PDA

View Full Version : Got Budder!

DT-P38
11th November 2013, 10:46 PM
Hi there,

Please welcome Budder to AULRO.

Budder is a S3 88' Hardtop originally with rover diesel - or so the comp plate and fuel filler say. He has at some time been converted to a Holden Red 202 with (I think a Holden) 3 speed manual box. Everything else seems more or less standard and he is in surprisingly good nick. Fire wall and chassis all seem rot free. With only mild surface rust and a few pin holes here and there.

At this stage his role will be as a beach truck at our favourite summer holiday destination. He is currently undergoing a clean up and then basic service routines prior to getting permitted to take the big drive to the beach early in the new year.

The name Budder comes from my kids. It is the name given to gold in the very popular online game Minecraft. Apt, I think, as the paint plate says Camino Gold.

Thanks to Mick Marsh for the use of his trailer to go get Budder from up near Bega NSW.

davidsonsm
12th November 2013, 05:42 AM
Shock horror. What's that you're towing with? Congrats Dave. Looks like more fun and games

Mick_Marsh
12th November 2013, 06:07 AM
Nice shorty.
First thing you'll have to do is remove that bullbar. Then, the sunraysia wheels will really set it off.

Lionelgee
12th November 2013, 09:17 AM
Hello Dave,

Have a good time with Budder.

Can you describe how it got its name?

Also who built the excellent Lego version? Were you doing some future design plans and needed a 3D mock up to get a better picture of it? ;)

Kind Regards
Lionel

DT-P38
12th November 2013, 09:37 AM
Nice shorty. First thing you'll have to do is remove that bullbar. Then, the sunraysia wheels will really set it off.
Yes!

That bar is braced and welded on all over the place, including to the front chassis rails... Not too sure how to fix yet... Probably need a gas axe to blow it off given access doesn't allow grinding. Bugger! Also been sniffing out std puma front bars to cut down and mount when I finally get that sorted and out of the way.

Paint is worse than I thought, although it's cleaned up ok. Any thoughts on how to do a cheap and quick jam job to get the alloy patches covered with some paint again?

TODAY: Re-painting wheels, spare holder, rear cross member & anything else requiring black kill rust! Seeing if I can squeeze some old county side seats in the back and marine carpeting the dash, roof and floors if time permits.

DT-P38
12th November 2013, 09:45 AM
Hello Dave, Have a good time with Budder. Can you describe how it got its name? Also who built the excellent Lego version? Were you doing some future design plans and needed a 3D mock up to get a better picture of it? ;) Kind Regards Lionel
Budder is the name for gold in the online game Minecraft. My kids named it. The boys also made the lego version for me to play with when I got home from picking up the real one. I SMS'ed them the photo of it on the trailer when loaded up and ready to head home. Since then they have been playing all over it and having design competitions for stickers to dress it up! Industrious little darlings!

I told them when I was buying it that it would be the beach truck and they would probably learn to drive manual box in it. I think they may already have it in their heads it's their vehicle. Can't wait until they are big enough to get in and help with the work side of this Landy collecting disease I seem to be developing!

DT-P38
13th November 2013, 12:19 PM
I am planning to take the hard top off Budder and go with bows and canvas like Mick88's sweet looking 88'. We even have some nice fat sunrsysia's lined up to help with the sand work.

One thing I am missing is a half height rear door or tailgate or whatever the short version is called... What are the alternative solutions to waiting for a real one to pop up in the markets section? Will be carting kids back there so a chain is probably not up to the task. Anything else would be "on the table".

Any ideas and/or photos appreciated.

Mick_Marsh
14th November 2013, 07:31 PM
One thing I am missing is a half height rear door or tailgate or whatever the short version is called...
A fellow at the Bendigo Swapmeet tried to give me one a couple of years ago. I'll keep a lookout for one this weekend

DT-P38
15th November 2013, 05:43 PM
A fellow at the Bendigo Swapmeet tried to give me one a couple of years ago. I'll keep a lookout for one this weekend

Appreciate that very much Michael. If you see a canvas roof/tilt to suit while you are up there, Budder wants one of those for the beach as well!

Doing the marine carpet (I didn't get to last week) and fitting up the old County seats and console to him this weekend...

DT-P38
28th November 2013, 09:46 PM
Budder got a new key set installed today, well sort of anyway.

Couldn't source an ignition key barrel from one of my usual suppliers this week and he ended up letting me know that budder is actually some sort of weird (to me) LR\GMH, 70's hybrid...

Apparently, not only is the red 202 and 3 speed floor shift an old Holden mod by one of the PO's, but the ignition switch/lock is early Holden too. Anyway, because I lost the key handed over at purchase, getting one made up hurt the back pocket by nearly exactly the same $ value as three new LR door barrels. My own stupid fault I guess!

Anyway, swapped the new door lock barrels in and refitted the ignition switch/lock and ab-ra-ca-dab-ra budder roars (err splutters) back to life!

Now to get a road trip up to see Mick88 sorted! Wonder if I can do it on a unreg. vehicle permit? :angel:

DT-P38
3rd December 2013, 06:37 PM
Brakes have leaky cylinders all round and the plastic reservoir is bodgy patched up. Flexi Lines could do with replacing...

Swap out cylinders or rebuild?
Replace reservoir or entire master cylinder and reservoir?
Orig lines or flashy chrome mesh covered?

Any suggestions?

Homestar
3rd December 2013, 06:59 PM
All I did with mine was pull the wheel cylinders out, pull them apart, and clean everything up. Hone the cylinder with some 400 wet and dry, then reassemble with clean fluid. This may or may not work, but its not hard to do and may save you a few dollars. The rubbers in mine were in good condition, so you may know as soon as you pull them apart if they are worth rebuilding.

Some braided lines may not be approved, and some mechanics will pick on them, so I would go stock black ones personally.

DT-P38
26th December 2013, 10:47 PM
While putting the new sunnies and 33's on I rebuilt/reco'd the worst of the leaking cylinders (front right). Unfortunately "Budder" is still dribbling brake fluid on my driveway. Will have to try and grab a couple of new cylinders from Graeme tomorrow and get it sorted properly.

He is still starting and running well but the clutch has gotten worse all of a sudden. Can't select a gear from neutral at idle and if starting in gear the friction point is that far gone he will gradually crawl fwd (or back if in reverse). He was parked up for some time before I took possession and I was hoping this clutch business was going to just be use it more and it will free up... I had a look in the clutch cylinder and the fluid looks to be at a good level but is quite dark. Beyond that I know little of this clutch or what to do with it.

Any ideas, tricks of trade or suggestions on clutch servicing or replacement/refresh?

All comments appreciated.

Dave