PDA

View Full Version : Defender wing protectors

betty
20th February 2004, 08:59 AM
Looking to purchase some Aluminium wing protectors for my Defender 130 - I can purchase a set in the UK and ship them for about $150.00 but would rather purchase in Aus . Does anyone know where you can purchase these in Aus. I have had a couple of quotes to have them made but more like $250 which seems crazy considering I can import for $150.

I also need a new foam for the drivers seat as the current one has split on the side. Again can import but would rather purchase in Aus.

Defender200Tdi
20th February 2004, 12:31 PM
Graeme Cooper in Sydney has them on special for $146

http://www.lrexpert.com.au/custom.php?page=defender

Paul

lewy110
20th February 2004, 10:53 PM
How can a couple of bits of alloy chequer plate with a slight roll in one end cost $250. Even $150 or so seems a bit steep.

Pedro_The_Swift
21st February 2004, 08:25 AM
saw a couple of sets at gympie 4x4 while I was there, er, the um, other day :oops:

The owner has a very nice 130,,, style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

landrovermick
21st February 2004, 11:48 AM
Mate i recon you could make then easily enough that is if you could get a template for one. Then turn it over and it would do both sides
if you make a template.

Take it to a few aluminium fabricators one should surely be able to cut it out for you....one would think using a piece of scrap it would only cost a slab or so - id be looking for boating manufacturers instead of places which make bull bars etc......

Or give Ken O Keefe a call at Ultimate 4X4 a call - he may know of a place that can manufacturer them for ya .

his number is 02 96037677. tell him Michael with the discovery sent ya he'll look after you

Other thing is try four wheel drive in melbourne.... they are supposed to be ok

If it needs running around at this end im happy to be your feet on the ground in Sydney

Regards

Mick

snailbait
24th February 2004, 07:42 PM
there great to stand on but some are better than others
style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

barney
25th February 2004, 07:48 PM
betty,
try getting in touch with a guy by the name of "ken wright" of "aluminium engineering" in brookvale NSW. he makes and sells them and is a landrover owner and an lroc club member

VladTepes
3rd March 2004, 01:24 PM
Would love to hear how you go as I'm thinking of getting some myself.

Also those dodgy black intake and fake intake on the guards need replacing. Wonder if I can get some alloy ones from somewhere. If so would they be better in normal alloy or black powdercoat - looks wise.... (in combintion with alloy guard protectors...

LRHybrid100
3rd March 2004, 06:51 PM
G'day Barney,

Spoke to Ken earlier this week - he does them for around $120 in 2.5mm sheet.

I've ssen some of his work - looks bloody great.

BR LRH.

VladTepes
3rd March 2004, 07:22 PM
Did you buy some?
Photos?

Contact details ?
Website ?

LRHybrid100
3rd March 2004, 07:31 PM
G'day Vlad,

I haven't been down to see him yet.

Contact details:

Ken Wright
Aluminium Engineering
89 Old Pittwater Rd
Brookvale (home of the MIGHTY EAGLES)
NSW 2100
02 9939 6319

barney
3rd March 2004, 09:33 PM
i actually made my own from 4mm sheet. wasn't easy. but one of my mates who's a stickler for detail was quite impressed with them.used nut-serts and 6mm, countersunk phillips head screws to mount them with silicon underneath. there's a type of silicon we use in the catering equipment imndustry that is almost an exact colour match for aluminium and stainless steel. you can fill any edges and gaps anbd it looks just like the real thing.

VladTepes
16th March 2004, 01:41 PM
Any more news on this thread ?

I was wondering what the best way to mount them would be.

Is 2.5mm alloy adequate or is 4mm the way to go.
Barney - you interested in doing another set ?
Perhaps there's a market for you on here.....

barney
16th March 2004, 05:02 PM
test reply this has been playing up on my pc

KEV0044
16th March 2004, 05:21 PM

barney
16th March 2004, 08:22 PM
good on you kev. it's great to see the system working. i hope that they are up to you're expectations. btw, what did you think of his 130 dual-cab. it's a machine that inspector gadget would be proud of

VladTepes
17th March 2004, 09:42 AM
I love 130 Dual cabs.

But I like the suspension articulation of a 110 more.

Damn sway bars.
:roll: