PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - D3 SE: V6 or TDV6?

Monk3y
1st December 2013, 07:39 PM
Hi Guys,

I fell in love with the D3 whilst living in the UK when they were released and now I'm in a position to be able to be seriously looking at purchasing one. I think I'm leaning towards the SE spec level (I need 7 seats and it has to have leather) but am having trouble deciding between the V6 or the TDV6. Looking at carsales, it seems that the V6 is cheaper than the TDV6. I've spoken to a number of used car salesmen and have received conflicting information - some say steer clear of the petrol engines because they are rubbish, others say stay away from the TDV6 because they are no where near as refined as the petrol V6. I think there opinion may be biased by which one they have in stock and are trying to sell to me ;)

I thought I would put it to the those that have lived with them to let me know the truth - Is the TDV6 worth the extra dollars? Are there any common problems with either engine? Does mileage matter (is there a cutoff limit at which you shouldn't really consider buying 150km, 200km)?

Any info and/or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Monk3y

rocmic
1st December 2013, 08:23 PM
I have a 2008 SE TDV6. i got it as a demo so i did not pay diesel premium. I am very pleased with it as are most of the diesel owners on here.

From what have heard the V8 petrol is a better bet than the V6, more power and drinks less fuel.

other than that the cars are fantastic, I would recommend doing the sums based on how long you expect to own it and compare V6 to TDV6 to V8.
Cheers
Mike

101RRS
1st December 2013, 08:29 PM
I would say the TDV6 - you will pay more but will be easier to sell later.

But it comes down to diesel pros and cons to petrol pros and cons. Whatever suits you best - you have to drive the vehicle.

Garry

bidds
1st December 2013, 08:54 PM
I've driven them both on and off road a bit and after all the negatives about the V6 was very surprised to find it a really, really nice drive: very smooth and effortless. I've found the TDV6 is nice too - but not as nice to drive as the V6.

I remember LR published torque curves back when the D3's were current and they showed the V6 had the most torque down low of all three engines.

Perhaps required range would be a decider?

cheers,

bidds :)

Mattt
1st December 2013, 08:54 PM
I have the V6 petrol - the V8 is the better option of the two, but for my budget I could have had a 2009 V6 or a 2006 V8, I went for the newer (lower mile) car.

The V6 engine has been around in various forms for years - and seems to be more reliable than the TDV6 (it's a pretty simple engine).

It's not the quickest thing in the world, but I don't find it excessively slow either - but I don't enter too many drag races in a 3 tonne 4x4.

When I was looking the TDV6 was a $10k premium over the V6 - for the limited miles I do that wasn't worth it to me.

You'll be happy with any of them in reality - but I'd say to go for SE as a minimum spec level.

AnD3rew
1st December 2013, 09:05 PM
You will get significantly better fuel economy and significantly more range per tank with the TDV6 you will need to do the sums to figure out if that's worth it financially for the difference in purchase price. But if you are doing any long distance touring the range is much more flexible with the diesel.

As someone else said, fuel economy is actually better with the v8 than the v6 so don't rule it out if you see one for the right price for the right km's.

SE or HSE, don't go S unless you don't plan to go offroad. You lose the best offroad bits of the Disco if you go S.

WhiteD3
2nd December 2013, 05:20 AM
I had a D3 V6 for 4.5 years and found it to be a great car. Fuel consumption can be terrible if you have a heavy foot. Best I could get around town was 15 and I know others couldn't get below 18. 10 on the highway. This translates into very poor range off road; say 300 kms.

Other than that they are identical to the TDV6 and a hell of a lot cheaper to buy.

Marmoset
2nd December 2013, 10:57 AM
As a comparison to the V6 my V8 is averaging 16l/100Km with mostly town driving and around 12l/100Km on a long run. Getting nearly 600Kms out of a tank on the long trips and usually 450Kms around town. The payback on a diesel would take me a long time to recover (about 10 years at my usual yearly distance) so it's only the range that's an issue.

WhiteD3
2nd December 2013, 12:09 PM
The payback on a diesel would take me a long time to recover (about 10 years at my usual yearly distance) so it's only the range that's an issue.

When I bought the D3 in 2007 there was a 16k price diff to the TDV6. I think I worked out the payback would have been > 10 years.

grumpa
2nd December 2013, 01:46 PM
I'v had my D3 S V6 Petrol for more than 4 years. Very smooth gear changes, quiet, great acceleration when needed and happy with fuel economy. Mostly used on highway / around town but also used for towing etc on a cattle farm. I wanted a TDV6 but not able to justify cost - 12k more than petrol. One thing to consider with the TDV6 is the need to replace timing belt at 150,000; not cheap!

coolum
2nd December 2013, 05:45 PM
Sure you may look at it purely at the pump. Work out the price and MPG for Diesel against Petrol for TDV6 V6 and V8. then work out what it will cost over and above the diesel.

When buying second hand - there are other items which I felt made the V8 a better proposition and I agree its a different a different set of rules for 'new car' buy.

When buying second hand (the more mile onboard the more significant) is the diesel has extra maintenance Costs .. diesel Filters etc but also Timing Belt (V8 has a chain) you have turbos which wear, higher pressure compression (I believe) on the diesel, which may lead to head maintenance, you have the ever present High pressure Diesel Pump and diesel injection also Fairly significant if any of these items need repair and will quickly soak up any 'at the pump' savings of diesel over petrol...

OK some of these items are on both but for all my Forum Searching the V8 seems to (to date) be bullet proof, whilst the others have many reported issues.

Just something to consider when comparing these two options

hope it helps

Monk3y
2nd December 2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks for all the swift responses folks :D

It seems that all three options have their pro's and con's, and it'll come down to me test driving a few and trying to work out which one feels better (and is affordable). I don't think fuel economy is going to be a major deciding factor in my choice (I've currently got an XR8 - so know only too well the pain that is inflicted whenever a servo appears on the horizon), it'll come down to driveability and reliability.

Cheers.

Monk3y
8th January 2014, 08:37 PM
Well I finally got the money together and did some test driving.

I'm pleased to announce that I've just signed the paperwork to purchase a 2006 TDV6 SE in Silver with black interior. It is completely stock, but I'm hoping to put a bullbar and driving lights on and also add a UHF CB radio at some stage.

I'm hoping to pick it up on Friday and can't wait to spend some time both on and off the black stuff.

Cheers,

Monk3y

Ean Austral
8th January 2014, 09:11 PM
Congrats, you won't be disappointed , and the best colour scheme too.

Might be slightly bias tho.

Enjoy the permagrin

Cheers Ean

sheerluck
8th January 2014, 09:18 PM
Enjoy. Funnily enough, mine is silver with a black interior too. :D