PDA

View Full Version : Spare Wheel carriers

wbowner
11th November 2013, 09:59 AM
Hi,
I am trying to get some info on spare wheel carriers as I am considering getting a aux tank installed.

The questions I have are:

1) What is the recommended one if any for a 2013 D4 TDV6
2) Do they interfere with the sensors and reversing camera (there is another thread on this I know).
3) Related to 1 I guess, my house is on a block with a slope. I am wandering if any of these carriers will wipe me out when I open them to get in the back - do they have some form of dampening.
4) Can they be removed

Richard

Redback
11th November 2013, 10:35 AM
Hi,
I am trying to get some info on spare wheel carriers as I am considering getting a aux tank installed.

The questions I have are:

1) What is the recommended one if any for a 2013 D4 TDV6
2) Do they interfere with the sensors and reversing camera (there is another thread on this I know).
3) Related to 1 I guess, my house is on a block with a slope. I am wandering if any of these carriers will wipe me out when I open them to get in the back - do they have some form of dampening.
4) Can they be removed

Richard

1)Opposite Lock, or rijidij(forum member)

2)Yes, but can be got around though

3) No they won't and yes they do

4) Yes

Baz:D

wbowner
11th November 2013, 12:35 PM
1)Opposite Lock, or rijidij(forum member)

2)Yes, but can be got around though

3) No they won't and yes they do

4) Yes

Baz:D

re Q 2 - does this apply to the camera as well or just the sensors.

Why do you recommend this over the Kaymar?

thanks again
Richard

Redback
11th November 2013, 01:42 PM
re Q 2 - does this apply to the camera as well or just the sensors.

Why do you recommend this over the Kaymar?

thanks again
Richard

If the camera is in the number plate light, then no it won't be effected as long as the carrier is drivers side, just the sensors, the Kaymar carrier comes with the bar and will be the same as if you get the carrier only from OP, the only difference is $4000 for the Kaymar setup and $1600 for the Opposie Lock setup.

We went with the Kaymar and dual carriers, we do a fair bit of remote stuff though and needed an extra spare, we had our parking sensors turned off, not everyone wants this though and also it can be hard to find a dealer to turn them off or know how to turn them off, one thing though, the reflecters that Kaymar supply to stop the sensors from going off, don't last very long.

Baz.

Geedublya
11th November 2013, 02:43 PM
I have the Kaymar bar with only one carrier on the drivers side. I also have the factory camera.

The camera is located under the handle for the top door and works well even with the spare wheel. I have installed the Kaymar shield for the rear sensors as well and the sensors are now working well.

Originally Kaymar specified that the shield have a gap to the spare wheel and tyre and I think it would have vibrated and broken quickly, now they specify it be tight against the tyre. Hopefully it will last.

The Kaymar rear bar is about $2000 and the carriers are $800 each. So my bar was less than $3000.

Opposite lock also offer the Outback Accessories rear bar and carriers. The on big advantage this bar has are that the high lift jack points are on the corners of the bar and would make lifting one corner a lot easier.

mowog
11th November 2013, 02:51 PM
I have a Kaymar rear bar, The Bar and an Aux tank cost around $5k when I did mine.

Parking sensors.

I wasn't happy with the lower lights in the Kaymar bar so I made a mount and attached another set of lights for the R/H side. I have a switch in my D4 for the LED lights on my van and turning this switch on disables the rear parking sensors.

Redback
11th November 2013, 03:01 PM
I have the Kaymar bar with only one carrier on the drivers side. I also have the factory camera.

The camera is located under the handle for the top door and works well even with the spare wheel. I have installed the Kaymar shield for the rear sensors as well and the sensors are now working well.

Originally Kaymar specified that the shield have a gap to the spare wheel and tyre and I think it would have vibrated and broken quickly, now they specify it be tight against the tyre. Hopefully it will last.

The Kaymar rear bar is about $2000 and the carriers are $800 each. So my bar was less than $3000.

Opposite lock also offer the Outback Accessories rear bar and carriers. The on big advantage this bar has are that the high lift jack points are on the corners of the bar and would make lifting one corner a lot easier.

They do a rear bar for the D3/D4??

discotwinturbo
11th November 2013, 03:28 PM
They do a rear bar for the D3/D4??

Yep.

Not as pretty at the Kaymar one though.

Brett.....

Redback
11th November 2013, 03:40 PM
Buggared if I can find one, outback don't mention a rear bar for the D3/4, neither does Opposite Lock, any chance of a link to it.

Baz.

discotwinturbo
11th November 2013, 05:50 PM
Buggared if I can find one, outback don't mention a rear bar for the D3/4, neither does Opposite Lock, any chance of a link to it. Baz.
Here are some pics.
You need to ring OL as not showing on their website.....their website is actually ****e.
They are advertising it in the 4wd magazines.
Outback accessories....these pics are from their Facebook page.

Brett....

~Rich~
11th November 2013, 05:54 PM
Looks like standard size tyres only would fit!
Tight in between.

wbowner
11th November 2013, 07:54 PM
There has been mention of weight being an issue as well. The OL one would way less.

Is the weight of the Kaymar an issue ?

Rich

wbowner
12th November 2013, 07:54 AM
Are the wheel carriers sold by OL, Frontrunner and Dollium the same.

They seem to have the same part numbers?

Rich

Redback
12th November 2013, 08:32 AM
Are the wheel carriers sold by OL, Frontrunner and Dollium the same.

They seem to have the same part numbers?

Rich

Yes I'm fairly sure they are the same.

As for the Kaymar rear bar, bar and one carrier is 78kg according to Kaymar.

Baz.

stray dingo
12th November 2013, 11:27 AM
Dolium and Front Runner are, but OL also sells the Outback Accessories one too.

Kaymar quoted 100kg when I looked at them....maybe they added the wheel too?

Redback
12th November 2013, 02:55 PM
Here are some pics.
You need to ring OL as not showing on their website.....their website is actually ****e.
They are advertising it in the 4wd magazines.
Outback accessories....these pics are from their Facebook page.

Brett....

Thanks Brett, we did ask a couple of years ago, but I'm pretty sure Gordon at OL said no, must be a new thing.

Looks like standard size tyres only would fit!
Tight in between.

Looks like tight fit indeed.

Dolium and Front Runner are, but OL also sells the Outback Accessories one too.

Kaymar quoted 100kg when I looked at them....maybe they added the wheel too?

I have a Kaymar bar sitting under the house, I'll weigh it and let everyone know:D

Baz.

connock
12th November 2013, 10:21 PM
With that much **** hanging off the back I would not be surprised if it could pop its front wheels in the air at the lights not to mention a very steep hill with some step ups

connock

Redback
14th November 2013, 07:33 AM
With that much **** hanging off the back I would not be surprised if it could pop its front wheels in the air at the lights not to mention a very steep hill with some step ups

connock

Look at it this way;

Remove 3rd row seats, 75kg according to LRA

Remove factory rear bar and associated stuff 20kg approx, could be heavier

Add Kaymar bar and wheel carrier 78kg to 100kg

There ya have it;)

Also no worse than having 150kg to 350kg of caravan ball weight on the towbar:o

Baz.

connock
14th November 2013, 09:17 PM
Look at it this way;

Remove 3rd row seats, 75kg according to LRA

Remove factory rear bar and associated stuff 20kg approx, could be heavier

Add Kaymar bar and wheel carrier 78kg to 100kg

There ya have it;)

Also no worse than having 150kg to 350kg of caravan ball weight on the towbar:o

Baz.

Yer yer I get were your coming from BUT the driving advertisement for OL in the pictures also has a tow bar so you cant include that about off road driving and who takes a van/camper off road that has a 350kg ball weight any how?
Sorry but I'm just into keeping things as light as possible ( extra tyres not wheels etc.) I realise not every one knows how to change a tyre and some like to look like they go bush all the time. Kay mar bar, Two wheels, hi lift Jack, HF radio aerial + mount and shovel all on the back. This tells me, that person doesn't do a lot of outback travel.

connock

Redback
15th November 2013, 08:06 AM
Yer yer I get were your coming from BUT the driving advertisement for OL in the pictures also has a tow bar so you cant include that about off road driving and who takes a van/camper off road that has a 350kg ball weight any how?
Sorry but I'm just into keeping things as light as possible ( extra tyres not wheels etc.) I realise not every one knows how to change a tyre and some like to look like they go bush all the time. Kay mar bar, Two wheels, hi lift Jack, HF radio aerial + mount and shovel all on the back. This tells me, that person doesn't do a lot of outback travel.

connock

The Gall Bros do:p

We added a Mitch Hitch, makes it higher and is around the same weight as the standard hitch, also you can't just carry a spare tyre with the D3/D4, getting a tyre off and on a rim in the bush is pretty much impossible because of the factory bead locks on the alloys, if I could get away with just a carcus I would, steel rims are heavier than alloys and some of the steel rims for the D3/D4 have issues with cracking.

