PDA

View Full Version : LT230 & Gearbox

crawfy
24th February 2004, 09:27 PM
Hi all, was a bit of a tool :oops: and put a thicker grade oil in the Tbox & Gbox, I have noticed a vast difference in the gear changes, ie alot harder to change gears!!!!!!!!!! Should I be running a Grade of oil that is used in the Auto box's? As I read this somewhere?
regards
Crawfy 8)
S2A88 & 97tdi Disco

incisor
24th February 2004, 09:53 PM
penrite light gear oil is your friend!

Phoenix
25th February 2004, 08:53 AM
I agree withn incisor, good stuff style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

nothing but what is recomended for my gearbod. SAE 90 I think is the grade (well one of the measurements anyway). I don't know about this auto box stuff though.

defute
25th February 2004, 09:00 AM
Crawfy,

the factory specified lubricants for the R380 / LT230 combination in your 97MY Disco should be -

Caltex MTF94 for the Gearbox and an 80/90 grade gear oil for the Transfer Case (not brand specific).

You will quite offen experience gear selection problems, i.e baulking or crunching, if the incorrect oil is used in the gearbox!!

Defender200Tdi
25th February 2004, 09:14 AM
I've had excellent results with Castrol VMX80 in the gearbox. It's very easy to find, even BigW sell it. For alternatives to MTF94 there is a list here (http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/MTF.htm).

Some of them are easier to get than others.

Paul

incisor
25th February 2004, 12:00 PM
if you like vmx80 you will LOVE penrite light gear oil...

way better temperature stability better and faster selection speed in all situations IMHO

MTF is fine if you live in the colder areas of au in the hotter regions it simply doesnt cut it from my experience.

I know many of the gearbox rebuilders wont warrant their rebuild if you use mtf again, nearly all stipulate at least vmx80 or better.

Defender200Tdi
25th February 2004, 12:46 PM
Hi Incisor

Thanks for that.

It's interesting that you say Penrite is that much better since this viscosity is similar to VMX80 at high temps, but a bit higher (thicker) at low temps.

Anyway, I might give it a go next change. Anything that can improve a Landrover gearbox has to worth a shot. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Paul

crawfy
25th February 2004, 10:40 PM
Hi all, funny you should say Penrite!!!!! I am running Penrite Light Oil!!!
I have had nothing but problems since fillinf both the T/box & G/Box with Penrite Light Oil!!!!!!!! I drained bothh Box's today and put Caltex Auto Box Oil in and guess what ??????????????? The gear changes are like driving my Brother inlaw's 2003 WRX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So hey I guess it's a lesson id your vehicle needs a little time to warm up? Penritr is ok!!!
As I live in a hilly area of Adelaide the thinner Viscosity Auto Oil is what is required , reach good gear change
regards
Crawfy