PDA

View Full Version : Saved from the Scrappies

Lionelgee
3rd August 2013, 07:45 PM
Hello All,

This morning was operation save from the scrappies for another Series 3 FFR. Very civilian-ised cab and it not long ago had a Holden motor fitted. Paul (Pop058) and I did a rescue mission and everything went like clockwork. Thank you Paul for your help!

I got it from the scrap yard without a motor. However, it did come with a complete set of tool holders and a Fairey Overdrive. It was without back wheels and it had been shifted around by a forklift numerous times to the detriment of tail shafts and body panels. Oh and some bright spark had wrapped a chain around the tie-rod as a tow point at some stage.:mad:. Pigeon toed wheels are a result of this great piece of brain power on someone's behalf.

So from the plate on the seat box - ARN 29-801 is now sitting in my paddock between two other FFR's - I plan to make one good one out of the three. So while this one has escaped the ignominious pancake treatment it might not escape having the good bits scavenged by me so the flagship of the FFR fleet - yet to be decided can benefit. Oh and some parts will be going on to Rebus and Baldrick my two civilian tray back utes. ARN 29-801 will be providing me with my first set of burst-proof locks. My first overdrive.

Is anyone familiar with in service rear cross member replacements? There was something strange about the rear cross member which Paul and I could not work out in our short time available today before I had to go to work. I had another look at it tonight and there are plates welded to the chassis on both left and right outside chassis rails. I will take some photographs tomorrow and post them up. The plate seems too thick and too well cut to be a bodgey backyard job. Instead of jerry can holders on the rear cross member there are the D-Shaped handles/steps. Which I was missing one of on Baldrick!

Parts wise there is also a complete dual circuit braking system. The style side soft top had been replaced by a ute back and a roof. Then an aluminium tray back fitted. Also two genuine Sunraysia wheels.

So there you go for now.

Kind Regards
Lionel

Landy Smurf
3rd August 2013, 07:49 PM
good work guys :)

Homestar
3rd August 2013, 08:32 PM
Nice. You can never have enough spares.:).

pop058
3rd August 2013, 08:44 PM
strapped down, ready to go :)

Lionelgee
4th August 2013, 07:37 PM
Hello All,

I was able to take some photographs of the plates on the outside of either chassis rail just after the spring hangers.

The fitting of the civilian "D" shaped step/handle and the lack of jerry can holders was a bit off putting. The PTO hole in the rear cross member is 105 mm in diameter. I measured one of my civilian utes and it had the same diameter opening. I checked this size against the opening of an unmolested FFR and it had the same diameter.

I remember reading somewhere that the military cross members had smaller diameter PTO holes compared to the civilian ones. Is this correct?

Kind Regards
Lionel

JDNSW
4th August 2013, 07:54 PM
Hello All,

I remember reading somewhere that the military cross members had smaller diameter PTO holes compared to the civilian ones. Is this correct?

Kind Regards
Lionel

I think that applies to Series 2a, not Series 3.

John

Lionelgee
4th August 2013, 08:16 PM
I think that applies top Series 2a, not Series 3.

John

Hello John,

Oh Ok that sort of makes sense since the comparison FFR is stock standard military specs.

Kind Regards
Lionel

LandroverScott
4th August 2013, 09:58 PM
Hi Lionel,

looks like the helicopter lifts are not there, but are the flat plates that they are welded to there? can't tel from the photo, the hole in a S3 is the same as the civi one, the 2A's where definitely smaller. The pintle hook strengthening plate is bolted onto the cross member and covers the hole in a S3 - but I can't see the holes where it bolts on - is it a civi replacement.

The diamond plates look familiar but I can't remember where from - will ponder on it for a while

regards
Scott

Lionelgee
7th August 2013, 05:38 PM
Hi Lionel,

looks like the helicopter lifts are not there, but are the flat plates that they are welded to there? can't tel from the photo, the hole in a S3 is the same as the civi one, the 2A's where definitely smaller. The pintle hook strengthening plate is bolted onto the cross member and covers the hole in a S3 - but I can't see the holes where it bolts on - is it a civi replacement.

The diamond plates look familiar but I can't remember where from - will ponder on it for a while

regards
Scott

Hello Scott,

I did look to see if there is any evidence of the helicopter lifting points being cut off, ground down and painted over. I am not sure whether I can find them or I am just wanting to find them. There is also some rust in the front end of the chassis rail which did not stand up to being jabbed with my finger. It just might be one bad spot in an otherwise sound chassis. Only lifting the cab and tray off will give me a good picture. ATM I don't have the time for that now so the vehicle can just go into slumber with its other FFR mates.

I have to get one of the civilian utes on the road first - finish my degree and return to having a life again. Despite this the days seem to flying and transforming themselves into months being peeled off the calendar, at an all too rapid pace towards the deadline for completion. :eek: :censored::eek:

Kind Regards
Lionel