PDA

View Full Version : HF radio in TD5

Michael
4th October 2003, 03:25 PM
Has any Td5 owner with a Barrett/Codan HF radio experienced the signal blanketing noise when the engine is running? + have you had any joy in fixing the problem? My Barrett 950 was fine in my previous Tdi. A technician from LR Australia 'said' that the interference was inherent in the car!
+ Having just returned from completing Goog's Track [S-N] with many sand-dunes the 'traction control' was a real nusiance in the final few metres of the dune where soft sand made the wheel spin with consequent computer initiated application of brakes slowing the vehicle down resulting in not gaining the top. In the Tdi more accelerator pressure usually ensured getting over. I have been driving Rangies and Discos [all manuals] since 1975 and have travelled the Gunbarrel/Simpson/Canning... a number of times never with as much trouble as with traction control. Maybe there could be a 'kill' switch just for sand dunes! A compilation of problems found in remote areas Td5 trips would be useful. I used VKS737 to get information of how to unlock the rear door on Td5 on the Goog's track when it jammed. Michael

bigbugga
4th October 2003, 04:04 PM
Have heard a lot of people complaining about the trac/control.
Havnt yet heard a good answer on how to fix it.

Did the lr tech tell you why the problem was happening?
Seems that if it worked in your last TDi it should work ok in the TD5.

Let us know if you find out

Michael
4th October 2003, 09:25 PM
It is good to know that I'm not the only Td5 owner with concerns.
A Barrett technician explained yesterday that new Toyota 4WDs have a similar problem and that Toyota will not concede that it is their problem and will not assist Barrett to find a solution!!! maybe the same with Land Rover? The technician did say that the solenoid which controls the excess fuel dump at the injectors is probably the cause.
Michael

Pirate
4th November 2003, 11:46 PM
I have a codan NGT in a TD5 Defender and yes I also have engine noise break thru

I have noted that when you are engine braking (ie injectors arnt firing?) I dont get the breakthru. Looks like it is related the the injector soliniods.

One of the HF groups that I was reading stated that the TD5 was one of the worst he had seen.

I havent really tried to get rid of it yet but there are various types of filters that can help in various situations.

It is all getting worst with these new fangle vehicles.

As for the traction control I would like to be able to isolate it on command but looks like putting in diff locks is the other alternative.

I have found the traction control quite good and do a lot of sand over here in WA. I have found that you just have to lay the boot in when the TC starts up. This has got me out of most problems.

If anyone know of how to isolate the TC without upsetting the apple cart I would like to Know...

Regards

Michael
5th November 2003, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the information. I found out that the military uses Td5's in their Defenders, which some have H.F. radios installed. They eliminate the interference from the solenoids by encapsulating the leads to the injectors with metal sheaths and individually caging the solenoids with an aluminium box. I am looking for some contact in the forces who is in the transport section to source these items. Without them my Td5 is useless for on the road monitoring of HF channels including Radio Australia/Voice of America/VKS737 network/ ABC stations - a real pain.
I will try out the 'solution' to the traction control quandrum on some sandunes,
Thanks again - it is good to be able to share a problem that is common to us both [+ others out there too!]

Michael

bigbugga
5th November 2003, 05:39 PM
Check with TSR(the aussie one)

He is ex army and might be able to help you find a contact for what you need.

Michael
5th November 2003, 10:08 PM
A possible source of information Thanks but - What is TSR?
Michael

bigbugga
5th November 2003, 10:27 PM
TSR is a member of this site.

TSR is his nickname

Michael
5th November 2003, 10:45 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate your interest and help,
Michael

bigbugga
6th November 2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Michael
Thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate your interest and help,
Michael

No worries

If we all help each other where and when we can then it makes it a lot easier.

Xtreme
10th November 2003, 03:27 PM
I recently installed a Codan NGT in a Td5 and don't seem to be having the trouble you guys are talking about.
I was advised and did run cabling as far away from the vehicle electronics as possible though. Maybe this could help.

Xtreme
10th November 2003, 03:28 PM
I recently installed a Codan NGT in a Td5 and don't seem to be having the trouble you guys are talking about.
I was advised and did run cabling as far away from the vehicle electronics as possible though. Maybe this could help.

duff
20th December 2003, 06:42 PM
Hello all,
on the traction control point I can offer what the dealer at Cairns told me,,,,,now this is only what ive been told, not what i know to be true
I have a late 01 model td5 discovery, and have no external remnants of a centre diff lock at all. Apparantly the series two's prior to my model you can get under the car, and with a spanner still spin the diff lock engagement shaft and engage the centre diff lock. They told me that by doing this the T/C will be turned off.
I believe this theory is supported by the centre diff lock engaged light still being present on the models prior to mine .

However I am located at Weipa on the Cape York and have done a good amount of loose sand driving. I recognise the frustration of the T/C in sandy conditions, however I find that when you get used to it the application of alot of power gets you thru. I still feel wrong doing it but all in all I have learned to respect the T/C and now prefer it to my earlier disco and Range rover. ( the automatic box seems to allow the T/C, gearbox, and engine all work well together to get through so many places,,,, Once you force yourself to let go of some of the old theories )

Michael
20th December 2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the information.
My Discovery is a manual and so is not the optimum Td5 engine/gearbox setup according to the experts in the 4WD magazines but I really like manuals so... The practice of gunning the last bit of a sand dune when traction control kicks in is as you know potentially very dangerous. I like to just smoothely crest the top of a dune so that if anything untoward happens - track veers sharply one way or the unexpected way or worse still an oncoming vehicle/motor bike [as happened to me in the Simpson desert] you are not going too fast. My experience is on the Canning on two trips [V8 R.R. and my previous Tdi] the 'original' Gunbarrel in 1975 plus many other sand dunes on other desert trips. I have also been to the Kimberley including the Mitchell Plateau and beyond and your neck of the woods - Cape York first in a R.R. 1989 and in my Tdi in 2000 - great country.
Thanks again,
Michael