PDA

View Full Version : Disco put downs

Lance
4th March 2004, 05:27 PM
:cry: i am about to to buy a disco and i have spoken to many owners who say thiers is very reliable and hav n't had any trouble with Disco but every now and then I get some one who says the Disco is not reliable and not made for Aussie conditions but I have see them on the tele in the deserts and inthe rainforests with the same conditions as here and dont uderstand how that can be said that as we have the conditions of same here we are not the only country with any of these sorts of terrain as I think we have them all. Why are people out there saying thinks like this and it is not just because they own Jap or others. i have never found any probs with any 4x4 that i have looked at and reseached I found that they all have some thinds that are a bit ifffy....Cheers ...Lance :?

tracker
4th March 2004, 06:47 PM
Lance,
I have driven/owned l/rs since 1964 and always some one tells me they are useless/hopeless/ dont do this or that/etc etc.
All you gotto do is keep it well serviced which is easy to do and it will go as good as if not better then most.
what type of disco are you thinking off?

cheers Tracker

Pedro_The_Swift
4th March 2004, 07:04 PM
Smile Lance!! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif
buying a new car is a good thing :!:
buying a disco is a great thing :!: :!:

Just look at LOTS,
Look for service history,
get the RACQ to check it out,

Do your homework,
and the decision will be fairly simple.

as for THEM,,, style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

WE normally just wave as we pass them on the beach/river/snow/mud hole/highway.

DONT we fellas :!:

one_iota
4th March 2004, 07:24 PM
Lance,

All of the above.

Although if I had had access to the information now available on the internet prior to purchasing mine I may have made a more considered decision and bought a.....

Discovery.

At the time the heart ruled the mind.

Now the mind is still catching up. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Rovernaut
4th March 2004, 07:43 PM
Treat it like a women, pamper it and it will look after you well, don't and it will divorce you. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

LandyAndy
4th March 2004, 09:22 PM
Hi Guys
I once didnt like the "look" of Discos,have gradually let them "grow" on me to the point of even considering that I wouldnt mind owning one as a day to day driver.There are many earlier 4 doors around in WA no for $12 to $15K,petrol or diesel.Fortunately $$$$$ stop me from buying anything but after many "bad gripes" read here,BSLARS,LRE etc it makes me wonder "why consider"
The rover V8 if neglected is a big headache,as everybody would agree and thirsty unless run on LPG,then still thirsty just not quite as expensive to fill.My bitch is about diesels,not just Landrover,many in someway complain about the reliability and running costs of the 200/300 TDI and just adequete power.I have never driven or riden in a Disco.
I made the mistake of buying a MITSABITCHY Tritoo 2.5 diesel 8 years ago,the first motor decided to leak coolant thru a porous head,I put an import 2.5 turbo motor in,great more horsepower(SLUGPOWER!!!!),18 months later drops a valve,it goes up thru the head,lets the coolant out into the turbo,time to buy another import motor,this time intercooled as well.Great even more slugpower,this one even wastes much newer nissans and cruisers on uphill overtaking lanes pulling a trailer.
OK,this isnt a JAP winge place,but we are talking the same engine size/HP(I guess)/mpg(i get 28mpg easy).At least with the jap cr!! you at least have acsess to cheap second hand motors,my last was $2300 complete.I would never get a japcrapp!r again,but wonder would I be much better off in a Landy product? PS I would just die for a 110 Extreme,then wouldnt we all!!
Anyway,thats enough bitching,am I too far out of line????
Look forward to all replys.
Cheers
Andrew

bigbugga
4th March 2004, 10:32 PM
I had never even sat in a Landrover before buying my Disco.

Went out and looked at everything, tojo's and patrols as well as the notsosquishies and even some of the imports.

Did very little research but did ask a few people who Iknow and trust for their opinion.

Got about a 50/50 responce in favour of the Landroaver badge.

But those that were for it had the same thing to say, LOOK AFTER IT AND IT WILL KEEP GOING.

Have done just that and has very rarly let me down.

Only time's were a fuel pump problem, took 10min to fix and even then was replaced under g/tee.

And the altinator went on me as well, but that happens.

Wear and tear are normal so look for one that has been a city unit and never seen the dirt. Will be a good start.

Phoenix
5th March 2004, 09:18 AM
Just ignore the people that moan about landrovers, they expect cars to keep going with absoutely no maintenance, and last forever.

And those that bag them out are just jealous really.

Go for the landy, make sure that it is a good one (the same as ou would with any car), service it regularly, kieep it in top condition, and it will last forever and be the most fun that you have had in a car.

I still smile when I drive my landy, but that might be a series landy thing :wink:

VladTepes
16th March 2004, 11:49 AM
Hmm so the handbrake doesn't want a RR Classic but she did say that she likes Discos.....

:twisted: thoughts....

But she won't get one if it can't fit into the car park at her work.

What's the clearance height of a standard Disco ?

What sort of prices would a good one command ?

Timmo
16th March 2004, 01:11 PM
Vlad -

1968 mm series 1 with roof rails fitted

VladTepes
16th March 2004, 01:22 PM
So you wouldn't go into any car park which SAID clearance less than ????

agrojnr
16th March 2004, 02:01 PM
Lance I have owned different Landy's over the last 4 years so have problems and some don't but any car or 4x4 you buy could be the same unless you service it reg and look after it.
That means if you find something wrong with her then fix don't be one of those people who say "she'll be right mate" coz that attitude never works.

