PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild cost

custommade
7th August 2013, 06:56 PM
Hi guys,
So removed the 186 from my SWB today and tore it down.
It was not in the best of shape from my quick look main bearings and big end bearings were very worn and some had deep gouges and these were on the crank too.
Didn't put my micrometers on anything but pistons and bores looked fairly worn too.
So a full bottom end rebuild then. Took it to my local engine builder told him that Id like him to do the machine work, and he may as well supply the pistons and bearings, as he's going to have to grind the crank and bore so just easier if he gets what is needed to fit. And I would put it all together.

He gave me a quote off the top of his head of about $2000 do you think that this is a reasonable price for machine work, pistons+rings, bearings and gaskets?

I don't know what machine work costs never had much done before.

Machine work:

Hot tank
Crack test
Bore
Hone
Welsh plugs
Cam bearings installed
Fit pistons to rods
Probably deck the block too?

What do you think??? to much, cheap, about right?

Cheers

Luke

Chris72
7th August 2013, 08:01 PM
Is he doing anything to the head ? e.g. machine the head surface, valve grind or replacing the valve seals and seats so it can run on unleaded without adding any additives.

Homestar
7th August 2013, 08:13 PM
I've spent a lot more than that on a Holden 6 bottom end... But when it was finished and in my Brothers VK Commodore, it would smoke a 351 powered Falcon and blitz a 308 powered dunny door...:D

Ahhh, happy days....

Sorry to get side tracked. That could be about right these days - I haven't done one for eons...

custommade
7th August 2013, 08:24 PM
Is he doing anything to the head ? e.g. machine the head surface, valve grind or replacing the valve seals and seats so it can run on unleaded without adding any additives.

That's no head work at all just block work.

Vern
7th August 2013, 08:39 PM
Look around for a change over reco motor

custommade
8th August 2013, 09:16 AM
Look around for a change over reco motor

Yeah did have a bit of a look around, the old 186 is a bit hard to find and I'm still looking at around $2500 or more for something that I don't really know whats gone into it.

Chris72
8th August 2013, 05:21 PM
I personally think that is a lot for what your getting done, I wouldn't bother getting it rebored as the walls are pretty thin on the 186 once it's bored out to a 192, If your pistons and bores are in spec I'd deglaze the bores and chuck a set of rings in it, you may need to get the crank reground and put oversize bearings on that, I've only ever had my cam bearings replaced once but that was on a very special motor, new cam might be a good investment as would having hardern seats put in the head getting it shaved, not trying to put you off but engine rebuilding is an expensive task unless you can do 99% of the work yourself, the old holden engines are a really simple motor to work on, there's so much info on the net and you would get plenty of help on here aswell.

cheers chris

JOHN T
8th August 2013, 08:06 PM
I was in the same boat as you.

My 202 was buggered. I got bores machined, crank ground, new pistons and bearings etc, all gaskets supplied, new cam shaft and the cylinder head machined and valve inserts to suit gas and unleaded.

Basically complete rebuild but I re assembled the engine. The total cost was $2,400. The head work was about $650 of that. This is about 3 years ago now.

I shopped around a lot and this seemed pretty reasonable.

mick88
13th August 2013, 07:37 PM
Boring it to 192 ci takes it three sizes over standard. Basically next time it needs a rebore it goes to the scrap heap. If it is still standard bore just go twenty thou oversize or forty if need be! The 186 is a good donk and will serve you well when it's in good nick!

Cheers, Mick.