PDA

View Full Version : Defender Headlights

VladTepes
7th April 2004, 02:29 PM
I have two different brands of headlight in my Defender - I could go check what they are but it's a long walk and I'm lazy - and was wondering the best way to go about getting better/more light from them (short of going Xenon discharge - I'm not rich!)

Would I be better replacing them with other units (which ones?) or getting different bulbs for them ?

Any details helpful. Ta.

Phoenix
7th April 2004, 03:31 PM
Better bulbs would be the cheapest option if it isn't a sealed unit like mine.

aloa9061
7th April 2004, 04:49 PM
I put the narva blue globes in mine and they at least doubled the range of the lights. they made a huge difference. easy to put in just need screw driver. (long screws get an electric one)

i think you may have to remoove the black light casing to get access can't remember
cheers
Andy

Defender200Tdi
7th April 2004, 04:52 PM
Better halogen globes are apparently the way to go. Something like those Philips "30% brighter" globes that are still rated at the same wattage. I have some, but haven't got around to putting them in yet.

The other thing that's supposed to provide the biggest improvement is to run heavier power cables and earth direct from the battery via a replay to the headlights. As we all know, Defender electrics are pretty poor, especially the earths, and this, I'm told, is one area that the effort of running heavier cables is particularly beneficial. I've bought the gear to do this very thing, just need to get the time to do it. :roll:

Paul style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Gaz69
7th April 2004, 05:25 PM
What i have done with wiring to headlights/ spotlights in the past is to come straight from the alternator output 12V output terminal to a relay and on to the lights. The original wiring to the globes can be used to switch the relay. Use two relays for a H4 globe, Low/high beam. This method gives a higher voltage at the globe and less current.Globes are brighter and last longer especially on rough corragated dirt roads. Myself being slack :oops: i havent' carried it out on my defender yet. Still haven't put those spotties on yet either!!!!
Cheers,Gaz

lewy110
7th April 2004, 05:29 PM
I fitted a piranha wiring loom which has much larger wire and better relays and fuses than the standard loom. I melted the headlight plugs with the standard loom after fitting 100w globes.

I also run my driving lights power directly off the alternator and use 8mm wire so I get as much juice to the light as possible.