PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Series Transfer Case

Gonadman
11th March 2004, 01:22 AM
Has anyone installed a high speed transfer case kit on their series Landie?

If anyone has, i have heard this is the best option for lower revs at higher speeds on the highway - anybody agree?

Also is it fairly easy to buy the kit and install the parts yourself,(for a fairly good mechanically minded person) or are their a lot of special tools/techniques required???

sandie
11th March 2004, 07:31 AM
G'day
I've put a HRTC in Sandie my 1973 SIII based on research regarding lower engine revs and higher top speeds(!), particularly important as I've got a Holden 3.3 which is fairly badly mis-matched to the standard gearbox/transfer case. They don't like long periods of high revs and you'll get sustained high engine revs "cruising" your landie. Well, 80k's plus anyway!

I bought the transfer case kit and was going to fit it up myself. I've done most of the re-build on Sandie myself and have little fear in brakes, engines, clutch etc, but the HRTC was too hard. You'll need good gearbox experience, plus the ability to move a shaft concentrically about 3mm to accomodate the new high range gear. Beyond my equipement (and ticker) levels.

Took it Land Vehicle Spares at Silverdale outside Sydney and George and Brian did a great job at a very reasonable price. I say great as they did lots of little extra stuff and provided plenty of advice on other issues. I still haven't driven Sandie but the body is just about back on, and the big day is almost in sight!

Good luck with it

Richard

Phoenix
11th March 2004, 09:37 AM
I've got an overdrive to fit to grover (I haven't done ot yet :wink: ), but that gets me an increase of about 27% more speed at the same RPM.

From memory the HSTC soed about the same, but is stronger. By all accounts the lowwere gears aren't changed much, but the higher ones are.

An overdrive at least retains the original gears, and is really easy to install. But if you have the cash a HSTC is a good invenstment.

Gonadman
11th March 2004, 11:10 AM
I'm thinking maybe i should take it to someone in Brisbane.
Anyone know a good crew that can do it, and has a good rep :?:
Only just moved to Brissy so the only people i know that handle a lot of british cars are some guys out at Chermside. :?

Phoenix
11th March 2004, 11:20 AM
British off road are good, http://www.britishoffroad.com/, but I don't know if they are in your area.

Pierre
11th March 2004, 08:57 PM
Supertruck got a HSTC in Aug '00. We sourced it from 4WD in Melbourne (03 98900500 - Steve). Gearset, rebuilt tfr case with rebore intermediate shaft positions, cost about $800. On top of that, rebuilt the rest of the tfr case (dog clutch, shims, seals and bearings). One day job.

Outcome? 186 runs at about 2900 about 100km/hr. 1st a bit steep, but bearable. Low range - no noticeable change.

In your area, is there a LR wrecker n Gympie? I seem to remember he dealt with these beasties, too.

Else, perhaps you could change the diff centres for 3.54's. Too much information?

Cheers

Pierre

sandie
12th March 2004, 09:19 AM
I got mine from those guys as well. Funny story about it. See Yarns and Tales

Gonadman
12th March 2004, 11:29 AM
Yeah i was thinking about doing the diffs instead of the Transfer case, but i have heard that it drops the revs on all gears instead of just the high speed gears.

Has anyone ever considered doing both transfer and diffs???? This would probably be going too far but would be interesting to see what it does. :?

Mick-Kelly
12th March 2004, 01:38 PM
I can recommend a mob called Techno British at Moorooka. They used to do a lot of stuff on my old girl and they really know their way around series landys. They all drive them aswell. Also theres a landy parts place at Archerfield called FWD, not to be confused with the Southern mob. These guys sell some rare stuff at good prices.
cheers
Mick

sandie
31st May 2004, 08:58 AM
Hi, I picked up sandie on Friday and now have first hand experience with the High speed transfer case. Land Vehicle Spares did a blue slip for me and I drove back from Silverdale outside Sydney to the RTA at Castle Hill. This involves about 20km on winding country roads before you get on the freeway from Penrith east towards Sydney.

Had no problems holding an indicated 105kms on the freeway and although I don't have a tacho yet I've driven holden 3.3s before and it didn't seem to be screaming at high revs. In fact, it sounded like there was still plenty there.

City driving was a bit more challenging. First is ultra-low as standard, and you barely get moving before it wants second. 2nd's a bit longer but you're in 3rd by about 30kmh. Problem is you can't easilly get down from 4th to 3rd above about 35kmh so you spend a lot of time trying to double clutch and/or keep a reasonable speed through round-abouts etc as you can't get down into 3rd. Means you use purely brakes to slow down as well because you can't easilly get to 3rd to use engine/gearbox braking. This latter point is probably not a HSTC issue but standard landie gearbox (?)

Over Friday and the weekend did about 250k's, and Sandie pulls well in 3rd and 4th and with more familiarity will be easier to drive. Overall, my impressions are the HSTC is worthwhile as the vehicle is easier to drive than some other series I've recently driven with standard transfer cases.

Cheers
Richard

Hellspawn
31st May 2004, 07:39 PM
Richard
Be interested to hear what long highway hills are like with the transfer mod. since there is a huge drop from 4th to 3rd.
Beauty of an overdrive, 5th gear in essence. Haven't got a tacho but mine easily sits on 120km/hr in overdrive and the motor's only bubbling along abeit none of it's not standard.
Though I suppose there is also the option of adaption to nissan patrol five speed if not a purist. Bit of fiddle here, bend something there but heard it's okay too to fit.
Also be interested how the holden 202 goes, heard thirsty but then most holdens are though more of in terms of gearbox life.
Jay

Land-lord
11th December 2006, 11:10 PM
Soem good pointers in this thread,...

Can anyone provide soem good contacts I can use to convert my transfer case to HSTC?

I am in Melbourne, Western side of town..