PDA

View Full Version : Mainshaft problems

Mick-Kelly
24th February 2004, 02:37 PM
G'day all
Ok simple question. Do the mainshaft issues affect auto discos.
cheers
Mick

Defender200Tdi
24th February 2004, 04:13 PM
I have read elsewhere that there is no reason that the autos should be any less affected by the mainshaft wear issue, since it is caused by the Transfer Box, not the Gearbox. Indeed, it was the modification to the Transfer Box that corrected this problem in 1996. I can't find the details of the Tranfer Box suffix numbers that first incorporated the cross-drilled gear and longer splines, but I know it was sometime in 1996.

Having said that, other than one instance, I haven't seen any reports of the issue arising with the autos, maybe someone else knows different? For whatever reason, the problem doesn't seem to arise with the autos. Perhaps it's because they are generally kinder to the drive line as a whole compared to manuals?

I had a June 1994 built V8 Disco, which is well before the problem was corrected, and in over 160,000km's never had a problem with the Transfer Box. Also, I did read somewhere that in the autos the repair for the spline problem is less of a pain (and cost) than for the manual, because the output shaft for the autos can be replaced without complete disassembly of the box.

If I find the Transfer Box suffix no's I'll post them here.

Paul

HSVRangie
24th February 2004, 04:14 PM
Auto not as harsh on the splines.

But the input gear was not drilled in the early autos as was the manual, definetly have them drilled if you have them in parts.

Very easy to drill, 2x 10mm holes 180 degrees aposed.
Regards
Michael

Defender200Tdi
24th February 2004, 04:45 PM
Found it!

Transfer Boxes after these serial numbers contained the cross drilled gear and longer splines:

28D 460996F for Discos
22D 461124F for Defenders

No Range Rovers with LT230 Transfer Boxes had the required modification.

In some instances the earlier Transfer Boxes were given an upgrade of a splash ring in front of the Input Gear. This provides extra lubrication to the splines and was a temporary fix until Landrover modified the gear. (I did read that Ashcroft Transmissions claim that whilst the splash ring provided the lubrication to the splines and prevented them wearing, it also starved the bearing behind the ring of oil and caused that to prematurely fail!) :roll: Anyway, those Transfer Boxes that had the splash ring fitted were supposed to have a 'Prominent Paint Mark' applied to the rear cover plate. I don't have any info on when Landrover began this interim modification, or how far back they went. I'd gues that precious few of the earlier Transfer Boxes were given the upgrade. Note once again, the term is 'upgrade', not 'rectification'.

Paul

Mick-Kelly
25th February 2004, 03:00 PM
Cheers
I'll chaeck the box against those numbers. Its a 97 model auto tdi so hopefully its got the "upgrade"
cheers
Mick

bazzle
26th February 2004, 04:24 PM
Either way it pays to add an extra 1/3pint of oil to transfer to make splash in the spline area.

Bazzle style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif