PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Pass to Mount Kosciuszko

sam_d
30th October 2013, 09:40 AM
I have a few days off work coming up in November – not enough to go anywhere too far away and too many to spend staying in Sydney - and I've had the idea of idea of riding to the summit of Mount Kosciuszko so need some information/advice.

I getting some conflicting information from the internet (Yes, I know! Strange isn't it!) so if anyone can help me or has been up that way recently and has up to date knowledge, can you answer the following questions:

Is it actually possible to ride to the summit. Some information I get says yes, some says no because bikes are banned from the Summit Track. The NPWS website seems to be very unreliable and unhelpful at the moment and I can’t find much info from them but can call them to get route advice but the technical advice I am after mainly is:

Is it doable on a non-MTB. I have a Scott Sportster P3 with 29er rims. If I get it fitted with some decent MTB tyres will it cope? Again, some people say you can do it with a Hybrid with decent tyres, some people insist that only a decent MTB will do.

I’m not looking to set any Strava records or anything like that so don’t need my bike to be doing anything crazy like I see those Downhill racers doing – I just want an enjoyable ride and a picnic at the summit.