PDA

View Full Version : Disco Series 1 0R Series 2... That is the Question????

Bytemrk
4th February 2004, 04:43 PM
Hi All,

I'm new here and yes I'm about to buy my first Discovery... I am tossing around whether to go with a '98 model series 1 or stretch the budget and go to a 99 Series 2. - any advise would be most welcome.

- I have been told Series 2 parts are significantly more expensive - so I lean towards the Series 1. :roll:
but:
- The Series 2 has a little more room in the back..( I need space for the kids and the dog!) - so I lean back to Series 2 8O
but:
- The Series 2 have a lot more electronics to go Bang miles for no where - I'm leaning back to series 1 again. :?
but:
- Some of those Series 2 electronics sound good as it will be ny day to day road car as well as the family get away mobile... :?:

I am looking at a V8 manual setup - but am struggling to make a clear decision on which Series..

If any of you Disco experts can help with your thoughts. I really would appreciate it and I promiise I'll post some nice pictures once I get the new toy into some action... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Phoenix
5th February 2004, 08:17 AM
Plenty of disco experts here, but i'll still have my say anyway style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

I reakon if you can stretch your budget to a series 2, go for it.

Realistically there isn't really that much more electronic gadgetry in a series 2 than a series 1. And if something electrical is going to go bang, it will regardless of what kind of car it is. So you are better off gaining the benifits of a series 2 machine IMHO.

DiscoRob
6th February 2004, 02:07 PM
G'Day Bytemrk,

To be honest, if my finances had allowed me to go for a Series 2, when I purchased 2 years ago, I would have. However, they didn't, I didn't and I'm very happy (in general) with my Series 1.

Be prepared to keep it though, as you're in for big time depreciation. I paid $28,500 for mine in Dec 2001, from a LR dealer and got offered $13,000 for it as a t/in on a series 2 in Nov 2003, from the same dealer. I nearly cried... :cry: That money was obviously around the mark at which dealers were 'talking' for mine, as a non LR dealer offered me the same $$ on a 99 Series 2 he had in his yard, too... more blubbering.. :cry:

Note - They can go to hell! I'm keeping it now, spent over $1600 2 weeks ago and more to come, I'm gonna make her do 500,000...........

All genuine LR parts are expensive and you may well be right about Series 2 parts being more so, I personally don't know - a call to your LR delaer will tell the story.

Both the 1s and the 2s handle well, and I really don't know whether the electronic gizmo's on the 2s make them much better - although no doubt people who have owned both will have an opinion on that. My mate has a TD5 Series 2 and it handles.... well, ......a bit more tautly than mine.. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif what can I say?

They're both comfortable on road, good off road, and as long as you keep them well maintained... reliable. They have good standard suspension, and good standard ground clearance, with everything pretty well tucked away.

The V8 will give you great torque, but will be expensive to run compared to the TD motors. The TDs will give good fuel economy and once in the turbo power band, reasonable power, but will be abysmal in standard form, below it. (Actually the TD5 is heaps more powerful than the Tdi).

Point of view....my wife likes my car (as a passenger) but doesn't like to drive it herself as...get this.. she says "you have to actually drive it"... Oh well.

Welcome to AULRO, you'll find heaps of informed comment and info around here - they're all very helpful (have always given me great advice) (crawl...crawl..) - but they're biased! They're all bloody LR owners!

Let us know what you do...

Regards,

Rob.

Phoenix
6th February 2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by DiscoRob
- but they're biased! They're all bloody LR owners!

Well at least we recomend good vehicles. I agree that the TD5 is the pick of the engines.

Happy hinting style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Timmo
6th February 2004, 03:55 PM
Am about to trade my series 1 for a series 2, from the V8 to the TD5. Main reason is just because I want a Diesel. Have been very happy with the series 1 though, it goes well off road in standard form, and very comfy on road. Has given me almost NO trouble at all, and has never leaked a drop of any fluid.

The depreciation factor is huge.......but it means you do get a decent car for reasonable money when buying.

Other thing to bear in mind, series 1 has a centre diff lock, series 2 doesn't (re-introduced in '03) but 2 has Electronic Traction Control instead. Seems a lot of people install an after market CDL on series 2 to have the best of both worlds.

Pedro_The_Swift
6th February 2004, 05:55 PM
Hey I'm no expert,,
I just like the buggars,,

If room is a problem,
go the series 2.

Bytemrk
6th February 2004, 09:56 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies, I'm spending the weekend driving a couple so hopefully in a few days will be more decided...

I realise what ever I buy will be worth half of that in a few years - But what the hell I want one! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

I probably will have the same story with my missus - not wanting to drive it - but isn't that a positive :roll: ?? My last 2 "new " cars have misteriously become her car within 6 -12 months. This one will be MINE!! and she can't have it..

I think I will lean to series 2 - but it really comes down to the budget and the particular car. I'd rather a really good Series 1 than a dodgy series 2 so plenty of test driving and crawling around under them for me!!..

And Timmo, your right if I go Series 2 an aftermarket diff lock kit is high on the shopping list

Anyway will definitely let you know when I get my act together and really do appreciate a bit of friendly advise.

Cul
6th February 2004, 11:09 PM
A main difference I have noticed is in the differentials.

The Series I has the centre slip differential, the Series II has some kind of electronic traction control but no slip diff, and the new Series III has both slip diff and traction control standard.

From Disco owners I have spoken about it - the traction control unit in the Series II will only bring you grief after a period of good useage... so stick to the slip diffs is what they tell me.

Obviously also the Series I had the TDI engine and the Series II onwards had the TD5 engine... The Series III also adopted the TD5 engine (accompanied by the later 110/Defender models). TD5 much nicer.

Bit of a tough one, but guys I know pick the best option for what they actually want to do with the thing.... like the shame of buying a landrover and never taking it offroad.... tragic waste.

Cheers,
Cul