PDA

View Full Version : D3 TDV6HSE sticking in first gear???

tafeng
7th July 2013, 03:46 PM
Hi
Has anyone heard of this problem. It was very intermittent but is becoming more regular.
In auto sometimes the car refuses to change from first to second gear. If I slip the shifter over to command shift and + it changes up straight away. If I slip it back over to auto the gears change normally until at some random future time after stopping - eg at traffic lights - it will again stubbornly remain in first gear!
I asked the LR mechanic to check but of course it worked perfectly with no sign of 'sticking' for him:mad:. He said there were no 'notifications' on it and hadn't come across it before.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

WhiteD3
7th July 2013, 04:14 PM
Does it stick to 1st forever or will it eventually change up to 2nd?

My D4 does this sometimes. Hangs onto 1st to about 3k; my impression is that it happens from a rolling start.

scarry
7th July 2013, 04:27 PM
Does it stick to 1st forever or will it eventually change up to 2nd?

My D4 does this sometimes. Hangs onto 1st to about 3k; my impression is that it happens from a rolling start.

Mine also does it similar to WhiteD3 which i think is normal.

Mine does it only if hot,and you take off down a steep hill,from being stopped, with little or no throttle.Eventually it will change by itself or you can speed the change up with a bit more throttle.

tafeng
7th July 2013, 05:34 PM
It just hangs on and refuses to change - I'm not sure what revs I've had it up to but I know it's been quite high and refuse to change. I'll try revving it out and see what happens - problem is it's so random and usually happens from a stop at traffic lights or corners - not good places to be experimenting and I've started to just flick it into cammand shift and change up.
I'll try revvving it out and let you know.
Thanks for replying!

Rich84
8th July 2013, 08:25 AM
Check for uneven wear on your front and rear tires, left to right. If the trans control unit senses that one wheel is spinning quicker than the other (only by a bit over 1kmh!) then it will assume the car is turning a corner and will not shift gears automatically. Otherwise perform a fluid level check. Does it shift smoothly otherwise? Do you get any flare between gears?

CaverD3
10th July 2013, 12:24 PM
Re-flash transmission ECU, update transmission software or transfer case calibration?

tafeng
14th July 2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks Guys
As it is intermittent it doesn't always doe it.
I had chance to test a couple of things this weekend when it was being temperamental (or maybe just mental) again.
WhiteD3 - It does eventually change up if I rev it out to about 4500 rpm. I discovered that it's also sticking in second - but will eventually change up at about 4500rpm haven't noticed this before because that's well over the general 60kph suburban speed limit.
Rich84 - All tyres are only about 4 months old and in good nick! Recently and regularly serviced including fluid level checks.
CaverD3 - Thanks I'll talk to Ayers who service it about the tech stuff!

Appreciate the advice and I'll let you know how it progresses.

Rich84
15th July 2013, 06:39 AM
Do you drive with a pretty heavy foot? The transmission tends to adapt to the way you drive. You could try doing a hard reset:

1. remove the battery terminals
2. touch the negative and positive leads together

And see if that changes the situation at all.

CaverD3
15th July 2013, 09:22 AM
I don't think a hard re-set will reset the adaptive transmission settings. You need MSV2 or similar. Stand to be corrected though.

Rich84
15th July 2013, 09:46 AM
I noticed after I had been driving my car a bit harder than usual, it would hang in 4th a few seconds longer, ie entering motorways.

When I had it apart a couple of weeks ago I had the battery terminals off. The car resumed normal shifting after I put it back together, so I think maybe it does clear the trans adaptations. Not sure, just my experience.

CaverD3
15th July 2013, 09:51 AM
If if worked for rich it is worth a try.
Hard reset can fix electronic glitches where things get hung up. So quite poss may work.

Plane Fixer
15th July 2013, 11:41 AM
I disconnected my battery as I was going to be away for a couple of months. The change in the whole car was noticeable when I come back home and drove it again as the engine and gearbox were a lot smoother and there was also a lot more get up and go.

Epic pooh
15th July 2013, 05:53 PM
I have had my gearbox innapropriately hold first - in a consistent spot all the time, so wrote it off to 'normal behaviour'. Then had an AMK compressor fitted, paid the dealer to do the update (suprisingly reasonable $66 and done on the spot while I waited btw) and whatever they did has eliminated the problem and made the car more sparky and smooth. I'm thinking they cleared adaptive learning and will get around to asking them one day.

Epic pooh
10th August 2013, 11:24 AM
Further to my last, my D3 had reverted to it's bad old ways (inappropriate gear shifts / "slushy" unresponsive feeling) after an electrical fault (now fixed).

So I used my IIDTool to reset both transmission and engine ECU adaptive learning and ... it's back to it's normal sparkly self. I also noticed that the IIDTool manual recommends that 'reset adaptive learning transmission ECU' is recommended when fluid is changed in transmission.

On a not totally related note, I also noticed that the latest update to IIDTool includes the ability to update the compressor software to the latest version for the AMK compressor.

HTH someone !

tafeng
11th October 2014, 07:29 AM
Hi and thanks for all your advice.
I know it's been a while - but here's the story.
I tried the battery disconnect and had a number of discussions with the mechanics.
As it remained intermittent there was little to do and I didn't want to spend lots of money on the chance something might or might not work.
The problem slowly worsened until I just used manual select all the time.
I was sick of it and ready to sell and never look at another Land Rover but before I had the chance something else went wrong.
Driving along Pacific Highway at 70k suddenly got chime warning and dash message - "suspension has been lowered - HDC not available" (or something similar) and the suspension warning light came on. Suspension was on the bumper stops as we limped to a friend's house and wondered what to do. A few hours later started up and - no warning lights and as we gingerly accelerated suspension came up to highway level.. Decided to return home but halfway there the same thing happened - slowly limped home and then to the mechanic next day.
When picking up the car, the mechanic explained he had fixed the problem --BY REPLACING THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH - What!??? What about the DSC warning and the suspension drop etc. - Response "It seems like there are a few things connected to the brake light switch, but that was the diagnostic indication and it's fixed the problem". Needless to say I was happy about the cost to repair what I thought was going to be a major disaster - but incredulous that could really be the cause.

Drove very carefully for a few days and the probelm did not recur BUT..
BUT..
YES - you guessed it - The gears - in auto - changed nice and snappy exactly like it's supposed to. I thought this was just becaus it had been an intermittent problem, but it has been a few months now and the auto gear shift has not missed a beat ever since!!!!!

I don't get it but I'm not questioning it - the faultyBRAKE LIGHT SWITCH must have been responsible for an electrical fault in the auto shift.

(I had originally said to the mechanic I thought it was an electrical problem rather than a gear box problem as the maunal change never had any problems).

Despite advice from non-Landy friends to "sell it quick before something else goes wrong" I am once again in love and it's been beautiful to drive for months - so I think I'll be keeping it!
Thanks again all for your advice - it may be worth storing this in the communal memory banks for future use!!

~Rich~
11th October 2014, 09:04 AM
I always carry a spare brake light switch!
Funny how brake light globes or the switch can result in a multitude of other problems.

TerryO
11th October 2014, 09:30 AM
Did I read previously that there is a FORD badged brake light switch that is more reliable and durable than the LR sold unit?