PDA

View Full Version : Freelander purchase

Bomber
7th February 2004, 08:02 AM
Hi All,

I am looking at becoming the proud owner of a 2004 Freelander TD4, but before going thru with the purchase I would like to know if there are any people out there that have had problems with the freelander in general.

I have spoken to a number of people that have "heard" they have numerous problems but they are only unconfirmed rumours. I would like to hear from anyone that has had first hand experience with the freelander.

Thanks
Bomber style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Phoenix
9th February 2004, 07:50 AM
Most of what you would have heard about freelander problems would have been of engine problems in the models preceeding the TD4 engine.

By all accounts the TD4 equiped vehicles are problem free. The V6 is more popular, but eats fuel. I'd opt for the TD4. In fact, my fiancee has been eyeing off one for a while now, so we might end up with another Land Rover eventually 8)

LRHybrid100
9th February 2004, 01:36 PM
G'day,

A work collegue had a 2000ish V6 and no end of complains - mainly auto box and running gear. She had 2 new gearboxes in 12 months - but I MUST point out that their family generally drive Benz or high end Toyotas.

She eventually got LR to return it for Credit against a new 2003 TD4 Auto - she now loves this vehicle.

Now I might get some peace from her complaining to me every week about Land Rover!!!

My final response was "People like you should not buy or drive LR, I blame LR for even encouraging people like you to changes from their boring metal Japanese boxes"

Leave LR's to those who accept they break down, can be a bugger to fix etc etc. BUT we still need people like her to buy new, so we can buy a secondhand bargain!!!

Thats my 10c worth.

BR LRH

DionM
11th February 2004, 08:25 PM
I'm the happy owner of a 2002 V6 Freelander ES (Auto). Had it for 18mths, done 23,000 kays. That's comprised of city commuting, long distance highway runs and some dirt roads.

Issues with it have been:
- V6 doesn't like BP fuel. Don't know why, just doesn't. After standing for >12hrs it will start roughly. Fill it with Shell, Mobil etc and it will start fine, even after 2wks. Bizzare.
- Squeaky drivers seat. Replaced under wty.

And that's it.

The early V6s and TD4s had problems, as with any 'new' Land Rover. I know of a few who have had problems, and of a few who have had no problems.

Anyway, am more than happy with mine. The V6 does drink but is an absolute hoot to drive - the hoon in me just couldn't drive a TD4 just yet. It'll out-accelerate a Commodore from the lights style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

LRHybrid100
11th February 2004, 10:30 PM
My old man went from a 300 TDI Disco auto to a TD4 Freelander Manual.

He is well impressed - says it even better than his old Disco, but he never takes it off road.

BR LRH.

Turtle61
17th February 2004, 09:05 PM
I have the early 1998 TD F'lander (5 door). Got it form the original owner and appart from busted diff casing (high speed drive over gibbers) and centre diff issues it was and is trouble free. Some bits needed replacing (glow plugs and induction hose) but I am happy with it (would be happier if I could drive it - it is in Oz and I am in Switzerland)... the 2.0L diesel engine is a wee bit underpowered but the TD4 is much, much better. Nice size - small enough for city and big enough for cruising with good economy. Wish I had one here style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

Phoenix
20th February 2004, 11:56 AM
G'day Turtle61.

Nice to see another stumper here. When are you going to be back in Oz?