PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with spot lights & LR dash switch

Goblin
5th January 2004, 05:31 AM
:?: :?
Hi all,
I'm replacing (or trying to) the IPF switch with a genuine LR one. I got a fog lamp switch ($20) and want to wire it into the dash for neatness.
Trouble is I can't work out the correct pin-outs.
I have three wires to control the lights. A +12V tapped into the high beam cct and a + and - to drive the spot lamp relay.

The LR switch has 5 pins and is not a solid click-click kind.
In attempting to copy the fog lamp I think it looks like this:
1. + trigger source (for the fog it is low/high beam, for mine the + high beam trigger wire)
2. Seems to be dash light related ?
3. not used ?
4. earth for relay
5. +12 for relay (when switch activated)

I can't for the life of me figure what I have done wrong. Can anybody help with ideas of even better some electrical diagrams for the MY03 S.A. build defender.

Cheers
Rob

landrovermick
5th January 2004, 07:40 AM
hey there rob, i had problems with driving lights / landrover switches / relays a while ago i posted here and was given some good advice, if you search my name for posts by Landrovermick you should find them, they may be of help ..

mick

Goblin
5th January 2004, 05:36 PM
Mick,
Must be going nuts,
I can't find anything...or has it been removed ?

landrovermick
6th January 2004, 03:20 PM
Sorry mate it was something i posted on another site in another life.

Heres the link i dunno how to make it live here but if you copy and paste to your address bar it will take you to the thread

http://www.lrenthusiastforum.com/ubbthread...e=&view=&sb=&o= (http://www.lrenthusiastforum.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=146793&page=&view=&sb=&o=)

And looking at it now it probably wont be much help to you - buts its still good stuff to know about relays and Landrover Headlights

Sorry

Mick

Goblin
6th January 2004, 04:46 PM
Glad to know I can cancel the white jacket with the special buckles...

I just found out the gotcha with the switch I bought. It is a "soft" type designed to operate a specific kind of relay.
The solution is to get a relay from LR or get a "click-click" switch which is available in the same face print (fog lamp).
Funny that LR did not mention the difference when I bought the switch and was explaining what I wanted it for. It's only 20 bucks but the fact that I spent plenty of time trying to get the other one working sucks.

Thanks for your help