PDA

View Full Version : First Extract Brew - American Pale

Andy_Chil
31st August 2013, 11:48 AM
Hi All Land Rover Brewers,

I did my first ever Extract brew last weekend so I thought I might share some photos and a recipe for American Pale Ale. I was hoping for a Little Creatures Pale Ale style of very hoppy beer.

The recipe is for 20 litres:
2kg Dried Light Malt Extract
500g Dextrose
500g Crystal Malt (Joe White)
80g Cascade Hops
(30g - 60min boil, 25g -10min boil, 25g -dry hop)
5g Yeast Nutrient
SAFALE US-05

Get large pot (at least 10 litres capacity) and put 5-10 liters of 65C into the pot with the bag of steeping grains. Leave grains in hot water for 1 - 2hrs.

Remove the grain bag and discard spent grains. I gave them to the chooks, who went slightly crazy.

Bring the pot to the boil then add malt extract and dextrose. Stir till dissolved and bring back to boil.
Add 30g of hops into the now empty grain bag and boil for about 50 minutes, then add another 25g hops and the yeast nutrient and boil for a further 5 -10 minutes.

Turn off the heat, remove and discard hops. Cover the pot and let it cool. Immerse the hot pot to ice water bath for more rapid cooling.

Once the wort is at 30C, pour it in the fermenter and fill with cold water to 20 litres. Add yeast and ferment as usual.

Andy_Chil
31st August 2013, 11:51 AM
Add the additional Dry hop pellets on about day 3 of the ferment for the last little kick of fresh hoppy goodness.

Will be kegging on Monday. Will give progress report!

Andy

Andy_Chil
31st August 2013, 12:04 PM
One more photo.