PDA

View Full Version : AG Brew

Aussie
6th June 2013, 09:29 PM
Gunna do my 1st All grain brew this weekend. I cant seem to get a decent Can/extract brew to bottle. They work fine when I Keg them but not having much luck at all with bottles. I'm going to try the BIAB method.

jazzaD1
6th June 2013, 09:39 PM
BIAB is a great method, be careful, its addictive!

i came across this site today, hop dealz australia (http://www.hopdealzaustralia.com/)
they have great prices and a huge range of different hops, makes me wish i was still brewing!

lpower85
8th June 2013, 08:22 AM
Care to share the recipe you are using?

Aussie
10th June 2013, 09:59 PM
Care to share the recipe you are using?

Starting with a very simple receipe, this one should make me 10L of "melbourne Bitter" or so they say. I'll bung it in my 10L party keg. All up approx 8 bucks to make. Once I get the hang off it I'll try a more complex beer.

2Kg ale malt
12g Pride of Ringwood Hops for 60 minutes
safale US05 yeast

Edit: Didn't get to make it this weekend, I've got a Stout in the fermenter which I thought would be ready for kegging but it needed a few extra days, gunna have a go tomorrow or wednesday.

jazzaD1
10th June 2013, 11:25 PM
simple is the way to go in the beginning, it takes a few goes to get the process right, you will soon work out how to best keep the temperatures in the right range etc.

it gets even cheaper if you decide to reuse/wash your yeast, brews will drop to ~$3-4 each then

Aussie
11th June 2013, 10:41 PM
simple is the way to go in the beginning, it takes a few goes to get the process right, you will soon work out how to best keep the temperatures in the right range etc.

it gets even cheaper if you decide to reuse/wash your yeast, brews will drop to ~$3-4 each then

yeah the more I look at BIAB the more I wish I had of seem/done it years ago. It does take longer but once I have a few brews under my belt I reckon I can cut the time down heaps. I made it today and was lots of fun, the Mrs hated the barley stench I said Its not as bad as my farts deal with it. Anyhow ended up with SG 1040 @ 22C I guess that's ok? If it tastes as good as they say I think I'll keep on motoring down the BIAB road :) I'll know in a few days as the small batch of 9L don't take long to ferment

Aussie
19th June 2013, 08:48 PM
Well I just kegged the brew, Final Gravity was 1006 @ 22C so Alcohol content should be around 4.3%. I'll give it 24 hours to gas up then give her a taste.

Andy_Chil
20th June 2013, 08:39 AM
I'm keen to have a crack at this BIAB caper. Have you got any good web links with method and instructions.

Aussie
20th June 2013, 10:31 AM
This is the thread I followed to learn how to do it.

Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks - Partial Mash Brewing - Aussie Home Brewer (http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/38674-move-to-all-grain-for-thirty-bucks/)

Aussie
20th June 2013, 03:52 PM
well the results are in and I'm really impressed, I am drinking it now and I'm converted, Its 100% better than any can/extract that I have made in the past.

Pros - Better tasting beer, much cheaper than cans/extract, I made a carton/slab for $6!!!, its very contagious i am about to make my next one..lol, lovely barley smell in your kitchen when all those lovely sugaz are fermenting.

cons - takes longer to make, took me a hour to steep the grain, then another 60 mins to boil, then chilling the wort down to the right temp where you can pitch. you'll get fat coz your making cheap, great tasting beer plus a messy kitchen too.

Seriously though if you use cans on a regular basis like me the extra effort to BIAB is worth it.

Cheers

isuzurover
20th June 2013, 04:02 PM
well the results are in and I'm really impressed, I am drinking it now and I'm converted, Its 100% better than any can/extract that I have made in the past.

Pros - Better tasting beer, much cheaper than cans/extract, I made a carton/slab for $6!!!, its very contagious i am about to make my next one..lol, lovely barley smell in your kitchen when all those lovely sugaz are fermenting.

cons - takes longer to make, took me a hour to steep the grain, then another 60 mins to boil, then chilling the wort down to the right temp where you can pitch. you'll get fat coz your making cheap, great tasting beer plus a messy kitchen too.

Seriously though if you make use cans on a regular basis like me the extra effort to BIAB is worth it.

Cheers

I know a guy who makes a lot of really good quality beer and only uses AG methods. He often imports his malts from Germany in 20 kg bags!

His wife won't let him make it in the kitchen - he uses a gas burner in the carport and a pulley system to move the tuns.

What did you use to chop/grind the malt?

Aussie
20th June 2013, 05:14 PM
I know a guy who makes a lot of really good quality beer and only uses AG methods. He often imports his malts from Germany in 20 kg bags!

His wife won't let him make it in the kitchen - he uses a gas burner in the carport and a pulley system to move the tuns.

What did you use to chop/grind the malt?

the place I buy my grain from grinds it for me and no extra charge. I was thinking of buying a grinder but no point really. Pulley system wow, he's not far off being a micro brewery.