PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen #2

Canaussie
26th July 2013, 02:10 PM
Well got another windscreen replaced today. Wow these are expensive. After a fight with Youi about getting a genuine windscreen vs aftermarket, thanks Youi for agreeing with me this time! Upon inspection looks like they have ordered and installed a heated windscreen. The vin number said this was the replacement and all the plugs were there to hook it up. Weird, ill guess ill get used to the squiggley lines.

101RRS
26th July 2013, 02:13 PM
Not totally sure but I always thought front heated windscreens with the filaments embedded in them were not legal in Australia.

Geedublya
26th July 2013, 02:18 PM
My D4 has a heated windscreen as original, it is very effective. You do get used to the lines.

Canaussie
26th July 2013, 04:11 PM
Not totally sure but I always thought front heated windscreens with the filaments embedded in them were not legal in Australia.

Not sure about legality, but it's a genuine replacement

sniegy
27th July 2013, 10:13 PM
Should have a switch on the Hevac Unit to turn on/off.

Should also have heated seats, washers & s/wheel as part of the cold climate package for Aus.

OR

They just stuffed up.......surprised?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

bell1975
27th July 2013, 11:13 PM
Well got another windscreen replaced today. Wow these are expensive. After a fight with Youi about getting a genuine windscreen vs aftermarket, thanks Youi for agreeing with me this time! Upon inspection looks like they have ordered and installed a heated windscreen. The vin number said this was the replacement and all the plugs were there to hook it up. Weird, ill guess ill get used to the squiggley lines.

A fight with an insurance company?

No. Never happened.

I can't wait for my first windscreen claim with youi as I changed to them recently...I can only hope they play nicely.

Out of curiosity: did they allow you to choose who performed the work?

Canaussie
28th July 2013, 07:34 PM
Just my local obrians as that's all that's really here in a small town. They did a great job! Still not 100% happy with the wrong windscreen.

Canaussie
28th July 2013, 07:35 PM
My D4 has a heated windscreen as original, it is very effective. You do get used to the lines.

Not really needed in central Qld lol

Celtoid
5th August 2013, 03:30 PM
Not really needed in central Qld lol

Heated windshields can help in a bird-strike incident....:wasntme:

sheerluck
5th August 2013, 04:00 PM
Heated windshields can help in a bird-strike incident....:wasntme:

Yep, it'll warm the bird's bum up just as it hits the screen. Birds really don't like hitting a cold windscreen. :D

Celtoid
5th August 2013, 05:49 PM
But on a serious note....

I got sprayed with small stones a few weeks ago at highway speed......no cracks but there is at least one small chip...can feel it with my finger nail.

I noticed similar damage on my wife's windscreen when we were washing the cars on the weekend.

Are these an issue that can lead to cracks and then a windscreen replacement? If so can they be repaired filled, etc?

I know some windscreen places can do minor crack repairs (dependant on location - as in where it is in line of the drivers eyes) but this is just a little, round chip.....Repco, etc?

Cheers,

Kev.