PDA

View Full Version : being devils advocate

jaydafordman
22nd January 2004, 03:20 PM
Hi all, not quite sure where this one belongs, but I'll start here.

I have been researching the purchase of a 97-99 series 1 disco V8i. I would like a S2, but its a little out of my budget of $20-25K unless I find a bargain style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

My reasons for buying a disco is their value for money, abilities offroad, reasonable room inside (I'm 6'3" and every bit is a good thing), and my missus likes them too style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif. Don't try and talk me into diesels, while I know the advantages I just can't like it enough and she who must be obeyed won't touch them since they are smelly and noisy :roll:

Ok, the downside, what are they for these years? I hear many stories of unreliability, leaks like sieves, drinks fuel like its out of fashion, electrical faults etc Is it as bad as all that? A mate of mine had a '93 Defender, and had more hassles than he reckoned with, is that the age and have many of these problems been cleared up. Are their reputations justified to some degree. I expect some degree of bias here, but all opinions are usefull.

I suppose what I am looking for is confirmation on my choice of a Disco, and that I am not walking into more grief than I bargained for. Having owned a "77 Rangie I know some of their quirks, but this thing was hell reliable despite many K's on it. I just can't get into the Jap Fourbies, and I don't fit into Jeep Cherokees.

Thanks, and apologies for being a difficult bastard :roll: , but I just like to be sure.

Phoenix
23rd January 2004, 12:51 PM
Tough one.

I'll only partially answer this one.

With respect to unreliability. Any vehicle can be unreliable. Weather it be through factory faults, poor treatment or poor maintenance, anything can fall on its rear end.

If any car has been well maintained and looked after, and has not been subject to modificaten, it shoud be reliable.

That said, some early vehicles had dificulties, but what car doesn't? Look at the recent nissan recall.

That's my 2c for now :twisted:

harry
23rd January 2004, 08:41 PM
8) well a ford it ain't, as phoenix said, we can all give you little horror stories, suffice to say, i've had a '95 3.9 disco for about 60,000 k's, its given little hiccups at the most annoying times, shortly after i bought it, and still tells me that i should service it more often, but it hasn't really stopped [failed to proceed now and then] and caused no aborted trips.
it goes anywhere, and i'm still learning that, but if you have had a strange rover i guess you know what they do
good hunting
8) harry

bigbugga
23rd January 2004, 11:24 PM
Well my 97 V8i must have been very well looked after.

Bought it in 2000 and have had no major problems pop up.

Fuel pump needed replacing in 2002

Altonator was replaced in late 2003.

But apart from that it has been great.

I have modified it a little but not gone over the top.

It doesnt leak oil anywhere, and I have gotten used to how much fuel it goes through.

For now it is the best car I have ever owned and I plan on having it for a lot of years yet.

Pedro_The_Swift
24th January 2004, 06:11 AM
see "1/4 million klm" post.

fernockulated
24th January 2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by bigbugga

It doesnt leak oil anywhere

cant be a landy then can it!!!!!! :roll: 8O 8) style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

bigbugga
24th January 2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by fernockulated+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fernockulated)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-bigbugga

It doesnt leak oil anywhere

cant be a landy then can it!!!!!! :roll: 8O 8) style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/b][/quote]

I have been told that before.

Maybe I have the only one that doesnt 8O

Phoenix
27th January 2004, 08:32 AM
No, mine hasn't leaked particularly. It has started now though, A new seal is needed methinks.

Devil_Kin
27th January 2004, 12:33 PM
well, coming from a mad man like myself, don't be to worried what happens, AS LONG as you have fun doing it! :twisted:
look at me,
SWB S3,
crap driven out of it like a dickhead,
oh yeah thats right,
i am one!! :wink:
all cars have probs. take tham as they come on the chin

Devil_Kin
27th January 2004, 12:37 PM
oh yeah
my landy leaks like a bicth 8O
every thing down to the roof leaks!! :| (no comment)
ahh don't be too picky!! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

Mick-Kelly
27th January 2004, 09:45 PM
Landys are supposed to leak oil, its Solihull's patented anti rust system style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

bigbugga
27th January 2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Mick&#045;Kelly
Landys are supposed to leak oil, its Solihull's patented anti rust system style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

So maybe I can get mine fixed under garantee to make it leak :?