PDA

View Full Version : Interesting clip: recovering a rolled Disco

FeatherWeightDriver
20th October 2013, 12:28 PM
Hi all,

For those who have not already seen it, an interesting clip showing the recovery of a rolled Disco by the 4wdaction crew. It looks like they did more damage rolling it back over than during the initial accident, but I'm not sure there is any other way out, at least not without a crane...

4WD Action Rollover Recovery - YouTube

Good to see everyone was ok, and I feel sorry for the young bloke. When I was younger I took my parents car home on a tray (not 4wd related) and it wasn't fun.

PS: Also looks like the airbags didn't fire.

Eevo
20th October 2013, 07:42 PM
great video.
disappointed to hear they had tyre pressure at 38!

DoubleChevron
22nd October 2013, 06:07 PM
They did really well.... Dumb question time .... why on earth didn't they get it running to get it back up the hill .... If it's a V8, if there oil in the sump and coolant in radiator..... Stick a battery in it and it'll no doubt run so you can drive it :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

Eevo
22nd October 2013, 06:20 PM
why on earth didn't they get it running to get it back up the hill .

wouldnt make good video

DoubleChevron
22nd October 2013, 06:40 PM
wouldnt make good video

They still did bloody well.... There's no way I would have got that back on it's wheels. They managed it using it's axles and chassis. I wouldn't have been able to figure out a way that didn't involve a sling around the roof pulling from up high.

seeya,
Shane L.

snowbound
22nd October 2013, 07:11 PM
I'm surprised that he was apparently able to steer the disco with ease without the motor running?

Xtreme
22nd October 2013, 07:24 PM
.............. It looks like they did more damage rolling it back over than during the initial accident, but I'm not sure there is any other way out, at least not without a crane...

There is another and IMHO a far better way of recovering a rolled vehicle from such a position with minimum extra damage being inflicted.

As the roof was already damaged, I would have repositioned it while it was on its roof - thereby significently reducing the side panel damage they caused by sliding it around on its side.
Once in an optimum position on the track, one or better still, two straps wrapped right around the vehicle and secured to the chassis plus safety strap/s each end of the vehicle to hold it once back on its wheels. Then the vehicle is ROLLED back onto its wheels by winching in on the strap/s that are wrapped right around the vehicle.

By winching directly onto the chassis, without wrapping the strap around the vehicle, you more often than not will drag the vehicle instead of rolling it back onto its wheels - depending a lot on whether winching point is above or below the chassis anchor point. They did drag it a bit until the other straps stopped it.

They say a picture's worth a thousand words so in the following you should be able to see how the strap is wrapped around the vehicle and secured to the chassis.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/10/72.jpg

Eevo
23rd October 2013, 08:29 AM
I'm surprised that he was apparently able to steer the disco with ease without the motor running?

good point!
i didnt think of that

VladTepes
23rd October 2013, 04:16 PM
What sort of fool rolls a land Rover by the wheels falling into a rut?

Oh wait.......

:lol2:

leyland
29th October 2013, 01:54 AM
it wasnt a mayday it wasnt life threating, it was a panpan

Eevo
29th October 2013, 04:40 AM
It wasn't an aircraft

clubagreenie
29th October 2013, 08:47 AM
They flew back up the hill after the "recovery".

VladTepes
29th October 2013, 10:09 AM
When I rolled mine the Nissan Club (thanks Fellas) helped us winch it back upright. We unscrewed the injectors, turned it over a few times, screwed them back in and then drove it all the way home from northern NSW to Redcliffe.

djam1
29th October 2013, 02:42 PM
Have a look at the flex on the B Pillar and the passenger side rear door:o

There is another and IMHO a far better way of recovering a rolled vehicle from such a position with minimum extra damage being inflicted.

As the roof was already damaged, I would have repositioned it while it was on its roof - thereby significently reducing the side panel damage they caused by sliding it around on its side.
Once in an optimum position on the track, one or better still, two straps wrapped right around the vehicle and secured to the chassis plus safety strap/s each end of the vehicle to hold it once back on its wheels. Then the vehicle is ROLLED back onto its wheels by winching in on the strap/s that are wrapped right around the vehicle.

By winching directly onto the chassis, without wrapping the strap around the vehicle, you more often than not will drag the vehicle instead of rolling it back onto its wheels - depending a lot on whether winching point is above or below the chassis anchor point. They did drag it a bit until the other straps stopped it.

They say a picture's worth a thousand words so in the following you should be able to see how the strap is wrapped around the vehicle and secured to the chassis.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/10/72.jpg

Xtreme
29th October 2013, 08:31 PM
Have a look at the flex on the B Pillar and the passenger side rear door:o

No flex occurring at B pillar - the distortion in the B pillar and passenger side rear door was caused during the roll over when major impact was taken on roof at A Pillar on drivers side.