PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RRS

d3syd
12th August 2013, 10:11 PM
Did anyone see the latest episode of Top Gear? Richard Hammond puts the new RRS through it's paces. Mighty impressive vehicle. The breadth of capability is astounding!

I now know what I'll be trading in my D4 for in a few years :)

jonesy63
12th August 2013, 11:15 PM
A five seater Discovery with ugly body? :wasntme::angel: :D

~Rich~
13th August 2013, 06:13 AM
Yep saw it, impressive but didn't stop Hammond damaging a lower door trim!

It beat a JCW GT Mini Cooper around Donnington raceway.

the_preacher1973
13th August 2013, 09:17 AM
A five seater Discovery with ugly body? :wasntme::angel: :D

That's the current one. New one is a proper Range Rover.

Homestar
13th August 2013, 09:33 AM
That's the current one. New one is a proper Range Rover.

The new Range Rover isn't even a proper Range Rover.... (In looks anyway)...:D

SBD4
13th August 2013, 09:50 AM
here's something to watch...

Top Gear Season 20 Episode 6 (20x06) by vlss222 - Car Videos on StreetFire

Epic_Dragon
13th August 2013, 10:10 AM
wow i am impressed! off road beast that answers the need to hoon too! haha!

Rohan
13th August 2013, 05:03 PM
Did anyone see the latest episode of Top Gear? Richard Hammond puts the new RRS through it's paces. Mighty impressive vehicle. The breadth of capability is astounding!

I now know what I'll be trading in my D4 for in a few years :)

Yeah I saw it along with SWMBO who hasn't stopped taking about the sonar and automatic TR system! :eek:
Dammit, I was thinking a D5 (?) next car, or maybe the new defender. No chance of that now she's seen that!;)
Ah well, 1st world problems.............

d3syd
13th August 2013, 06:24 PM
I love everything about he car, but there are just two things about the new RRS that I don't give my thumbs up to: Firstly, the rear end somehow doesn't look quite right to me (but it is slowly growing on me), and secondly, more concerningly, you only get a space saver spare wheel if you go for the 7 seat option :(.

The former won't be a deal breaker for me, but the latter is a bit of a problem. I really would like to have the 2 extra seats for occasional use, but I just can't live with the space saver spare :mad:

Lotz-A-Landies
13th August 2013, 06:53 PM
That's the current one. New one is a proper Range Rover.What makes it a proper Range Rover, the fact that it has a shorter version of the current Range Rover alloy chassis, the same chassis the D5 or D4 upgrade will undoubtedly have or the fact that only one of it's engines isn't available in the D4?

gghaggis
13th August 2013, 07:08 PM
What makes it a proper Range Rover, the fact that it has a shorter version of the current Range Rover alloy chassis, the same chassis the D5 or D4 upgrade will undoubtedly have or the fact that only one of it's engines isn't available in the D4?

Don't know about that - I measured the wheelbase of a 2014 RRS and 2013 Range Rover side-by-side and they were identical. Only difference is that the FFRR had greater overhangs.

Don't think the engine choices are that similar either - at least 2 engines - the SDV8 and the S/C 5.0 ltr - won't be in the D4 2014 upgrade. The D4 2014 is more of a facelift - same chassis as the current D4.

Nothing but speculation on the "D5" at this stage.

Cheers,

Gordon

Lotz-A-Landies
13th August 2013, 07:21 PM
Fairy Nuff! :)

Although, things being as they are it makes economic sense to reduce the engineering platforms. Unless the D5 comes out with the same engineering platform as the L660.

They do have to do something about the weight of the D4, three of your mates the esky and a picknic lunch and you're overloaded.

Diana

Homestar
13th August 2013, 07:57 PM
All I know now is that SWMBO has just watched Top Gear from last night and now she wants one...:D

Maybe in 8 or 10 years...

scarry
13th August 2013, 08:44 PM
Fairy Nuff! :)

They do have to do something about the weight of the D4, three of your mates the esky and a picknic lunch and you're overloaded.

