PDA

View Full Version : End of the civvies G-Wagen Pro hopes

goingbush
29th August 2013, 02:50 PM
So for those (me) hoping the civillian G-Pro W461 would make it to our shores.
the answer is now a definitive no

Ende für das nächste G-Modell: der “Professional” von Mercedes-Benz läuft Ende 2013 aus | Mercedes-Benz Passion Blog (http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.com/2013/07/ende-fur-das-nachste-g-modell-der-professional-lauft-ende-2013-aus/)

production discontinuing Oct 2013 due to unable to meet emission standards

where does that leave the Army fleet ??

Well with the demise of the current Defender & now the G-Pro , and soon the 70 series cruiser there seems to be a great opening for the industrial / agricultrual 4x4 market (if such a market still exists)

perhaps an opening for the Russians ??

ramblingboy42
29th August 2013, 07:29 PM
when is the demise of the Defender? there is no official comment on this from Land Rover. where did you get the info?

NT5224
29th August 2013, 09:00 PM
Yup, think I read that production of the 70 series Tojo is scheduled to wind up about 2017.

Lets only hope that the current Defender continues in production somewhere else (perhaps Sri Lanka?). The wife was recently in Brazil and reported seeing lots of locally assembled Defenders over there

Alan

Lotz-A-Landies
29th August 2013, 09:27 PM
We are unlikely to see another utilitarian Defender type vehicle. They have to build them for a World market and given that the septics mostly refuse to wear seatbelts it means vehicles have to have airbags, crush zones and clean efficient engines.

Look for monococ bodies +/- subframes al la Discovery 3/4

Reads90
30th August 2013, 04:21 AM
when is the demise of the Defender? there is no official comment on this from Land Rover. where did you get the info?

Defenders in Europe are more popular than they have ever been.

Really fashion statement now.

Went back to the uk in june and alot of mates who used to tale the **** out of me for my landies now have 110's and have bought them after swapping them for Merc's, BMW and one mate a Ferrari, and another that sold his Rangie and bought a 110. They all want them now and then see who can throw the most toys on them.

As said Really fashion statement at the moment. Just look in any pom Landy mag and you will see the defenders that have been played with and I am talking about the lowered big wheels and fancy insides.

MBZ460
30th August 2013, 06:22 AM
Its a shame but there is such a tiny market and MB (especially in Oz and USA) could not be bothered developing the market, which competes with the mega $$$ luxury models.

Its more likely the Defender will survive in some form or other since it is much more popular, has a huge fan base and I think a significant niche market opportunity. A G Pro could have had the same but MB were not interested.

They will keep producing the military ones as long as they secure such lucrative contracts and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Not much competition in that space.

There is a tiny hope they will keep a civvie G Pro or start them up again later. Its the same production line and they have compliant engines and safety gear to draw on.

My 1988 will keep on plugging.