If you still have doughts about the greatest 4x4 eva built do what I did and go to the Solihull factory and do a tour and go on the offroad tracks then I'll bet you buy on then style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif 8) style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

adam :twisted:

Defender200Tdi
16th March 2004, 02:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>go to the Solihull factory and do a tour [/b][/quote]

Excellent!!! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif Was it available for anyone or did you have a special arrangement? Did you need to pre-book or something?

I'm going to the UK for our (now regular) biennial trip to Europe in November. I just fancy myself boring the socks off SWMBO with a little tour around Lode Lane!! :mrgreen:

Paul

Phoenix
16th March 2004, 02:29 PM
From what I have read anyone can do it, but it pays to book ahead (somebody correct me if i'm wrong).

Can't remember the name of it though :?

Timmo
16th March 2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Vlad
So you wouldn't go into any car park which SAID clearance less than ?

About 2m.......i figure it will have sagged a fair bit anyway. A 40mm lift will preclude me from 2 m parks, but 2.1 should be ok.

Timmo
16th March 2004, 03:23 PM
Good part is if you do touch the roof a bit it will only be the roof rail that touches.....make sure the surf ski is not on the roof first though...

agrojnr
16th March 2004, 04:01 PM
To all the people who what to know about the factory tours I will post the info on here later today ( at work at the moment ) I will include prices as well.

VladTepes
17th March 2004, 09:28 AM
[quote=Land Rover World Magazine]Solihull, home of a Legend
A visit to the place where Land Rovers are made, at the moment at least, is one of the best trips any Land Rover enthusiast can make. There is a Land Rover Experience Centre at the factory site too, so as well as the factory tour, visitors can also experience the famous Jungle Track. There is even a selection of older Land Rovers, as well as the fleet of new ones, in which to sample this testing track.

Home of the Legend: 0121 7004619 (UK phone number)
Prices (all in UK Pounds):
Bronze package: factory tour 58.75
Silver package: factory tour, lunch, and demonstration drive. 117.50
Gold Package: all of the above, plus half a day's driving course. 199.75

Land Rover Experience: http://www.landrover.com

Hope this helps mate.

And make sure you take plenty of photos for us, and you can do a report on it for the following AULRO magazine !

Defender200Tdi
17th March 2004, 09:53 AM
Hey, thanks for that. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif I just emailed the details to SWMBO to, you know, drop the subtlest of hints. :wink: She probably thinks we'll do a trip over to Europe whilst we're there, but by the time we've been parts shopping, touring the factory and maybe meeting up with some of the guys from the LRE forum, well, there wont be time, will there?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Besides, we've been to Europe before on the last couple of trips, and frankly, it's just full of foreigners. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

Paul

VladTepes
17th March 2004, 10:02 AM
Yeah I found that too.

Oh and you'll need to know some useful phrases.

For example did you know the most used phrase in the French language :?:

"I surrender :!: " style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

agrojnr
17th March 2004, 01:04 PM
Hey guy's I did the gold tour when I was there and thats the best it cost 170 pounds and starts at 8am - 3pm and when you finished you get a certificate to say you have done it.

It also includes lunch

Pedro_The_Swift
17th March 2004, 06:47 PM
Any free samples??? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

VladTepes
18th March 2004, 12:51 PM
Sure :!:

Here - have a bite of a sandwich....

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

Baggy
20th March 2004, 05:13 AM
Lance style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

I've just purchased a '96 V8i Disco.
Never owned a Landrover before, but love it every time I get behind
the wheel, my wife drives it mostly, can't get the style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif off her face.
Read some articles, prior to purchasing it where some 4x4
journalist will advise you to stick to a jap product. Read a lot more
who say a Disco's a very capable offroad vehicle, sure things could
and may go wrong :(but every manufacturer has had their share of
problems). If you have your intended vehicle checked out (pre
inspection report) theirs not much more you can do I guess.
As everyone has said, keep it serviced well and it will serve you well.
As for me, I've had mine for almost two months now, love the
style, interior appointments, visability, value for money... the list goes
on, only drawback has been fuel comsumption, had it gas converted and
I'm so happy (cost $13.00c fill LPG tank /150 klms approx till red low
fuel indicator on (not empty) 4 x fill ups 600 Kms for $52.00c (sweet)
For now I'm enjoying the moment, maybe ask me in 5 years would I
do things diffrently :?: :?: (I hope not)

Plus, how else would you track down a web site with so many
interesting :evil: people with one unique common thread :!: :!: :!:

Cheers!!!!

Moses
20th March 2004, 09:47 PM
I bought my Disco in 2001, brand new. I have almost 100,000Km on the clock now and it has been on and off road regularly. It is my daily worker so I get around a bit. The only drama I had was the radiator began to leak at 90,000 and was replaced with a new style one under warranty and one of the uni joints in the cardan assembly for the front prop shaft got pretty sloppy and the whole prop shaft was replaced under warranty also at the same time as the radiator. Drive it with care off road, service it at hte required intervals and wash all the mud out properly from underneath and it will serve you well. On the mud thing, once you have been in the mud, wash it and let it dry. Then crawl under the car with a torch and find all the nooks and crannies you missed! There are quite few! Don't forget to poke the hose in the big holes in the chassis rails. You'll be amazed how much silt gets into the chassis. Series and Defenders are more prone to chassis corrosion than the Discos but if you wash them out at the end of the day, you won't ever have a problem. I love my Landy!

As others have stated, all manufacturers vehicles have their share of problems. If they didn't there wouldn't be any garages around!style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Moses.

2001 TD5 Discovery.