PDA

View Full Version : Recovery gear.

Disco_Rock
8th June 2013, 06:41 AM
Can someone recommend good recovery gear that doesn't break the bank, I'm looking for a winch accessory kit for the D2.

Thanks.

weeds
8th June 2013, 09:17 AM
most of mine come from ARB years ago........my thoughts at the time were go with good quality, these days its a pretty competitive market and hard to determine quality

i have the following

tree protector
snatch block
length of chain
snatch strap
4 bow shackles
long handle shovel

THE BOOGER
8th June 2013, 11:02 AM
Providing anything you buy has the Australian standards tag it should be ok you can look at tigerz11 and supercheap and pick what you want at reasonable prices.
For winch recovery look at
gloves
winch extension strap
4 D shackles 8t not 4t
tree protector
equalizer strap
pully block
and a long shovel
Then head out to monkey gum and try and get stuck:p

Loubrey
13th June 2013, 01:27 PM
Can someone recommend good recovery gear that doesn't break the bank, I'm looking for a winch accessory kit for the D2.

Thanks.

You don't need a "full" kit to start with, and I would personally recommend buying the best quality you can afford even if you buy it over a couple of months. The shovel is always a good starting point because a bit of shoveling will make any recovery a lot easier.

Keeping and storing any recovery gear correctly will allow it to be used safely for 10 or more years, so look at it as an investment.

I agree with the list below and I would suggest the following sequence if you are going to build a kit up (not buy it all at once).

1. Tree Protector
2. Bow Shackles x 2 (8 ton as suggested)
3. Winch Blanket (especially if you're using wire rope)
4. Pulley Block
5. Equalizer Bridle
6. D Shackles x 2 to suit your own recovery points (8 ton as suggested)

Chain is heavy and difficult to handle, especially when covered in mud and I've not carried one of those in many year now...

Cheers,

Lou

shorty943
20th June 2013, 05:43 PM
Don't forget a next door neighbour with a 4WD.:D
Mine came in very handy today as I got the new (to me) Disco nicely bogged down to the diffs.

So, next thing on my shopping list is a good snatch strap, and some good traction plates.
And a good solid ground anchor is also a boon. Were no trees where I got bogged down.

I agree with all the rest of the gear too, winches are pretty easy to buy these days, even a good "comealong" will work in a pinch, just means more manual labour to get yourself out.

Maybe a couple of good strong manilla ropes, with soft eyes spliced into each end.
And shackles, lots of strong 8T shackles, I always seem to lose the pins for mine.:confused:

NavyDiver
20th June 2013, 07:06 PM
Still struggling to break some Aldi winch extension straps myself. It was a little short but two work a treat which is great as they are never coming apart :cool:

You can use rolled up news paper instead of shackles and this will not take your head off like a shackle could if thing go pear shape :D

Thread the eye of extension strap through both eyes of your tree protector, put the eye over the extension strap then pull a loop of the extension strap though the eye of the extension strap. Put a rolled up magazine or thick rolled up news paper between the eye and the loop and pull the strap back through the eye until the rolled up paper locks the lot for you. Saw this on a 4wd show- funny as but it does work.
I think Mud Terrain tires are the bees knees myself and my winch is not used as often as when I was on AT tires. A good shovel is a must as is tire deflator and compressor too.

Hymie
20th June 2013, 08:02 PM
Can I ask why you are recommending 8 Tonne Shackles?
Seems to be overkill to me....

roverrescue
20th June 2013, 08:02 PM
Forget the winch extension just get
200m of 12mm dyneema

Oh okay start with a 30 or better still a couple of hanks of 30 then work upwards
Dont need to be fancy terminated ones just seal the ends with a hot knife.
Tie a bowline - load it to the max then enjoy the wonder of watching a knot be untied in woven rope ;)

Dyneema is so light and strong I would never both with strap winch extensions any more.
Especially if you end up in tea tree country and need to make some yards

And as above - in any good recovery you will always lose a shackle or a pin. Replace the lost one with two and build up a collection of eight or more ;)

Steve

Loubrey
21st June 2013, 12:03 AM
Can I ask why you are recommending 8 Tonne Shackles?
Seems to be overkill to me....

Hymie,

If all shackle ratings were uniform with test certificates issued on purchase over and above the moulded or stamped "rating" I would agree with you. "Ratings" on shackles have been discussed at length here and considering the small the size and relative price difference, it is just prudent to err on the safe side.

No hard and fast rules, just advice.

Cheers,

Lou

isuzutoo-eh
21st June 2013, 05:04 PM
Hymie,

If all shackle ratings were uniform with test certificates issued on purchase over and above the moulded or stamped "rating" I would agree with you. "Ratings" on shackles have been discussed at length here and considering the small the size and relative price difference, it is just prudent to err on the safe side.

No hard and fast rules, just advice.

Cheers,

Lou

Make sure your shackles fit with your recovery points! I had swivel recovery eyes on my previous tube bar that would only take ~3.5 tonne shackles.

TheTree
26th June 2013, 04:55 PM
Hi,

I carry recovery tracks as well, picked up some roll up ones from Repco a couple of months ago at a good price.

I definitely agree a shovel comes first :D

Steve

FeatherWeightDriver
26th June 2013, 09:33 PM
For the chapskates like me, old rolls of carpet cut down to tyre width work quite well in the sand.

TerryO
6th July 2013, 04:50 PM
You can use rolled up news paper instead of shackles and this will not take your head off like a shackle could if thing go pear shape :D

Thread the eye of extension strap through both eyes of your tree protector, put the eye over the extension strap then pull a loop of the extension strap though the eye of the extension strap. Put a rolled up magazine or thick rolled up news paper between the eye and the loop and pull the strap back through the eye until the rolled up paper locks the lot for you. Saw this on a 4wd show- funny as but it does work.

This is very good advice, much safer than using shackles when joining together snatch straps. Make sure you use something like rolled up paper or a short stout twig etc or you will never get the two straps apart.