PDA

View Full Version : S11a Hub Seal's

crawfy
29th April 2004, 03:54 PM
Hmmm I know you guy's a gonna give the old sayin !!!!!!!
It's a Land Rover they allway's leak!!!!!!!!
But the problem I have at the moment is the old girl has sprung a leak again a the rear Hub!!!! I have replaced the Felt seal 3 times in the last 6 mths!!! Now I have oil leaking out somewhere between the Hub wheel etc!!
I'm now starting to wonder ( As when I started the Re-build ) the previous owner had Silicone everywhere on the rear Hub's!!!!!!!!
Should I just replace the whole rear hub's or what?? :x

Phoenix
29th April 2004, 04:16 PM
Ok, so where exactly is the oil leaking from?

Sounds like you need a better gasket. Perhaps one of the gasket in a tube kind of stuff. Apparently the stuff for exhaust gaskets is great :wink:

crawfy
29th April 2004, 04:22 PM
Hmm me think's I know where you are coming from!!! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
I have only noticed it getting worse after along run!!!!
I have a tube of the stuff in the back of the old girl so I might give it a squirt and see what happen's!! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

LandyAndy
29th April 2004, 08:06 PM
Hi Crawfy
The no1 cause of this type of leak is a blocked or faulty axle breather,its common in all breeds of 4WD
Cheers
Andrew

UncleHo
29th April 2004, 09:07 PM
Hi Crawfy. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
I agree with LandyAndy on that one, clean around the breather hole BEFORE removing the unscrewing the breather clean in petrol until you can hear the ball bearing inside rattling and then replace, if the oil is leaking down the brake backing plate behind the brake shoes,then the axle oil seal is the culprit, replace the oil seal by removing the hub check the seal running ring for wear, they are replaceable, press fitting, if leaking from the drive flange joint there is a paper gasket between it and the hub , if no gasket make one out of a piece of A4 printer paper smeared with W/B grease works a treat, if the drive flange is badly worn in the splines they will leak over time, wear can be checked by seeing how much movement is in it when the flange is unbolted
cheers Uncle Ho style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Dave-O
30th April 2004, 11:51 AM
Hi Crawfy,

My 2a had a similar sounding type of leak. Seal replaced x times by previous owner. Found to be a knackered bearing in the hub - replaced bearing, seals and the seal collar on the shaft - Presto!

Next Job - another oil leak! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

crawfy
30th April 2004, 04:32 PM
Cheer's guy's!!!- style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
Landy Andy is on the money, as I actually had time to look at it today and it appear's that the axle seal is the culprit.
Will attempt a repair Friday week.
Thankyou for all your advice guy's style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif