PDA

View Full Version : TDV6 chirp on shut down

AnD3rew
20th December 2013, 06:34 PM
Hi there just about to head off on a trip with camper. I just noticed that when I turn the car off there is a quite loud chirp as the engine stops. Don't know how long it's been doing that as you can't really hear it when you are in the car unless you are listening for it but this time I was outside the car when I turned it off.

Anyone any guess as to what it might be and should I be worried?

90 Rangie
20th December 2013, 08:24 PM
Could just be your belt slipping on the alternator esp if it has been working hard charging batteries for camper or fridge.
Have a listen with bonnet up near alternator when you switch it off.
If it is this and belt is OK then no problem should be OK

AnD3rew
20th December 2013, 08:29 PM
Could just be your belt slipping on the alternator esp if it has been working hard charging batteries for camper or fridge.
Have a listen with bonnet up near alternator when you switch it off.
If it is this and belt is OK then no problem should be OK

Thanks for that. As far as I can see belt looks ok and yes it has been working hard charging dual batteries and camper battery for two fridges.

You make me feel much better, thank you.

justinc
20th December 2013, 08:29 PM
Andrew, take the top shroud off and inspect the belt alignment where the tensioner is, I would suspect the serpentine belt tensioner for problems, check it before you go away as the results of its failure are not pleasant:(

JC

Glynhouse
20th December 2013, 08:35 PM
I started a thread on this a couple of months ago, mine is still doing it.

Belt looked original so we replaced that but it made no difference, both dealer and Hypertune have no idea.
Vehicle has 130K on it over 8000 since it started to chirp really has not changed at all.

DD

LeighW
23rd December 2013, 04:41 PM
Just a suggestion - not a tested or tried solution.

Check the A/C pump clutch as the D3 2.7 will kick back on shut down (the engine has a slight tendency to run backwards a fraction of a turn on power off).

My own AC is never turned off and as the vehicle has now done about 160 000 km I suspect the clutch has become worn and as it is always engaged the clutch might be catching on the reverse.

HTH

Graeme
23rd December 2013, 05:41 PM
I understand that there is no clutch on the 2.7's a/c compressor, rather it uses a variable displacement pump that has zero displacement when not "on".

AnD3rew
24th December 2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks all. I checked what I could see of the belt etc and couldn't see any obvious signs of wear or misalignment and so headed off. Done three solid days of driving now, towing a heavy camper and no problems and I haven't heard the chirp again since the end of the first days run so hopefully nothing major. Fingers crossed.