Diana

But there are heaps of other brand vehicles in the same/similar class that you can only take one mate ,a small esky and a weight watchers picnic lunch and still be over GVM.:p

sniegy
13th August 2013, 08:51 PM
The video does the vehicle a little justice, I have had the pleasure of a small drive in the V6 S/C version. It has a nice rasp & the fit out is damn impressive.

I would without a doubt have one-no questions asked. I just need the money :-(

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

scarry
13th August 2013, 09:01 PM
And it looks like there are two different spec 3.0l diesels as well,just to confuse everyone;)

Different spec to the low output one in the D4.

phl
13th August 2013, 09:56 PM
And it looks like there are two different spec 3.0l diesels as well,just to confuse everyone;)

Different spec to the low output one in the D4.

They do the same with the Jaguar diesel as well; the 215kW is exactly the same output as the higher specced Jaguar.

sniegy
14th August 2013, 09:07 AM
Maybe for the UK, but I think we are only getting the high output version.
3 engine specs.
3.0Ltr V6 S/Charged
3.0Ltr SDV6
5.0Ltr V8 S/Charged.
**Correction**
5 engines:
3.0Ltr V6 S/Charged
3.0Ltr TDV6 190Kw AWD version no T/Case.
3.0Ltr SDV6 215Kw
4.4Ltr TDV8
5.0Ltr V8 S/Charged

The things you learn :-)

Cheers ;-)

discojools
14th August 2013, 12:48 PM
As far as I understand the basic TDV6 comes with no transfer box and 19" wheels. The SDV6 comes with transfer box and 20" wheels. So if you want low ratio and the ability to do some proper offroading you have to contend with less sidewall. Seems like a contradiction to me.
However I think the new Rangie and Sport have larger diameter tyres which helps a bit.
I suppose if you buy an SDV6 you could buy yourself some 19s for offroading. Be bloody expensive though!
Apparently the Sport looks better in the flesh.

gghaggis
14th August 2013, 02:25 PM
I suppose if you buy an SDV6 you could buy yourself some 19s for offroading. Be bloody expensive though!

You'd be better off with the 20" rims, as there is a very limited selection of off-road tyres for the 19" rims, and only in one rather small-diameter size.

On the new RRS, you could easily fit 275/55R20 AT's, and a few choices in 285/50R20 as well.

But yes, still very expensive!

Cheers,

Gordon

Lotz-A-Landies
14th August 2013, 03:29 PM
All I know now is that SWMBO has just watched Top Gear from last night and now she wants one...:D

Maybe in 8 or 10 years...Yes it does sound nice, but for now I'm still wrapped in my D4 SDV6 and I don't have three mates, so I can take a big esky and a banquet!

discojools
14th August 2013, 10:16 PM
Gordon, Maybe the Compomotive 18s will fit? Time will tell.

gghaggis
15th August 2013, 08:35 AM
Gordon, Maybe the Compomotive 18s will fit? Time will tell.

Not sure - the brake package that was on the show car (an SDV6) was identical to the FFRR SDV6, and the 18" rims won't fit that. Mind you the show car was built to the Italian market specs, so may be different for the Australian market. And maybe different on the TDV6.

Topix shows the existence of two different brake systems (one looking like the brake package on the current SDV6 vehicles), but I don't know which market it will be sold into.

Cheers,

Gordon

Celtoid
15th August 2013, 09:16 AM
Not sure - the brake package that was on the show car (an SDV6) was identical to the FFRR SDV6, and the 18" rims won't fit that. Mind you the show car was built to the Italian market specs, so may be different for the Australian market. And maybe different on the TDV6.

Topix shows the existence of two different brake systems (one looking like the brake package on the current SDV6 vehicles), but I don't know which market it will be sold into.

Cheers,

Gordon

Don't want to pull this off-thread but in all the convo's I've seen on this forum RE: the 19" wheel 'Issue' has anybody asked the question "why can't LR fit smaller (as capable) brakes?" Especially when they are at the re-design stage, as they were with the D3-4 transition and obviously have been with the RRS!

There are a lot of big 4WD type cars out there running smaller wheels aren't there, so they must be able to pass the compliance rules in Australia, etc?

Confused. :confused: