PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt + Oil pump 2007 RRS

Fatso
20th September 2013, 07:24 AM
Hi , My 2007 RRS TD6 is coming up for a Timing belt change January 2014 ( 7 yrs) , due to the numbers of apparent failure of the Tensioner mount on the oil pump, people in the UK are changing the oil pump with a beefier one when doing the belt change , the pump appears to break off where the Tensioner is bolted too some time after the belt change resulting in a bent engine etc :eek:

Is this problem starting to show up in Aus or is it just in the UK , what are people diong here in Aus in lite of the info on the UK sites . Thanks for any Info Feedback Al .

Ean Austral
20th September 2013, 07:41 AM
I have been reading the same things on the UK site, and think it has happened to someone who posted on this site a while back.

I was told the belt change was 160,000kms so I have a bit to go BUT it comes down to the simple equasion which is

Peace of mind Vs $$$$

You have the engine apart, so for the cost of the housing and the extra couple of hours labour, would that cost make you sleep easier at night...

Me I will do the housing as well when mines due.

My 2c worth

Cheers Ean

PhilipA
20th September 2013, 07:53 AM
Davis Performance Landies will not do a timing belt change without also doing the oil pump.
I understand that they did one and the pump sheared which cost them a LOT.
Regards Philip A

justinc
20th September 2013, 07:38 PM
Davis Performance Landies will not do a timing belt change without also doing the oil pump.
I understand that they did one and the pump sheared which cost them a LOT.
Regards Philip A

I am also thinking of doing the same. oil pump housing with timing belt change, it is not possible to test/ inspect the housing.

jc

Fatso
21st September 2013, 03:14 AM
I am also thinking of doing the same. oil pump housing with timing belt change, it is not possible to test/ inspect the housing.

jc

Thanks Justinc , I was hoping that you would show up here , seems to be the safest way to proceed for peace of mind , as i gues there is no difinitive answer to this but to fit the new design pump for 2007 /8 TD6 disco,s and RRS . Al

justinc
21st September 2013, 07:51 AM
Will be quoting one up in the next week or so , I will let you know what it comes to.

JC

IvanR
21st September 2013, 03:58 PM
Have recently replaced my timing belts and yes we did replace the oil pump casing as well. In fact my parts supplier would not sell me the timing belt kit without the oil pump casing. I think the cost was less than $300 for the part so its a no contest given that a NEW ENGINE is around $10,000.

Ivan

Graeme
21st September 2013, 05:49 PM
I'll be doing something about the 3.0's crankshaft seal in the oil pump housing when my 3.0's timing belt needs replacing. I hope not to replace the housing but will do so if that's the only way to guarantee that the seal doesn't move.

Rich84
24th September 2013, 08:13 AM
I've done this job myself, you just need the locking tools for the flywheel and cams, and it would help to have a breaker that is at least 4'. Don't even bother with a rattle gun unless you have one that'll do 800nm+ and a massive compressor.

Removing the starter is a little tricky but nothing too difficult. You absolutely must lock the flywheel/flex plate before attempting this as the crank pulley is FLOATING and IS NOT KEYED TO THE CRANKSHAFT. Very important too to only do the tensioner bolt up to 24nm as the thing is prone to shearing.

The pump + a new front bolt + a new front main seal was about $95 all up. I bought the pump from LR Series in UK, part no. LR013487.

Any questions just PM me.

jplambs
5th October 2013, 08:02 AM
The disco (05) that we've just purchased from a fellow forum member had this occur just after the belt was replaced. Landrover replaced the engine for him free of charge as it was a known fault. Needless to say we are pretty happy to have a 05 disco with a 3000km old engine in it.