PDA

View Full Version : Plug/Socket in Antenna Cable

B.S.F.
29th July 2013, 09:36 AM
I'm in the process of connecting a hand held UHF to an external antenna. Does a plug and socket in the antenna cable reduce the efficiency of the antenna? I only use the "roof rack" and antenna on long trips but would like to leave the cable in place.I don't know anything about UHF radios,I've never owned one before.Can anybody see any problems with this set up? The UHF is a GME TX6100 5W,the antenna is GME AE4005 2.1dBi dipole (ground independent). .W.

michaelp
29th July 2013, 10:37 AM
Yes a in line connector does reduce the efficiency,
But most hand helds cannot handle an extra antenna because the power output transistors will not last, an in car unit would be more suitable or just use the hand held as is.

Brad110
29th July 2013, 12:41 PM
It does but the antenna will extend range and more importantly clarity. I have used this set up exclusively for 15 years as primary Comms without problem but unaware of prev as my knowledge doesn't extend that far.

New freq radio and antenna from good brands are avail for $200 now gone Steve spend up big. I got a Uniden UH089 and aerial for $220 from Autopro.

gavinwibrow
29th July 2013, 11:37 PM
I have a permanent antenna set up on my bullbar available for my icom 41S handheld - with a special adapter to connect and replace the normal antenna, despite expert advice not to do it in part for reasons just posted below. I also have a permanent charger set up just right of my steering wheel for the handheld to sit in, and which I can easily reach (albeit illegally?). The handheld alone is normally fine for short contact convoys etc, but the antenna is better connected for highway travel, especially for ch 40 truckies etc.