PDA

View Full Version : V8 Power Steering Pump leaking

LRHybrid100
6th January 2004, 07:50 PM
G'day Guys,

Well we went out playing in the dust and the rocks here in Sydney over the weekend.

One problem is my PAS pump has been slowly leaking on my 1987 RR 3.5EFI until the weekend when it decided to give up the ghost - leak seems to be from behind the pulley

Has anyone been able to purchase and install the correct seal kit for this repair?

Any advice would be appreciated, as have seen prices on the web for approx AUD900 for complete new pump.

BR LRH

Pedro_The_Swift
9th January 2004, 06:55 AM
Hi LRHybrid100,

I <span style="color:red">have </span>seen a replacement seal kit for these,, about $15,,
buggered if I can remember where though,, style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

maybe in a back edition of LRO??
have you searched the LRO website?

have been filling mine with seal fixerupper for 5 years now,
Its nearly stopped :wink:

LRHybrid100
9th January 2004, 09:30 AM
G'day Pedro,

Since the post I have installed one off my spare 3.9 motor - lucky as 1987 was a change over year of pumps.

I contacted some suppliers and there is seal kit for approx $17.50 to do the job.

What you need to do is peel off the pump cover from the pulley end using a screw driver and all the iner workings are revealed!!!

I'm going to do this in a couple of weeks time - once I have enough bench space to do the job properly!!!

BR LRH.

bazzle
9th January 2004, 01:06 PM
Please share with us where you got the seals

ta
bazzle

landrovermick
9th January 2004, 02:39 PM
Hey this would be a great article for the newsletter

mick

Phoenix
9th January 2004, 03:05 PM
sure would. Could you write it up and send it to me when you have finished LRHybrid100 ?

LRHybrid100
9th January 2004, 03:31 PM
No Worries Boys,

It will be in a couple of weeks - not urgent now, as I have the spare pump on!!!.

BR LRH.

Phoenix
9th January 2004, 03:39 PM
Thats ok, the next newsletter isn't due for 2 months yet :wink:

Pierre
12th January 2004, 03:54 PM
Little brother repaired his about 2 years back. Tut to do it properly, you have to press the pulley hub off. It let go at about 20 tonne!! The seal around the tin can is an o ring. The seal on the shaft is the one that leaks. Do the pressure side outlet, too. From memory, an o ring as well - I think it's in the kit.

Parts kit we got from Mitcham - about $15 from memory.

Good luck.

Pierre
12th January 2004, 03:59 PM
I had a further thought that National Power Steering in Dandenong (Vic) sell fully reco pumps. Boxes, too.