PDA

View Full Version : LED lights

landrovermick
21st March 2004, 07:52 PM
Hey Vlad was looking at your album, and there is a photo of your lights - where you ask anyone know where to get LED lights,

Jaycar electronic sell kits to make your own led globe replacements - they look like good value, also in an Auto barn catalogue today they had led trailer lights for 104 each. but if you find a truck accessory supermarket you may be able to get em cheaper. They are reallt flash units and have higher outputs than normal globes

mick

VladTepes
21st March 2004, 08:11 PM
104 ? Dollars ? Crikey !

Thanks mate - I'll keep an eye out.

Now where the hell is the nearest Jaycar from here ?......

DionM
23rd March 2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by VladTepes
104 ? Dollars ? Crikey !

Thanks mate - I'll keep an eye out.

Now where the hell is the nearest Jaycar from here ?......

Brisbane Jaycar - there's one at the Gabba, on what becomes Ipswich Road, across from the Ford dealer (Metro Ford I think?). There's another out at Aspley, on the main road (what Gympie Rd turns into as you head north). Just near the Hypermarket.

LandyAndy
23rd March 2004, 09:22 PM
Hi
Try a good auto electrician they usually add a lot less markup on non standard items than Supacrud etc do.
Narva have quite a good range.
Cheers
Andrew

drivesafe
2nd May 2004, 02:50 AM
Bit late putting my two bob bit in, but a warning about some LED replacements.
LED auto lights have a very shallow viewing angle eg. if the light is fitted to the back of the vehicle, anything travelling beside you and have a viewing angle of more than 45 degrees will find it had to make out the light. Also if the sun light is falling on the LEDs the viewing angle is less again.

bigbugga
2nd May 2004, 08:47 AM
Its a good point Drivesafe.

A lot of the road trains and mine 4wd's up here have the LED units but only as an extra set of lights not a replacement.

Sitting behind a dust covered road train the LED's stand out very well when the standard one's.

landrovermick
2nd May 2004, 10:48 AM
Thats a pity, i guess thats why vehicles that have em as standard have clear lens units with huge reflective chrome inserts .

I wonder if in a break light situation witht he kit replacement led lights it would be better to use white leds as there is already a red lense .

mick

drivesafe
2nd May 2004, 04:15 PM
You could try getting a few ulrta bright LEDs from your local electronics store. You will need suitable resistor to go with the LEDs to allow them to work in a 12 volt system.
Try red or white LEDs for with red lens or yellow or white for orange or yellow lenses and experiment.
LEDs have some good advantages over ordinary lights.
They last much longer, they use much less power and don't produce any heat.
Regards

VladTepes
22nd September 2004, 04:08 PM
Was checking the Narva website: http://www.narva.com.au

(or http://www.narva.co.nz for our kiwi cousins)

They have some nice LED lights but the ones I like are the model 44 - they are round and would fit nicely with a '21st Century' Land Rover.
You see them on custom trays on some of the off-road custom built rigs.

Problem: As I read on these seem to be the only Narva LED lights that are not ADR approved. Bugger :!:

-Macca-
25th September 2004, 02:45 PM
My dash guages have all lost their lights, so I was looking at some LED's to replace them. My old man donated me a 1 watt superbright white LED (Luxeon Star - LXHL-MW1C).

This LED comes mounted on a small aluminium plate. After some diagnostic work (Google!) I found that to run this LED off 12 volts, I'll need a 4 watt resistor (8O) and the little aluminium plate is actually a heatsink, which will sit at about 22deg when the LED is on! 8O

Sounded a little hot for my liking to be behind the dash (especially if I've got 6 of em behind there), so I'm looking for another use for it.

Just thought I'd mention it, as it's something else to keep an eye out for when changing to LED lights.

Macca

drivesafe
25th September 2004, 05:05 PM
Hi -macca-, just a word of caution, those 1 watt super bright LEDs come with a “Class 2 Eye Warning”, there are some special warnings when using them so make sure you don’t get any direct eye contact.
Also but not as important, make sure you have the correct resistance in the 4 watt rated resistor because you will shorten the operating life of the led if the resistor is wrong, and one more point, the resistor will also get fairly warm.
Regards

Michael2
13th October 2004, 10:07 PM
Just found this LED supplier on ebay
http://cgi6.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...&sort=3&rows=50 (http://cgi6.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=theledshoponline&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50)

they're in QLD, selling two pack brake/tail lights (30 LED) for under $30.

VladTepes
14th October 2004, 03:34 PM
But are they ADR approved ? Even some of the Narva ones (the cool, round ones that would suit a Landy for example) are not road legal. 8O :cry:

p38arover
15th October 2004, 10:31 PM
I'm interested in using some of the LED globe replacements in my Kaymar rear step bar. The viewing angle wouldn't be a problem, the lamps are set back in anyway.

What interests me is whether they'd stop the trailer light flashing on the instrument panel. The lights in the P38A are all controlled by the BECM (Body Electronics Control Module) - they aren't switched by the light switch and relays but by semiconductors in the BECM. I'm worried that if I tow a trailer with the extra load from the step bar incandescent globes, it may overload the semiconductors in the BECM with the consequential $$$$ wallet overload.

Removing the incandescent from the step bar is not an option as all lights, where fitted, must work. (I suppose an alternative is to remove the lights completely and fit blanking plates in the bar. They are only needed if there is a wheel carrier fitted.)

Has anyone tried these in a step bar (for example) and, if so, did it stop the trailer light on the dash flashing?

Ron

landrovermick
16th October 2004, 07:13 PM
I recon that would be the go , the lesser the current draw the better. Im still considering making up the jaycar ones to replace the rear tail lights in my disco.

Drivesafe might know hes a bit of an electrikery wiz !

Mick

p38arover
18th October 2004, 09:46 PM
Today I bought 2 ready made LED replacement lamps for my step bar flashers. $14 each from Jaycar.

I didn't think it was worthwhile to buy the PCBs and make then up myself - not for a trial. If I was doing a few of them it would be. (I'm an electronics tech).

I'll try them tomorrow and advise.

Ron

p38arover
20th October 2004, 06:38 AM
The LED replacement lamps were unsuitable for the Kaymar rear bar. The lamps in the bar have the globes facing sideways. This would have put the light output from the LED units pointing to the side. Not a lot of use.

Secondly, the trailer symbol on the dash still flashes so the current draw must be quite high (I forgot to measure it before returning the lamps).

I was hoping for a series-parallel wiring configuration of the individual LEDs to limit the current but they must all be in parallel.

I tried the lamp in the standard flasher position but the light output wasn't as good as the incandescent globes.

Ron

landrovermick
22nd October 2004, 11:33 PM
I bought these same globes, i found that they didnt hardly work at all, actually once in, and the brake was put on the lights actually dimmed....note on the back of the packet reads Installation of anode and negative pole must be correct.....WTF does this mean - only one way they can go into a 93 disco - because of the high pin low pin on the side ...anyone ?

Mick

p38arover
23rd October 2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by landrovermick
I bought these same globes, i found that they didnt hardly work at all, actually once in, and the brake was put on the lights actually dimmed....note on the back of the packet reads Installation of anode and negative pole must be correct.....WTF does this mean - only one way they can go into a 93 disco - because of the high pin low pin on the side ...anyone ?

Mick

It effectively means that they can't be used on positive earth cars.

LEDs are polarity conscious. The centre pin(s) is/are positive and the shell is negative. If used on a positive earth car, the centre pin would be negative so they wouldn't work. As LEDs are diodes, they wouldn't conduct, they just wouldn't work. They wouldn't burn out.

For the type of globe you are describing, the offset pins ensure that the tail light is illuminated by the tail light wiring and the stop light by the stop light wiring.

Ron

stig0000
4th May 2011, 10:26 PM
has anyone tryed H4 led lights,,, around them 120 led globs,

scott oz
5th May 2011, 08:23 AM
Hi all, (2001 110TD5)

I’ve replaced all my lights except head lights with LED’s. This includes side lights, blinkers, brake, park, dash, interior and number plate light. All off eBay much, much cheaper.

With the blinkers you need to use an alternative flasher can. Doing this means you don’t get the sound and if you use the Navara one you don’t get the trailer light on the dash. You can in the UK get a suitable flasher can which retains the trailer light function.

With the little side blinkers I used an SMD LED as it directed the light out whereas the bulb type directed the light forward which made it next to useless as a side blinker.

My view was using resisters was more fiddley to do and self-defeating as you increased the current draw. I found that if I left one of the blinkers “standard” the resistance was enough to allow the standard flasher can to function as normal.

It is important to recognize (as pointed out in other posts) that LED’s (light) are what I call directional. The most difficult one to replace is the number plate light.

I purchased a whole new LED fitting but also had to make up a bracket to angle it at the number plate. Other wise it shone straight past the number plate. LED bulbs in the standard fitting shone straight out the side.

I’d be interested in doing headlights if I could find some reasonably priced. Last time I looked it was something like $A700. So at this time I’m sticking to the HID’s.

Just my thoughts/experience.

Oh cost wise it’s in my view not worth it. However it is easily done and gives job satisfaction.