PDA

View Full Version : Snatch Recovery goes wrong - Ouch

HarryO
18th December 2013, 07:14 PM
My Mama always said if you do not want to listen then you must feel ... but nobody said it would hurt this much :( !!

Old video but it shows exactly how not to do it.

pānico na trilha de tramandaķ 08/12/2012 - YouTube

n plus one
18th December 2013, 09:27 PM
Winner!

RVR110
18th December 2013, 09:36 PM
Ouch! That's even worse than this:
4x4 Recovery Goes Seriously Wrong - YouTube

BigJon
19th December 2013, 07:10 AM
What is the massive hurry in the first video? It doesn't look like the tide is ever going to come in, there are no waves, etc.

dadsDisco1
8th January 2014, 03:53 PM
Ouch! That's even worse than this:
4x4 Recovery Goes Seriously Wrong - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEYaTscCDIg)
Hehehe, I've watched many all 4 adventure episodes and never saw that. Me personally would most likely crawl into the fetal position and cry for a bit.

goingbush
8th January 2014, 04:17 PM
Anybody that drives into salt water, near salt water or where salt water will be in the next few hours is a DICK HEAD

no sympathy for these morons,

I do have pity for an unsuspecting buyer of a used 4x4 that has been driven on a beach

101RRS
8th January 2014, 04:21 PM
Anybody that drives into salt water, near salt water or where salt water will be in the next few hours is a DICK HEAD

So you are calling just about everyone on here a DICK HEAD. Quite a silly statement really.

I have driven as most people have on beaches - if you haven't you are missing a great part of 4wding. Not had a rusted 4wd either.

Garry

Fred Nerk
8th January 2014, 05:00 PM
I agree. It is pretty harsh to insult everyone who drives on the beach. The beach is, after all, a road in most states.

I think your opinion puts you "out there".

VladTepes
8th January 2014, 05:41 PM
Both of those videos are better than seeing a shackle go through somebodies head, or snapped wire rope taking it off....

Hymie
9th January 2014, 07:59 PM
A Dampener over the rope would have helped:angel:
Or they could have been at least 1 rope length away from the Recovery as recovery safety rules suggest.

Hymie
9th January 2014, 08:03 PM
Idiots!
They should have been using a recovery dampener. That would have prevented that.:angel:
OR...they could have been standing outside the 1 rope length arc as Recovery Safety rules suggest.

FeatherWeightDriver
10th January 2014, 11:22 AM
Both of those videos are better than seeing a shackle go through somebodies head, or snapped wire rope taking it off....

While I don't disagree that being near a recovery unless you absolutely have to is bad, Mythbusters reckon it isn't possible to be cut in half by a wire / rope that breaks:

Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 62: Killer Cable Snaps, Pottery Record (http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/10/episode_62_killer_cable_snaps.html)

(sorry can't find a video link, but it is inspiring footage)

Then again, thier test left me in do doubt that getting hit by a broken wire is DEFINITELY going to leave a mark :eek:

goingbush
10th January 2014, 11:55 AM
So you are calling just about everyone on here a DICK HEAD. Quite a silly statement really.

I have driven as most people have on beaches - if you haven't you are missing a great part of 4wding. Not had a rusted 4wd either.

Garry

OK I'll rephrase, If you drive through Saltwater or drive where you are likely to get stuck and saltwater damages your car you are a DICKHEAD, no need to drive on a beach unless it is a gazetted road. even if you are a fisherman .

no need to feel offended , Ive been a dickhead on occasions too, heck if the greenies had their way I'd probably be locked up with the rest of y'all

goingbush
10th January 2014, 11:55 AM
more idiots

Why 4x4 Recovery is dangerous. - YouTube

FeatherWeightDriver
10th January 2014, 12:20 PM
^^^ Great vid, thanks for sharing.

So much wrong with all of those "recoveries" :mad:

VladTepes
13th January 2014, 12:26 PM
Well perhaps not literally cut in half but killed, easy.

101RRS
13th January 2014, 01:37 PM
I am thinking about carrying some small sea drogues in my recovery kit and as well as the usual dampers on winch cables and snatch straps, tying a sea drogue to any shackles or hooks used so that if they detach their speed will be either reduced or stopped by the drogue.

A bit hard to safely test if it would work though and not much good if you have a Patrol bull bar flying through the air.

Garry

Didge
13th January 2014, 06:36 PM
First one is the result of some inbreeding and the second is a setup for the camera - worked cos it got people talking and more sponsorship exposure as a result
:)

FeatherWeightDriver
13th January 2014, 06:50 PM
Well perhaps not literally cut in half but killed, easy.

Very easily. And if not that certainly left with a long term "reminder"

I am thinking about carrying some small sea drogues in my recovery kit and as well as the usual dampers on winch cables and snatch straps, tying a sea drogue to any shackles or hooks used so that if they detach their speed will be either reduced or stopped by the drogue.

A bit hard to safely test if it would work though and not much good if you have a Patrol bull bar flying through the air.

Garry

Interesting theory, but tough to implement in practice.

I saw a snatch strap a while ago with a backup attachment point. Theory was that if the main point, or whatever your main point was attached to, blew up then it would fall back to the backup.

Trouble being whatever force is left after blowing up the first point then needs to be taken up (likely as a shock load) on the backup and attachment point.

Given the option I'd much rather a set of equalised loading points rather than one single point and a backup.

Similar problem with the drogue - it will be tough to work out what will fail, and even then how it will fail. Then again, having a drogue will at worst be the same as not having one, but at best be a saviour...

C00P
19th January 2014, 11:54 AM
Jeff at Mt Dare has a collection of bull bars in his junk pile (some are very expensive looking units) - most of them torn off the fronts of 4WD's attempting snatch recoveries.