PDA

View Full Version : D3/4/RRS 7th - 8th Sept Off Road Trip Update

TerryO
24th July 2013, 10:27 PM
Updated 12th Aug 6:40 pm ....22 confirmed participants.

When: Trip Date weekend of 7th - 8th September
Where: a number of Tracks Around The Lithgow Area
What Vehicles: D3/4/RRS Only.

Below so far to date are the names received in the poll and posts is as follows;

If I have put you in the wrong list or missed you out please cut and paste this list and add your name in where it needs to be. If your name isn't on this list and you would like to come along either add your name or pm me.

ATTENDING:
Discoweb. .........................D3 .............plus overnight
Glenns. .............................D3.
Jon3950. ...........................D4 .............plus overnight
Jonesy63. ..........................D4 .............plus overnight
Phl. ..................................D4
Rocmic. .............................D3 .............possible overnight
SBD4. ...............................D4
Rich. ................................D3 .............Plus overnight
Rb30gtr. ...........................D3
AnD3rew. ..........................D3
Tote.................................D3 ............Plus overnight
Minibloodhound. .................D4 .............Plus overnight
Redback. ..........................D4 .............Plus overnight
TerryO..............................D3 .............Plus overnight
Dav34e. ............................D4
Steve223. .........................D3 .............Plus overnight
Simoncs. ...........................D4?
Drowell. .............................D4 ............Possibly overnight
Jimmy Salsa. ......................RRS ..........Plus overnight
SimmAus. ..........................D4 ............Plus overnight
Eddomark. .........................D4 ............Plus overnight
SWH. ................................D4

POSSIBLE:
Geddublya. .........................D4
Mechanic2you.
Plane Fixer. ........................D4
Disco4now. ........................D4
Zedd. ................................D3
Eddomak. ........................D4 ....Now Confirmed & Camping
Epic Pooh. ..........................D3
CaverD3. ............................D3
Ducks' Guts. .......................D4
mattt. ...............................D3

Below is the link to the thread in the Trips section.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/upcoming-events/177694-nsw-d3-4-rrs-only-september-off-road-trip.html

TerryO
28th July 2013, 06:27 PM
Well we have our first confirmed Range Rover Sport for the September Lithgow trip.

On top of that its Black Betty the RRS that has featured many times in 4WD Misadventures. The owner who goes under the forum name of Jimmy Salsa is considering making this trip into the next 4WD Misadventure feature.

James (Jimmy Salsa) has asked that those going on the trip and would like to have the opportunity of being in the feature agree to certain conditions. He has put these forward in a post that is in the D3/4/RRS trips section.

I invite everyone involved in the trip to have a read of what James has had to say and either comment or pm me if they would prefer not to be in the feature. It is not a problem at all if people don't want to be in the 4WD Misadventure feature.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/upcoming-events/177694-nsw-d3-4-rrs-only-september-off-road-trip.html

TerryO
4th August 2013, 09:43 PM
I went and checked out Lake Lyell Recreation Park today, I have put up a number of pics of the camp site I have booked for the weekend.

Please click on the link and have a read of the info I have found out along with a number of pictures of the area I have booked. Providing people's tents aren't huge there should be plenty of room or everyone.

TerryO
8th August 2013, 12:27 AM
As mentioned previously one of the important things to have on this trip is a UHF radio so as to be able to communicate back and fort with the others in your group.

For those of you who don't have one please let me know ASAP as I have a limited number of hand held 5w radio's that I can bring along.

jonesy63
8th August 2013, 10:26 PM
Hi Terry - I have a few low power handhelds if we run short.

TerryO
8th August 2013, 10:32 PM
Sounds good Rob thanks.

TerryO
12th August 2013, 07:28 PM
This coming Saturday DiscoWeb, Jonesy63 and I will be doing a recce up at the various tracks around Lithgow to sort out a schedule for the D3/D4/RRS Off Road Trip on the weekend of the 7th - 8th September.

As of this afternoon there are 22 D3/4/RRS vehicles coming to the Sept weekend trip. The latest to confirm are Eddomak and today SWH.

I would ask those who are confirmed for the trip and who are planning on camping at the Lake Lyell Camp Ground to book their spot soon.

TerryO
14th August 2013, 07:03 PM
Below is an update cut and pasted from the post in the Trips Section. I would ask everyone going to have a read and get back to me by pm or cut and past the list yourself and update your own details and what group you want to be in thanks.

Updated please read

For those who have not done much off roading I am hoping that we can organise a session each day that will go over the finer points of how to make the most of the D3/4/RRS's Terrain Response system.

Given the number of members who have said they are coming we will more than likely need to run at least two groups each day otherwise it could take a very long time to get through some of the more challenging sections. The idea at this stage will be will to head off together each morning do a couple of sections then split up into the two groups.

The other reason for two groups is there will be some who may prefer not to do the most challenging tracks, while some others will prefer to o mainly the harder tracks.

So we can get this organised can everyone please nominate which group they would like to be in to start off with. Changing between groups won't be a problem. As has been said previously no one should feel pressured to do any track they don't feel comfortable doing. The majority of tracks up there have an alternate track that runs alongside the harder track.

Please PM me regarding what level group you want to nominate for, being either Medium (C) or Harder ( B )

ATTENDING: ..................Model ..........Camping? ..........................Trip Level
Phl. ..................................D4 .................................................. .......C
Rich. ................................D3 .............Plus overnight. ........................B
Tote..................................D3 .............Plus overnight
Minibloodhound. .................D4 .............Plus overnight .........................B
TerryO..............................D3 .............Plus overnight .........................C
Jimmy Salsa. ......................RRS ..........Plus overnight. .......................B
SimmAus. ..........................D4 ............Plus overnight ........................C
Eddomak. . .........................D4 ............Plus overnight. ......................C
SWH. ................................D4 ............Plus overnight .........................B

POSSIBLE:
Mechanic2you.

As I said if I have any of this wrong please cut and paste the list and put your name, vehicle model, overnight status, which list you should be in etc. Or pm me and I will update this list.

Geedublya
16th August 2013, 09:59 AM
ATTENDING: ..................Model ..........Camping? ..........................Trip Level
Phl. ..................................D4 .................................................. .......C
Rich. ................................D3 .............Plus overnight. ........................B
Minibloodhound. .................D4 .............Plus overnight .........................B
Redback. ..........................D4 .............Plus overnight..........................B
TerryO..............................D3 .............Plus overnight .........................C
Jimmy Salsa. ......................RRS ..........Plus overnight. .......................B
SimmAus. ..........................D4 ............Plus overnight ........................C
Eddomak. . .........................D4 ............Plus overnight. ......................C
SWH. ................................D4 ............Plus overnight .........................B
Geedublya. .........................D4 ............Plus overnight .........................B

POSSIBLE:
Mechanic2you.

Duck's Guts
16th August 2013, 05:47 PM
Redback. ..........................D4 .............Plus overnight..........................B
Geedublya. .........................D4 ............Plus overnight .........................B
Ducks' Guts ........................D4 ............Plus overnight .........................B

POSSIBLE:
Mechanic2you.

TerryO
17th August 2013, 06:11 AM
UPDATE. ...24 Attending so far to date :)

ATTENDING...................Model..........Camping ..................Trip Level
Glenns. .............................D3. .................................................. C
Jon3950. ...........................D4 ...........plus overnight. ...................C
Jonesy63. ..........................D4 ...........plus overnight
Phl. ..................................D4. .................................................. C
Rocmic. .............................D3 ...........plus overnight. ..................B
SBD4. ...............................D4 .................................................. C
Rich. ................................D3 ............Plus overnight....................B
Tote..................................D3 ............Plus overnight.....................B
Minibloodhound. .................D4 ...........Plus overnight.....................B
Redback. ..........................D4 ............Plus overnight.....................B
TerryO..............................D3............ .Plus overnight.....................C
Steve223. .........................D3 ............Plus overnight.....................B
Drowell. .............................D4 ...........Possibly overnight
Jimmy Salsa. ......................RRS ..........Plus overnight....................B
SimmAus. ..........................D4 ............Plus overnight....................C
Eddomak... .........................D4 ............Plus overnight....................C
SWH. ................................D4.............Plu s overnight....................B
Ducks' Guts. .......................D4. ...........Plus overnight
Geddublya. ........................D4..............Plus overnight....................C

POSSIBLE:
mattt. ................................D3

simoncs
19th August 2013, 10:41 AM
booked into camping. as for the tracks - very keen to push as hard as I can go, but hoping to avoid damage, if that makes sense. Tracks like the pipeline seem to have very high sides which would seem to come very close to body panels, from what I can see, which worries me a bit...
Having said that, I have very rubbery arms :p

Very excited about this trip - I have done a couple of 4wd courses, but I hope to learn loads more from this, as it sounds like there are people on this trip that know specifically just how capable the D3/D4's are.

Glenns. .............................D3. .................................................. C
Jon3950. ...........................D4 ...........plus overnight. ...................C
Phl. ..................................D4. .................................................. C
Rocmic. .............................D3 ...........plus overnight. ..................B
SBD4. ...............................D4 .................................................. C
Rich. ................................D3 ............Plus overnight....................B
Tote..................................D3 ............Plus overnight.....................B
Minibloodhound. .................D4 ...........Plus overnight.....................B
Redback. ..........................D4 ............Plus overnight.....................B
TerryO..............................D3............ .Plus overnight.....................C
Steve223. .........................D3 ............Plus overnight.....................B
Simoncs. ...........................D4 ............Plus overnight.....................B/C?
Jimmy Salsa. ......................RRS ..........Plus overnight....................B
SimmAus. ..........................D4 ............Plus overnight....................C
Eddomak... .........................D4 ............Plus overnight....................C
SWH. ................................D4.............Plu s overnight....................B
Geddublya. ........................D4..............Plus overnight....................C

TerryO
19th August 2013, 09:57 PM
In case I have not mentioned this previously, for those of you who don't want to actually camp but would like to spend the night around Lithgow there is one place that we have stayed at that is pretty good.

I don't have the phone number on me but the Motel is called the Zig Zag Motel and it also has a pretty good restaurant.

Redback
20th August 2013, 08:16 AM
There is also this info for anyone interested in spending the night in Lithgow.

It's a list of B&Bs, pub stays, van parks and so on.

Lithgow Accommodation - Land Use Strategy (http://www.tourism.lithgow.com/accommodation.html)

Baz.

Yorkie
20th August 2013, 10:07 AM
There is also this info for anyone interested in spending the night in Lithgow.

It's a list of B&Bs, pub stays, van parks and so on.

Lithgow Accommodation - Land Use Strategy (http://www.tourism.lithgow.com/accommodation.html)

Baz.

do any of them do lattes? with chilly weather forecast some might need a fluffy pillow and a warm bed. :p

Redback
20th August 2013, 10:15 AM
do any of them do lattes? with chilly weather forecast some might need a fluffy pillow and a warm bed. :p

All this coming from someone who just bought a caravan, maybe you could go on a girly trip with Terry one day:ehand:

TerryO
26th August 2013, 09:31 AM
This is one for the Mexicans ...:p

Melbourne based Herr Blick has decided to come up for the D3/4/RRS weekend in early September and asked if I knew of any other Victorians also coming up for it.

So the question is are any other of our Vic cousins coming up for the trip and if so how about contacting Steve (Herr Blick).

Yorkie
26th August 2013, 10:13 AM
All this coming from someone who just bought a caravan, maybe you could go on a girly trip with Terry one day:ehand:

i may just come up and use the powered sites, might try some fishing instead of 4wding... :p

minibloodhound
26th August 2013, 10:50 AM

Melbourne based Herr Blick has decided to come up for the D3/4/RRS weekend in early September and asked if I knew of any other Victorians also coming up for it.

So the question is are any other of our Vic cousins coming up for the trip and if so how about contacting Steve (Herr Blick).
You could always invite Robert Pepper (the 4wd handbook). Not sure if he is on here but he owns an ex G4 D3 and does freelance articles for different mags here and in England. Would probably be interested in 20+ D3/D4/RRS getting together.

SBD4
26th August 2013, 11:40 AM
You could always invite Robert Pepper (the 4wd handbook). Not sure if he is on here but he owns an ex G4 D3 and does freelance articles for different mags here and in England. Would probably be interested in 20+ D3/D4/RRS getting together.

He sure is on here AKA "rmp". He moderates this forum and is responsible for creating the FAQ and "Show us your Disco/Sport" threads amongst others.

minibloodhound
26th August 2013, 01:44 PM
I knew that. I take notice of all of what the moderators are about.:angel:

herrBlick
26th August 2013, 02:07 PM
I recently went on. Terrain response trip with him up Lake Mountain, maybe I will drop him an email

Mike_S
26th August 2013, 10:16 PM

Would've loved to do this and trundle up from Melbourne, sadly we're already booked at Mount Buller on the Sunday for a few days of skiing so driving there & back on the Friday / Saturday isn't really possible. I'll get to meet the enigma that is Jamie Gilmore another time :D

Boofla
26th August 2013, 10:42 PM
Hi guys,

I'd love to bring my sport but at this stage I wouldn't have her ready enough I'm afraid....
I've still got to replace the drier on the compressor, order my off road wheels and tyres and still thinking about putting a bill bar on it.
Plus get the whiney diff looked at....

Cheers

kaz11
27th August 2013, 07:36 AM
There's still time to add another Sport or 25 to the lineup to even the numbers a bit. Anyone? :D

minibloodhound
27th August 2013, 04:56 PM
There's still time to add another Sport or 25 to the lineup to even the numbers a bit. Anyone? :D

Yeah, we need all the sports we can to do the latte and croissant runs.........:p

~Rich~
27th August 2013, 05:02 PM
I thought most of them where driven by footballers or drug dealers!

I said most - not the owner/ drivers here of course!

Boofla
27th August 2013, 05:33 PM
Yeah, we need all the sports we can to do the latte and croissant runs.........:p

If you sent me on the croissant run you guys would end up pretty hungry and my car would be full of crumbs!

herrBlick
27th August 2013, 05:41 PM
Any takers from Melbourne?

Plane Fixer
28th August 2013, 08:30 AM
Hope you have submitted your paperwork for a visa to come north of the border :wasntme::D;)
No problems Mexicans are still welcome. :angel:

disco4now
28th August 2013, 02:38 PM
Terry,
We are back from our lap around with the van, so would like to move from possible to attending.

Regards
Gerry

AnD3rew. ..........................D3 ............Day Tripper
Disco4now. ........................D4.............. Day tripper
Herr Blick. ..........................D3 .............Plus overnight

POSSIBLE:

Mattt
28th August 2013, 06:47 PM
Sorry can't make this one, have fun :)

TerryO
31st August 2013, 12:06 AM
My apologies gentleman for being rather quite on the trip over the last ten days, reason we were running a race meeting up in Queensland so have been a bit busy.

I will sort out a few more details over the next few days and put more info up by Monday. Thanks everyone for your patience.

Looks like we will have well over 20 vehicles attending which is great news.

DiscoWeb
2nd September 2013, 07:40 PM
TerryO,

Just chatting with the kids and they asked about camp fires. Any idea on if camp fires are allowed as I can not find anything much on the net!

If they are allowed then we should ask each vehicle to bring at least 1 bag of firewood for the Saturday night.

Regards,

George

Yorkie
2nd September 2013, 08:50 PM
george, last time i was up there with the lroc they had 44gal drums for fires dotted around so you should be ok. :)

TerryO
2nd September 2013, 09:38 PM
Yes George there are a number of fire pits at the camp ground so it will be fine. I will order a trailer load of fire wood tomorrow.

I have just updated the thread in the Trips section so could everyone who is coming please have a read of it thanks and get back to me if needed.

rb30gtr
3rd September 2013, 09:11 AM
I thought most of them where driven by footballers or drug dealers!

I said most - not the owner/ drivers here of course!

Or footballing drug dealers.

Redback
5th September 2013, 06:47 PM
All packed ready to go in the morning:banana:

See ya around lunchtime anyone that may be there:twobeers:

Baz.

Yorkie
5th September 2013, 08:15 PM

Baz.

Have a good weekend, don't let terry break anything....... else! :D

kaz11
5th September 2013, 10:53 PM
We'll be there around 8pm with bells on, so save a spot around the fire for us :D

Karen

jonesy63
5th September 2013, 11:14 PM

Baz.

We should be there early afternoon. Almost packed - need to put tent and chairs in the roof basket. :angel:

This should be a great weekend! :cool:

TerryO
5th September 2013, 11:19 PM
We should be there around 9:00 pm tomorrow night. If anyone is running late Saturday or Sunday morning give me a call on 0419448452.

Chances are it will be easier to contact us by phone rather than by UHF.

disco4now
6th September 2013, 09:10 AM
Hi Terry,
Mobile looks to be 1 digit short?

Regards
Gerry

Graeme
6th September 2013, 12:51 PM
0419 448452

minibloodhound
6th September 2013, 02:10 PM
Sorry, but I'm going to have to cancel and miss out on this trip.:mad:
After an epic trail bike ride a fortnight ago my back had an appointment with the chiropractor today after being in agony all day yesterday.
Have fun ,stay safe and just remember that you only have to put up with a jimmy Salsa for the weekend, his wife has to put up with him all the time.:wasntme:
Scott

mruges
6th September 2013, 02:43 PM
Updated 12th Aug 6:40 pm ....22 confirmed participants.

When: Trip Date weekend of 7th - 8th September
Where: a number of Tracks Around The Lithgow Area
What Vehicles: D3/4/RRS Only.

Below so far to date are the names received in the poll and posts is as follows;

If I have put you in the wrong list or missed you out please cut and paste this list and add your name in where it needs to be. If your name isn't on this list and you would like to come along either add your name or pm me.

ATTENDING:
Phl. ..................................D4
Rich. ................................D3 .............Plus overnight
Tote.................................D3 ............Plus overnight
Minibloodhound. .................D4 .............Plus overnight
TerryO..............................D3 .............Plus overnight
Jimmy Salsa. ......................RRS ..........Plus overnight
SimmAus. ..........................D4 ............Plus overnight
Eddomark. .........................D4 ............Plus overnight
SWH. ................................D4

POSSIBLE:
Mechanic2you.

Below is the link to the thread in the Trips section.

Stink, I'll miss it!

TerryO
7th September 2013, 09:24 AM
For those who are turning up late the B group are on channel 18 and the C group are on 19.

The B group has gone in at the Railway at Zig Zag and they are doing the Pipe Line, Wombat holes etc.

The C group are going in at Ben Bullen and doing Black Fellows Hand etc.

discotwinturbo
7th September 2013, 09:38 AM
Ignore post.

Seems edit occured.

Have fun.

Brett....

Redback
8th September 2013, 02:44 PM
Great weekend with great people driving great cars, enjoyed every minute of it.

12 cars heading out from Zig Zag for the B trip Saturday
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/ (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bazzar/media/IMG_0241_zps50fc90b6.jpg.html)

21 cars this morning heading out for there trip
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/ (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bazzar/media/IMG_0255_zps628776d4.jpg.html)

Baz.

disco4now
8th September 2013, 05:32 PM
We are home in one piece as well. Two great days driving, really good to match a few more faces with their AULRO names and good to see some of the machines people have posted photos of in real life.
Thanks to the organisers and trip leaders for two great days.

Regards
Dianne and Gerry

AnD3rew
8th September 2013, 06:46 PM
great day today, good company awesome cars and lots of fun. Thanks Terry and Rob and others involved.

SimmAus
8th September 2013, 07:08 PM
great day today, good company awesome cars and lots of fun. Thanks Terry and Rob and others involved.

X2
Cheers
Mark

rocmic
8th September 2013, 09:22 PM
Great time, fantastic meeting everybody, some nice driving and great company. thanks to Terry, george, Baz and ben for their organisational and planning work. will be putting up photos and video (not may, I was driving), if they look any good in the trip report, which I am sure someone will start before I get around to it.
Cheers
Mike

phl
8th September 2013, 09:49 PM
I'll just echo all the thanks, especially to Terry for organising the trip, and George and Rob for leading the C group.

Will upload photos in the next day or so; any latte photos?

~Rich~
8th September 2013, 10:00 PM
Report actually here:
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/nsw-act-reports/181679-nsw-7th-8th-sep-d3-4-rrs-only-september-off-road-trip.html

Please add as much as you like.

eddomak
8th September 2013, 10:31 PM
Indeed, echoing thanks to you all.

In the end, going back early for fuel was good as I put in 72 litres at South Bowenfells, and it made for a much more relaxed trip home as well. Even enough time to wash the car - reminded me of that Evoque advertisement on TV recently.

Was a a bit of a pity that I was a bit rushed the day before and didn't go for a late night fuel trip, but we had a great time meeting you all.

simoncs
9th September 2013, 12:00 PM
just add my thanks too, to Terry et al. And congratulations Terry on driving up to the top of Mt Walker!!!! very impreesive to watch.
Thanks for all the tips, I learnt heaps

jon3950
9th September 2013, 07:15 PM
Would like to add my thanks also, to Terry for making happen and to everyone else who led trips and came along. It was great meeting so many of you.

Hopefully we can make a regular event. It was quite a sight seeing so many Disco's in one place - and to see just how easily they do it from outside the vehicle for a change.

Cheers,
Jon

Duck's Guts
10th September 2013, 07:34 AM
It was fantastic meeting everybody. Personally, I had a great weekend, enjoyed the 'B' group trips with terrific company, and learnt alot from you guys on the more technical sections. I'd never have even attempted alot of what we did if it wasn't for this experience.

Thanks to Terry, Baz, George, and Ben for their trip planning & camping preparations.
Thanks to Jamie & Karen for their video & photography work, I look forward to reliving the 4WDing through their eyes.

I look forward to the next opportunity the get out and 'play' with the great people from this forum :twobeers:

Redback
10th September 2013, 07:55 AM
Can everyone please post your thanks and photo's in the trip report.
HERE
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/nsw-act-reports/181679-nsw-7th-8th-sep-d3-4-rrs-only-september-off-road-trip.html

Baz.