PDA

View Full Version : what fits what series-1-2-3

marc
7th October 2013, 07:11 PM
g'day all,just got new tie rod ends for my 55-107 only to find driver side tie rod internal thread was no good. i think the clamp was holding it in place for the last 20 yrs. will try and find a new one tomorrow. i think the s2+3 are a couple of inches wider in the axle, is this also in the tie rod (mine is 3'6" long) or is the arm from the hub a different shape? has anyone in there time playing with series landy's put pen to paper on what will fit,or interchange with each model. or any other model parts that will fit series vehicles(will defender ball joints and there hubs fit series axles ? )just a thought.cop u later markus.

JDNSW
7th October 2013, 10:09 PM
I think the following is correct.

Tie rod and track rod lengths are the same throughout Series 1, but are shorter than Series 2/2a/3, which are in turn different from 90/110/Defender.

All of the above have the same threads, but note that during early? Series 3 production the clamping arrangement changed from clamping on an unthreaded section to clamping on the threaded section. This means tie rod ends are not interchangeable as the clamping of thread against smooth is unreliable - fatal accidents have resulted. Tie rod ends may have, on the tapered bit, any of BSF, UNF or metric threads, and either split pin or self locking nuts - these are interchangeable.

Note also that the drag link from the relay to the swivel arm changed several times to accommodate a steering damper differently, but they are interchangeable,except for the length as noted above.

Hope this helps,

John

Bigbjorn
7th October 2013, 11:22 PM
The thread on the rod ends and in the rods is 11/16" x 16 tpi NS left and right hand on opposing ends. I can supply all necessary taps and dies. PM me if needed.

marc
9th October 2013, 09:45 PM
thanks for the quick reply gents it certainly helps with a bit more info when ordering parts, got onto l.v.s. at silverdale may have a good 2nd hand one. no money missing out of my account yet see how we go tomorrow.a friend suggested if i have no luck to cut and shut a s3 one in the middle slide 18" of pipe on weld, then slide pipe back evenly and weld that on.think it would be OK done professionally, but i dought it would be legal or pass rego,thanks again Marcus

JDNSW
10th October 2013, 01:07 PM
......a friend suggested if i have no luck to cut and shut a s3 one in the middle slide 18" of pipe on weld, then slide pipe back evenly and weld that on.think it would be OK done professionally, but i dought it would be legal or pass rego,thanks again Marcus

Seems to me you would do better to get a S3 one and cut the end off and rethread it using one of Brian's taps.

John

marc
2nd November 2013, 08:38 AM
yes jd that would have been the way to go just for the safety factor,but got one from silverdale cleaned up well and back on the road again.