PDA

View Full Version : Coriander Seeds

Celtoid
16th September 2013, 08:34 PM
Hi All,

I want to make a Hoegaarden and have most of the ingredients. I made a batch many years ago from a kit, but that had everything supplied. This time round I'm short the Coriander seeds.

My question is, where do you get these? Before anybody says ..... Bunnings, Gardening Shops, Nurseries, etc....I have considered that :D. However, I'm concerned that they may have been treated with a fertilizer or something like that.

Any ideas?

Worse case I can wait a while as I'm growing Coriander...but....

Cheers,

Kev :beer:

d@rk51d3
16th September 2013, 09:21 PM
How about from the spice section at your local supermarket?

Celtoid
16th September 2013, 10:35 PM
How about from the spice section at your local supermarket?

Oh, never thought of that.

I'm not sure what you'd use them for in a recipe....but what the hell would I know...LOL!!!???

Cheers, I'll have a look.

Kev.

isuzurover
16th September 2013, 10:38 PM
Oh, never thought of that.

I'm not sure what you'd use them for in a recipe....but what the hell would I know...LOL!!!???

Cheers, I'll have a look.

Kev.

:D I think you need to expand your culinary horizons.

We cook with them all the time. We even have a 50/50 mix of black peppercorns and coriander seeds in the pepper grinder.

Cheapest source is usually asian grocers.

Celtoid
17th September 2013, 07:08 AM
:D I think you need to expand your culinary horizons.

We cook with them all the time. We even have a 50/50 mix of black peppercorns and coriander seeds in the pepper grinder.

Cheapest source is usually asian grocers.

I eat all sorts from everywhere....I just don't cook it, so have no idea what's in it....LOL!!!

So in a Hoegaarden you use the seeds for the citrus flavour....so I'm assuming you get the same with the grinder. Very interesting.

Cheers,

Kev.

isuzurover
17th September 2013, 09:39 AM
I eat all sorts from everywhere....I just don't cook it, so have no idea what's in it....LOL!!!

So in a Hoegaarden you use the seeds for the citrus flavour....so I'm assuming you get the same with the grinder. Very interesting.

Cheers,

Kev.

I thought the orange peel was for the citrus flavour? Coriander seed flavour is different again.

snowbound
17th September 2013, 09:42 AM
woolies or coles. Happy grinding :)

Celtoid
17th September 2013, 10:01 AM
I thought the orange peel was for the citrus flavour? Coriander seed flavour is different again.

Yeah you use orange zest and Coriander seed together....crushed Coriander seed.

The one and only time I've done this I was scratching my head over the combination until I crushed the seeds...very strong citrus smell.

So there is a question, maybe it has to be fresh to get this quality....mmmm.

isuzurover
17th September 2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah you use orange zest and Coriander seed together....crushed Coriander seed.

The one and only time I've done this I was scratching my head over the combination until I crushed the seeds...very strong citrus smell.

So there is a question, maybe it has to be fresh to get this quality....mmmm.

Not really any such thing as fresh coriander seeds, they dry on the plant very quickly.

I suppose I don't find the smell/taste particularly citrusy... When I drink Hoegaarden I find distinct citrus and coriander flavours.

Celtoid
17th September 2013, 10:08 PM
Not really any such thing as fresh coriander seeds, they dry on the plant very quickly.

I suppose I don't find the smell/taste particularly citrusy... When I drink Hoegaarden I find distinct citrus and coriander flavours.

MMM.....now this has got me intrigued....

As I said, only ever brewed one before and distinctly remember the citrus smell of the crushed seeds. Christ, I've been espousing that memory for years and it may have been the accelerant fertilizer the seeds were coated with....LOL!!!

Can't wait to give it another go....:D

I'll probably free up a keg in the next few weeks, so I'll put it together then and update.

Cheers,

Kev.

Ovadahill
23rd September 2013, 06:49 PM
Probably the wrong spot for a first post but been browsing and this is one topic I have a big interest in. I have brewed on and off for years and like trying different things. Was put on to hoegarrden years ago and loved it so tried to replicate it in home brew with what I and a few mates thought was quite successful. What I did with the corriander seeds though was to make like a tea with the seeds just a couple of teaspoons full then pour the whole lot into the fermenter and it gave it that real corriander kick:D