tyres, more expensive than what I bought the 101 for! At least I know if I get the XZL's I'll probably never have to buy another tyre again for the 101 due to wear.Probably a good time to buy now while they have current stock, as the Aussie$ drops the price will climb significantly.

The problem with tubeless cases is that the inside has not been smoothed for the tube, rather than being a benefit, its a warning. You should have the case scrupulously clean and make sure that any labels and adhesives are removed and cleaned before fitting the tyre.

Using talc to reduce friction on the tube inside the case is also a good idea.

stuee
18th December 2013, 10:36 PM
Stuee - the XZLs are great tyres and quite a bit larger than the standard 9.00x16 but is there any reason why you want to go the XZLs - as listed in the 101 tyre thread there are alternatives that may be suitable and a lot cheaper.

Garry

I quite like the stance the 101 has with the XZL's and the fact they don't stick out a great deal. Most of the alternatives I like require a new set of rims which brings the price close to or higher than what the XZL's cost. The larger size should hopefully bring the cruising speed up a little too which will be handy for me as I don't have an overdrive.

I like Ron's Simexes but they seem much more orientated to mud than the sand and limestone that I would mostly take the 101 out on. And they seem to need widened rims. Dealers are also hard to come by over here (only one that I know of).

There are a few good alternative tyres available for 17" rims but they obviously require completely custom rims which would probably have to come from over east. Most people over here aren't interested in this sort of thing (making custom rims or modifying them).

Brute
18th December 2013, 11:07 PM
Stuee,
I,m pretty sure Summerfields Eng in Baldivis are still making / modifying rims to customer spec, got the Rangy ute ones from them. But as you say it adds a wad on to the price of the tyre change.
I will be looking for tyres fairly soon so don't know if we could get a better price for 10 off.

Cheers
Ian

Sitec
19th December 2013, 08:07 AM
There was 4 in Sydney, and they were available thru Jax Tyres in Balarat... :)

Lotz-A-Landies
19th December 2013, 08:39 AM

I'm very close to blowing nearly $4k on tyres, more expensive than what I bought the 101 for! At least I know if I get the XZL's I'll probably never have to buy another tyre again for the 101 due to wear.Brian "B 52" from Kalgoolie is coming over to Sydney in the next couple of weeks, he will be returning with 2 X No.5 trailers. There may be room for some 9.00 16s.

stuee
19th December 2013, 09:56 AM
Stuee,
I,m pretty sure Summerfields Eng in Baldivis are still making / modifying rims to customer spec, got the Rangy ute ones from them. But as you say it adds a wad on to the price of the tyre change.
I will be looking for tyres fairly soon so don't know if we could get a better price for 10 off.

Cheers
Ian

I'll give them a call today to see what costs are to get some new rims made up. They are supposed to be just down the road from my work so shouldn't be too hard to drop one of my spare rims off to get copied if they are interested.

edit* not sure where they are actually, there's supposedly a Summerfield Eng in Kenwick too?

edit2* Widened rims will cost around the $150 mark if the centres are compatible with their current tooling. It doesn't seem new custom rims are an option. Simexes are around the $550 mark. Next options are the 315/75r16 size which are a bit smaller and slightly reduced gearing, although probably available for $400-450 each. Starting to go off topic from the yellowsea options now though, more back to the sticky 9.00x16 thread.

101RRS
19th December 2013, 10:07 AM
Any tyre dealer that sells Michelin can get the XZLs but they may not know it as the XZLs are not in some of the older catalogues. Get the dealer to call Michelin and usually all is sorted. These tyres have been available for quite a few years.

The last time I checked - about 3 years ago - I was quoted between $650 to $800 a tyre so the price you have been quoted is probably about right.

Garry

Lotz-A-Landies
19th December 2013, 10:32 AM
Any tyre dealer that sells Michelin can get the XZLs but they may not know it as the XZLs are not in some of the older catalogues. Get the dealer to call Michelin and usually all is sorted. These tyres have been available for quite a few years.

The last time I checked - about 3 years ago - I was quoted between $650 to $800 a tyre so the price you have been quoted is probably about right.

GarryThey are recorded as the standard tyre for Land Rover Forward Controls in the 1965 version of the SIIa/SIIb parts catalogue.

101RRS
19th December 2013, 11:28 AM
They are recorded as the standard tyre for Land Rover Forward Controls in the 1965 version of the SIIa/SIIb parts catalogue.

Might have has the same name but in a different size (imperial vs metric) and certainly not a radial.

Sitec
19th December 2013, 11:46 AM
I chose to stay with the 255/100 R16's as they fit the std rims, end up sitting flush with the side of the vehicle and still look the part.....

Sitec
19th December 2013, 11:52 AM
Your other option if you are going to the expense of gettings rims widened etc, are to go up to a 19.5" rim and then use a truck tyre like the one pictured. I'll have to look back thru my paperwork, but I know these are the same outside dia as the Michelin 255/100 R16's... This also gives you the option of huge disks in the front. :D

Sitec
19th December 2013, 11:58 AM
Here's 19.5's on an OKA. I think they'd look fine on a 101....

DasLandRoverMan
19th December 2013, 07:22 PM
101's look fine on 20" Unimog rims, so 19.5's aren't going to be a huge difference.

The main benefit of having rims modified to suit different/cheaper/more available tyres is that if for some reason something should happen to write off a tyre (sidewall ripped open etc) then getting a replacement is also cheaper, easier etc.
I suspect most tyre dealers can get hold of 315/75 R16's as several companies make them, as opposed to having to go to Michelin, have one ordered in and pay twice the price for it.

101 centres welded into Disco 1 (7.5 inch wide?) or Disco II/P38 (8 inch wide) steel wheels would give you a nice wide set of tubeless 101 rims to suit such options as 285/75 R16 or 315/76 R16.