PDA

View Full Version : Disco 1 audio upgrade questions

Luke56000
30th September 2013, 01:12 AM
Hey guys looking to get a new stereo system in my 1998 disco 1 to make those long trips a little less painfull, not looking to go to extreme

Looking at changing the head unit to one that has ipod/usb connection preferably without the cd player. Bluetooth could also be an option d consider as long as its not too much more expensive. Would also like it if possible to have the locking feature
If disconnected from the battery like the standard unit does but will look at options without this feature as well.

For the speaker system just looking at changing the two front door speakers to a higher quality system and possibly the ones in the boot, just want to get a clearer sound from the speakers as my current ones 'crackle' once the sound gets past a certain pount. How much work is involved in changing these over? Would it better for me to just have them installed professionally as i currently have no experience in this sort of thing.

Petetheprinta
30th September 2013, 08:23 AM
I put a JVC head unit in my Disco 1, has USB x 2, bluetooth, iPod connectivity. Easy to fit, many more features than I need. Far better sound than original so I had no need to change speakers. However changing speakers is also easy, just replace with same size.

loanrangie
9th October 2013, 11:57 AM
I seem to mention this a lot but looms are available to fit pretty much any brand head unit to the disco loom so replacement is just plug and play.

Luke56000
17th October 2013, 02:13 AM
I put a JVC head unit in my Disco 1, has USB x 2, bluetooth, iPod connectivity. Easy to fit, many more features than I need. Far better sound than original so I had no need to change speakers. However changing speakers is also easy, just replace with same size.

Did you find the head unit change got rid of the annoying "crackle" sound that can happen at higher volume levels?
I've had a quick shop around and looking at settling on this JVC unit here
JVC Mechless Bluetooth/iPod/MP3 Player - Supercheap Auto Australia (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/JVC-Mechless-Bluetooth-iPod-MP3-Player.aspx?pid=341950&menuFrom=100101#Cross)

Petetheprinta
17th October 2013, 08:07 AM
Did you find the head unit change got rid of the annoying "crackle" sound that can happen at higher volume levels?
I've had a quick shop around and looking at settling on this JVC unit here
JVC Mechless Bluetooth/iPod/MP3 Player - Supercheap Auto Australia (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/JVC-Mechless-Bluetooth-iPod-MP3-Player.aspx?pid=341950&menuFrom=100101#Cross)

I don't have a problem with "crackle" so can't answer that. That is very similar to my unit but I think mine is next version up as it has 2x USB and DVD player. It works very well for the price. Perhaps you have an interference problem from motor, mine is a diesel not petrol. Suppressors maybe if you have V8?

KCJones
19th October 2013, 07:48 PM
That crackle is from the speaker cones being made of cardboard. Seriously.

I put a clarion head unit in and some Polk 4 inch speakers in the front. They have a fantastic sound and range for such small speakers. A decent head unit and some decent front speakers will do you. Amp and 6x9s seems unnecessary to me. Mine cranks up the volume fine!

DiscoMack
6th November 2015, 08:41 PM
I seem to mention this a lot but looms are available to fit pretty much any brand head unit to the disco loom so replacement is just plug and play.
Hi LoanRangie,

Just wondering if you could tell me where I'd look for a connector loom or something?

I'm also upgrading my stereo and that sounds like it would be much easier than trying to figure out and re-connect each individual wire..

loanrangie
6th November 2015, 08:47 PM
Supercheap have the range of aerpro looms , just search for aerpro on their website.

DiscoMack
6th November 2015, 11:05 PM
Awesome thanks, thats going to make it much easier..