I don't have a hi lift on the car, it's on the camper, don't have a HF radio either, sat phone and EPERB for us.

We have taken a lot of time setting this car up and making sure it's not too heavy, I would say with confidence, it's no heavier that the average Defender loaded up for a trip, most of our gear is in the camper, I reckon it will come in under 3.0t, when you consider they start out at 2.6t and they have a GVM of 3.245t.

Oh and yes we have done a fair amount of outback/remote travel, not as much as we would like, our previos tourer was pretty much setup the same way, never had an issue where ever we went, whether it was the High Country or the desert.

Baz.

ozetim
16th November 2013, 06:42 AM

connock

perhaps they have a bullbar and winch to offset the weight of the rear bar and wheels? ;)

stray dingo
18th November 2013, 02:15 PM
it won't offset the weight, just put more on....

gps-au
21st November 2013, 12:03 PM
I have to say I am happy with the combination of Mitch-hitch and Kaymar rear bar, which I actually have dual wheel carriers.

I don't have rear parking assist on my "S" model. I do have the LongRanger extra tank which gives me the easy combined range of 2000km without hassle.

The only real issue I have is the latching mechanisms. SWMBO definitely cannot handle them. No matter how they are adjusted :mad:

Currently I have an arm/shoulder issue, and I can not open the rear easily, having to use my left hand.

I would love a solution to the problem. As I get older I can see having issues with these latches, I do remember seeing one rear carrier from Melbourne with an easy latch, just wish kaymar came out with a retrofit one.......

~Rich~
21st November 2013, 02:27 PM
Like this:
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/11/103.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/VSK5/media/e67e184e-738d-4ce6-b55e-1b5dd4319641_zpsf3d6a1df.jpg.html)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/11/104.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/VSK5/media/8894dafd-87fd-4d29-824d-2716eb708975_zpsd4f70975.jpg.html)

Graeme
21st November 2013, 05:03 PM
As I get older I can see having issues with these latches, I do remember seeing one rear carrier from Melbourne with an easy latch, just wish kaymar came out with a retrofit one.......I find the Dolium one very easy to use.

discojools
21st November 2013, 08:25 PM
I second that Dolium one very easy! the one from melbourne by 4x4Intelligence not made anymore.. It had other problems though.

Fred Nerk
22nd November 2013, 06:52 PM
I bought the Dollium/Front Runner/Opposite Lock version. I hesitated because of the lack of a lock or gas strut to keep it open when parked on uneven ground. Turns out that I have not encountered a problem. It has an easily used latch and enough friction to stop it swinging. I like the minimal cosmetic change to the rear of the car.

gps-au
27th November 2013, 10:45 PM
Like this:
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/11/103.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/VSK5/media/e67e184e-738d-4ce6-b55e-1b5dd4319641_zpsf3d6a1df.jpg.html)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2013/11/104.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/VSK5/media/8894dafd-87fd-4d29-824d-2716eb708975_zpsd4f70975.jpg.html)

gotta say it does look interesting.

BUT, I did say a retrofit for my kaymar.

After many medical tests/scans there seems to be only thing actually stopping my arm/shoulder problem recovery, I have had to stop using the tailgate latches totally for the moment.

I may have a 2008 D3 "S" my09 , with air suspension and leather (& a heap of other extras) coming on the market shortly.... :(

Graeme
29th November 2013, 09:06 PM
After many medical tests/scans there seems to be only thing actually stopping my arm/shoulder problem recovery, I have had to stop using the tailgate latches totally for the moment.

I may have a 2008 D3 "S" my09 , with air suspension and leather (& a heap of other extras) coming on the market shortly.... :(
If the problem is the force needed to open and close the lock, would a length of tube fitted over the handle to improve leverage be of any use? Otherwise can you have the arms (RWC, not yours!) removed for your recovery period, keeping a spare in the back?

gps-au
2nd December 2013, 09:05 PM
If the problem is the force needed to open and close the lock, would a length of tube fitted over the handle to improve leverage be of any use? Otherwise can you have the arms (RWC, not yours!) removed for your recovery period, keeping a spare in the back?

Sometimes, I think mine might be a good idea !!.

I am actually side loading/unloading thru the right rear door (passenger behind driver). Its a pain, but doable.

But honestly, the vehicle will be going on the market soon, I just have to decide what to replace it with.. whichever, it will have to fit in the garage this time (well I did buy the house after the car last time). The carport is great, but the house extension will demolish that.