PDA

View Full Version : Disco 1 Manual Gear Change Problem

one_iota
14th March 2004, 06:44 PM
Took the slow muddy and corrugated roads home today after a weekend in the country. Lots of low range with and without CDL engaged. I should add that the CDL was only used sparingly so transmission wind up is not likely.

On joining the black stuff the gear change was very stiff and for a while in high I could only select 2nd and 3rd. 4th and 5th could not be engaged. The gear lever would not move throught the usual gates. After a short while the change freed up so that 4th was available and 5th could be selected but only with a vague sensation when pressure was applied to the right.

When I pull the lever to the right when stationary and without the engine running there is a resistance.

I have read that there are springs attached to the gear lever and that these can come adrift.

Any ideas?

Timmo
16th March 2004, 11:48 AM
That would be the first thing to look at - the springs......Not sure where to after that though. Let us know what you find...

one_iota
16th March 2004, 06:31 PM
Crawled under last night. Nothing to be seen there.

Looks like an approach from the top. Haynes is silent on the subject except for directions on removing the console as part of a gearbox removal.

Weekend after next job me thinks due to the Wollondilly get together this weekend.

I'll take notes and photos.

Rovernaut
16th March 2004, 07:08 PM
I had a problem last year. Take the centre consul out, remove levers, un- rivet the retainer, remove the rubber panel, you will see a aluminium cover, remove the screws, lift off and you will see the 'gear gate springs" The "L " shaped plate usually cracks and twists, it will cause springs to move the lever out of position. Replace this plate about $38.00 genuine, or weld it up.
It takes about 2 hours to do . Hint use a 'right angle ' drill to remove the pop rivets closest to the dash. They are hard to get at, but all in all it's an easy job.

Rovernaut
16th March 2004, 07:26 PM
if it is the problem, the part number is Landrover # FRC 9340
This on the R380 gearbox.
I tried to post a pic of the components,but haven't worked out how to do it.

one_iota
16th March 2004, 07:30 PM
Rovernaut,

Thanks that is great advice style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

I'll still take notes and photos for posterity.

one_iota
3rd April 2004, 02:38 PM
Fixed today and gone are the gear change vaguaries

Much as Rovernaut described although in my case the vertical spring restraining tab had broken off and had wedged itself between the cover and the gearstick so that when moving into fifth the movement was constrained.

Cousin John tig welded it back on to the base plate from whence it came.

I can see why this can happen as the tab is bent up during manufacture ang is fatigued during this process.

Haynes manual helped with the console removal parts of the process.

Removing the rivets near the dash board was done reatively easily even using the drill.

Kicking myself that I forgot to take the camera.

Thanks again Rovernaut style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Rovernaut
3rd April 2004, 02:44 PM
Pleasure mate.
style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif