PDA

View Full Version : Outback Truckers - Better than Ice Road Truckers!

spudboy
10th January 2014, 11:02 AM
Anybody else watched Outback Truckers? I reckon it's better than Ice Road Truckers myself! Never heard of it before (we generally only watch ABC, as you do when you get old like us....).

There is a 60yo bloke on there who hauls a road train from Perth up to the top of WA through roads that would stop a Land Rover. He is a legend!

These are the only 3 episodes I've seen, but there's probably more out there:

Outback Truckers S01E02 - YouTube

Outback Truckers S01E03 - YouTube

Outback Truckers S01E04 - YouTube

101RRS
10th January 2014, 11:10 AM
This is about the third rerun on TV at the moment. Has been discussed a few times previously. The classic is the woman truckie blaming a car for stopping at a railway crossing and she overtaking at the crossing against the red flashing lights.

mrapocalypse
10th January 2014, 11:15 AM
Wait till series 2 comes out. I worked on it and we went hard….

Outback Truckers Series 2 (http://palatineproductions.com.au/news/outback-truckers-series-2/)

ramblingboy42
10th January 2014, 11:23 AM
I look forward to that.

Ean Austral
10th January 2014, 12:03 PM
The friend of mine who I went with they wanted to go with 1 of his trucks that does most of the communities between my Isa , Normanton and Wepia. His trucks got stuck for 4 days in the end of November, shame they weren't filming that.

Cheers Ean.

spudboy
10th January 2014, 12:04 PM
This is about the third rerun on TV at the moment. Has been discussed a few times previously. ...

Well, all I can say is the AULRO search function is junk then! I searched for "Outback Truckers" and got a gazillion returns, but none on this topic, and then I searched again just on "Truckers". Same.

Sorry for the dud post :D

Hay Ewe
10th January 2014, 12:13 PM
This is about the third rerun on TV at the moment. Has been discussed a few times previously. The classic is the woman truckie blaming a car for stopping at a railway crossing and she overtaking at the crossing against the red flashing lights.

Problem was the car stopped for the lights but the truck could not stop in the distance availble, so rather than crush the car, she went round it, blaming the car driver. In my opinion she was following too close to the and so couldn't stop in time.

Another thing I see is cars passing trucks and then pulling in front of them only to have to stop at a junction or round about. Suddenly the car has reduced the braking distance for the truck but it would be the trucks fault.

Was a great series, we enjoyed it, yeah, the old fella going up to Kalumbaroo I think it was, got a bit for him and his truck, he got to a hill and had to drop trailers and do one at a time, and he had is old dog as well.

Hay Ewe

101RRS
10th January 2014, 12:56 PM
Yep typical truckie - crying that cars do not understand their stopping distances yet truckies drive too close to the vehicle in front. It seems to me truckies also don't understand their own stopping distances.

All vehicles, irrespective of vehicle type should be abloe to meet the same standards for stopping at various speeds so a 80t truck should be able to stop within the same standard as a lightweight car. If a vehicle cannot meet these predetermined standards then they are off the road.

Garry

Brentttt
10th January 2014, 01:19 PM
Yep typical truckie - crying that cars do not understand their stopping distances yet truckies drive too close to the vehicle in front. It seems to me truckies also don't understand their own stopping distances.

All vehicles, irrespective of vehicle type should be abloe to meet the same standards for stopping at various speeds so a 80t truck should be able to stop within the same standard as a lightweight car. If a vehicle cannot meet these predetermined standards then they are off the road.

Garry

So what you are saying is that if a series 1 Landy can't stop within the same standards as a Range Rover Sport then it should be put off the road?

IMO drivers need more training/education. They should make it harder to get a license.

UncleHo
10th January 2014, 01:28 PM
It all comes down to mass and enertia :) and the theory of relativity ;)

BMKal
10th January 2014, 01:46 PM

Garry

Obviously you've never driven an 80 tonne truck, or you'd know that this is simply dreaming.

The number of prangs that are caused by idiots in cars cutting in front of trucks which are already slowing down / braking for traffic lights etc will never cease to amaze me.

However, in the case referred to in this post (the truck passing the car which stopped at the rail level crossing) - the car driver was in the right and the truck driver was totally wrong. I watched that show and could not believe what happened there. The truck was travelling much too fast, and should have easily been able to stop for the flashing lights at the level crossing, regardless of whether there was a car in front of it or not. Had that event been seen by a copper, the truckie would have had the book thrown at her, and rightly so.

That particular "truckie" whinges about anything and everything (did you also see her carrying on like a pork chop about the oversize load she had to overtake a number of times - through her own stupidity). The first thing that she (and her partner) should do is get rid of that yapping little mungrel dog that they cart around with them in the cab. If I had a dog have a go at me in the cab of my truck like that thing did in one of the shows, it would have quickly disappeared out the bloody window - and the whinging female "truckie" could have followed it for all I care. She is the type who gets the average truckie a bad name. ;)

MR LR
10th January 2014, 03:12 PM

Garry
LOL, you ever driven a truck bigger than a 101 Garry?

Ancient Mariner
10th January 2014, 03:19 PM

Garry
If you really think that You probably could`nt drive ducks to water in a desert

AM

101RRS
10th January 2014, 03:24 PM
So what you are saying is that if a series 1 Landy can't stop within the same standards as a Range Rover Sport then it should be put off the road?

No - what I am saying is that a standard should be determined that is considered the minimum for all vehicles to safely stop and apply that. Clearly a modern light vehicle will stop the quickest and and older and maybe heavy vehicle will be the slowest but as long as both meet the safety standard they pass.

101RRS
10th January 2014, 03:30 PM
The number of prangs that are caused by idiots in cars cutting in front of trucks which are already slowing down / braking for traffic lights etc will never cease to amaze me.

And the number of trucks running into the back of other trucks amazes me - likewise the number of trucks sitting up my clacker when I am doing 110kph and would never have a chance of stopping with running over the top of me amazes me. Clearly truck drivers do not understand the limitations of their vehicles.

If a vehicle no matter what it is cannot stop within what is considered a safe distance then they should not be on the road.

Certainly in NSW and the ACT cars have to meet certain braking standards why do larger vehicles not have to meet the same standards.You are advocating that trucks should not have to have the ability to stop within a safe distance just because they are big.

101RRS
10th January 2014, 03:33 PM
LOL, you ever driven a truck bigger than a 101 Garry?

Yes - but what is the relevance of the question - you also advocate there should be no braking standards for large vehicles.

Fatso
10th January 2014, 03:36 PM

The amount of truckies in the Pilbara who tried to race iron ore trains at the rail crossings was frightening :eek: , flashing lights which gave plenty of warning for braking of their trucks was nothing but a hindrance to these blokes who thought nothing of racing a 25/30 thousand tonne train so as not to stop for the train , sometimes missing by a knats hair and giving the driver a heart attack :o . IMHO Trucks are becoming a national menace on our roads .

FeatherWeightDriver
10th January 2014, 03:58 PM
No matter which way you look at it, these guys and gals certainly don't have an easy gig.

Some of the recoveries when the rig and/or trailers get bogged in the mud look "interesting"... :eek:

BMKal
10th January 2014, 04:12 PM
And the number of trucks running into the back of other trucks amazes me - likewise the number of trucks sitting up my clacker when I am doing 110kph and would never have a chance of stopping with running over the top of me amazes me. Clearly truck drivers do not understand the limitations of their vehicles.

If a vehicle no matter what it is cannot stop within what is considered a safe distance then they should not be on the road.

Certainly in NSW and the ACT cars have to meet certain braking standards why do larger vehicles not have to meet the same standards.You are advocating that trucks should not have to have the ability to stop within a safe distance just because they are big.

Not advocating anything of the sort - that's just what you choose to read into it.

Trucks DO have to have brakes that meet a certain standard - but that standard is certainly NOT the same stopping distance as a small car as you suggested in your earlier post. Basic physics will tell you that this is simply not possible.

Like the drivers of all vehicles - truck drivers should maintain a safe distance between themselves and the vehicle in front. If they cannot stop in time and run up the rear of the vehicle in front of them if that vehicle stops - then the truckie was travelling too close and is clearly in the wrong. Problem is - that when the truckie backs off a little to maintain a safe stopping distance - dipsticks in cars jump into the gap. This is why a lot of trucks struggle to stop in time at the lights - they may have left themselves plenty of room to stop, but next time you're out and about, just watch how many idiots will jump into that gap as the truck is approaching stopped traffic / red light etc. and force the truckie to stand on the brakes - hard. I see it every day on the roads.

Not saying by any means that they're all perfect - there's plenty of idiots out there. But on average, I'll trust my personal safety on the road to the average truckie before the average city car driver any day of the week. At least when I'm close to a truck, I can usually predict what he's going to do with a fair degree of accuracy. ;) You sure can't say that about a huge number of the muppets behind the wheel of a car these days - especially in the cities.

And I will NEVER cut into the gap in front of a truck when he is approaching stopped traffic / red lights etc, even if I think there might be plenty of room.

Davo
10th January 2014, 04:28 PM
There is a cowboy mentality up here that you notice, as if some drivers know they can get away with a bit. I hate being tailgated at 110kmh, for instance, and I'll have cameras in the car this year because of this sort of thing. But mostly they seem to behave. Here was a big exception:

No Cookies | Perth Now (http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/cattle-killed-in-truck-head-on/story-fnhocxo3-1226682678761)

I went by last week and the bridge railings look a little cooked!

Ean Austral
10th January 2014, 04:30 PM
The problem for the trucks is that everyone wants everything delivered yesterday and when at a guess 80-90% of general freight in Australia is moved by trucks they need to keep to schedual.

I seen 3 accidents whilst I was I'm Melbourne and all 3 were cars running up the back of other cars.

There are idiot drivers in every mode of transport , but education of car drivers about sharing the roads with trucks would be a good start.

Until I drove that road train from Darwin to Townsville I never realised how Many stupid things I had done myself when driving a car around trucks.

Trucks do keep Australia moving, best we all learn to share the roads.

Cheers Ean

BMKal
10th January 2014, 04:42 PM
There is a cowboy mentality up here that you notice, as if some drivers know they can get away with a bit. I hate being tailgated at 110kmh, for instance, and I'll have cameras in the car this year because of this sort of thing. But mostly they seem to behave. Here was a big exception:

No Cookies | Perth Now (http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/cattle-killed-in-truck-head-on/story-fnhocxo3-1226682678761)

I went by last week and the bridge railings look a little cooked!

Ouch !!!!!!!

I'll bet someone got his butt chewed over that. :o

Reminds me of once when I was driving a loaded 100 tonne float across Willare bridge heading up toward the Territory. I was doing about 10km/h over the bridge as I was under video bridge supervision because of the weight I had on board.

I was well and truly on the bridge, when Ma and Pa came around the corner towards me in Landcruiser pulling caravan and drove straight out onto the bridge - we all met up and stopped in the centre. Pa expected me to reverse the float off the bridge so that he could cross. He quickly learnt how to reverse his caravan as the bullbar of the Kenworth slowly approached him. ;)

goingbush
10th January 2014, 04:42 PM
Truck Smart Stopping Demonstration - YouTube

from QLD DOT

2. Travel at a safe following distance

Do not follow a heavy vehicle too closely, as you want to see what is ahead (e.g. debris and other cars). Keep in mind the following when travelling behind a heavy vehicle:

Allow for time to stop safely. The table below shows comparisons of stopping distances for cars and trucks when travelling at the same speeds.
Vehicle Speed Stopping distance (metres)
------Car Truck
60km/h 73 83
70km/h 91 105
80km/h 111 130
90km/h 133 156
100km/h 157 185
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Driver-guide/Sharing-the-road-with-other-road-users/Heavy-vehicles.aspx

Ausfree
10th January 2014, 04:51 PM
More car drivers need to be educated on how to drive near heavy vehicles, the above demonstration is a good example!!:)

Bigbjorn
10th January 2014, 05:06 PM
If you find you are being continually "tailgated" then you are not driving fast enough.

There is a solution. Get into the driving seat, look down to the floor at the end of your right leg. You will see your foot. Place this on the right side pedal and press down firmly. Keep pressing down until you are no longer "tailgated".

Basil135
10th January 2014, 05:07 PM
At the risk of bringing this thread back on track... :eek:

I love the show. Every time we watch it, it just makes me want to get out there amongst it. Be it the dust or the mud, I get itchy feet. :D

Davo
10th January 2014, 05:11 PM
Ouch !!!!!!!

I'll bet someone got his butt chewed over that. :o

Reminds me of once when I was driving a loaded 100 tonne float across Willare bridge heading up toward the Territory. I was doing about 10km/h over the bridge as I was under video bridge supervision because of the weight I had on board.

I was well and truly on the bridge, when Ma and Pa came around the corner towards me in Landcruiser pulling caravan and drove straight out onto the bridge - we all met up and stopped in the centre. Pa expected me to reverse the float off the bridge so that he could cross. He quickly learnt how to reverse his caravan as the bullbar of the Kenworth slowly approached him. ;)

:D:D:D

A couple of those bridges make me nervous because the road curves on the other side, not only making it hard for me to see ahead but making it likely that some dolt will come flying around towards us. I noticed that a 60kmh sign has appeared on at least one of the bridges now instead of the usual 80kmh!

There are quite a few stories about these bridges: some tourists parking in the middle of one and getting wiped out by a roadtrain; and someone on the main bridge here who went across at night because there was only a motorcycle coming the other way . . . when in fact it was a roadtrain with one headlight!

Davo
10th January 2014, 05:15 PM
If you find you are being continually "tailgated" then you are not driving fast enough.

There is a solution. Get into the driving seat, look down to the floor at the end of your right leg. You will see your foot. Place this on the right side pedal and press down firmly. Keep pressing down until you are no longer "tailgated".

Ha ha. How amusing. The speed limit is 110kmh, and roadtrains are limited to 100kmh over here. (Supposedly.) So if you're being tailgated while doing the SPEED LIMIT then maybe something is wrong. Like a lunatic towing a million tonnes is about to leave an imprint on your tailgate.

Fatso
10th January 2014, 05:21 PM

What about when you are being tailgated at the speed limit , this idiocy seems to the case more and more these days , not sure that would care to follow your sage advice in this situation .

Bigbjorn
10th January 2014, 06:35 PM
Ha ha. How amusing. The speed limit is 110kmh, and roadtrains are limited to 100kmh over here. (Supposedly.) So if you're being tailgated while doing the SPEED LIMIT then maybe something is wrong. Like a lunatic towing a million tonnes is about to leave an imprint on your tailgate.

What about when you are being tailgated at the speed limit , this idiocy seems to the case more and more these days , not sure that would care to follow your sage advice in this situation .

Either get going or get out of the way. As well as "tailgating", much road rage is caused by people who won't get going.

Ean Austral
10th January 2014, 06:38 PM

As a matter of interest , what do you do if another 4wd or car is tailgating you at the speed limit.

Cheers Ean

Davo
10th January 2014, 07:56 PM
Either get going or get out of the way. As well as "tailgating", much road rage is caused by people who won't get going.

Woo, good answer, I'll just go and break the speed limit every time I'm on the highway then. Thanks!

jimr1
10th January 2014, 10:42 PM
This is the first time I've seen any of those shows , I enjoyed watching them , now I can look forward to the second series .:)

MR LR
10th January 2014, 10:44 PM
Yes - but what is the relevance of the question - you also advocate there should be no braking standards for large vehicles.
Maybe you should read a bit more Garry, our Mack with it's dog trailer will pull up with a 26 tonne load quicker than my Rangie classic will (tested this with a couple of kangaroos the other day...).

There are braking standards, but you physically can't pull up 40 tones like you can 1.4.

I also agree that there's some menace truckies on the road, but there's also some seriously professional drivers out there to, and they'd out drive you or I no matter what.

A lot of car drivers need to consider what is behind them, or next to... or in front... I know this having driven a few oversized loads down the road, most people driving a car have no connection to what's going on around them.

Oh and that stupid little mutt in the show needs to die, the lady with the funny hair do needs to STFU and her husband needs to relax with the dusting I say! (Cut them from the show).

Cheers
Will

Blknight.aus
11th January 2014, 07:12 AM
Maybe you should read a bit more Garry, our Mack with it's dog trailer will pull up with a 26 tonne load quicker than my Rangie classic will (tested this with a couple of kangaroos the other day...).

you do know that stopping the brake squeal on the rangie by oiling the pads is the wrong thing to do right?

(seriously theres something wrong with your rangie)

Unless you mean you've been hauling 26t loads with the rangie

(in which case theres something wrong with your head)

Fatso
11th January 2014, 07:26 AM
As a matter of interest , what do you do if another 4wd or car is tailgating you at the speed limit.

Cheers Ean

Gday , In that case I just drive to the limit or Rd conditions and let the tailgater sort himself out , " problem bilong him/her "" , if a bit of wide Rd comes up I will pull over and let them pass the same as I do for trucks ,
Av a good and safe trip home to Darwin .

Naviguesser
11th January 2014, 08:18 AM
Several times have been tailgated by B Doubles on the Newell at 110 km/h, get to to an overtaking lane and lift a little to let them past, then when the truck goes past it has a sign on the back 100 Speed Limited.
Where are the :coplight:

Forgot to add. Outback Truckers is a good show to watch as well :)

Blknight.aus
11th January 2014, 09:25 AM
Gday , In that case I just drive to the limit or Rd conditions and let the tailgater sort himself out , " problem bilong him/her "" ,

The problem with that is when you develop a problem like sudden braking to avoid the idiot who is getting ready to have you Tbone them, the blood great cow thats just stepped onto the road.

The problem that you dont have because "its in your rearview mirror, when its in the form of a honking great overloaded road train thats already over the legal speed limit and trying to go faster" is just about to make itself known to you by means of the front of a truck up inside the dashboard of your car.

MR LR
11th January 2014, 09:41 AM
It passes the braking test (where they tilt the machine side to side) at every RWC ;)

In all seriousness though, the Mack wouldn't even go close if it wasn't for the brand new dog trailer, it has exceptional brakes (built by Nixons at Wagga).

The comparison was when towing, but I only had a ton behind the '83 RR and it's on 32's... so it doesn't stop as well as it should.

Point is, trucks can pull up pretty damn well these days.

Cheers
Will

Fatso
11th January 2014, 09:57 AM
The problem with that is when you develop a problem like sudden braking to avoid the idiot who is getting ready to have you Tbone them, the blood great cow thats just stepped onto the road.

The problem that you dont have because "its in your rearview mirror, when its in the form of a honking great overloaded road train thats already over the legal speed limit and trying to go faster" is just about to make itself known to you by means of the front of a truck up inside the dashboard of your car.

If I see a truck gaining on me when I am doing the speed limit then that triggers my idiot meter and I get out of way by any means possible and let them go , this is most cases achievable as they cant catch you that fast , I would rather have the idiot in front than behind , as 4 the car behind that is not as terrifying as a truck sitting up your clacker where he is going to kill you due to the unexpected . See and be seen .

shining
11th January 2014, 10:07 AM
Like a few others here I can see both sides of the story. Like the old bumper sticker said "Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars".
Can anyone really offer advice to (paraphrased) "just get out of my way " and expect to be taken seriously?? Equally, people who impinge of truck breaking distances or drive below the speed limit without taking every opportunity to let people get past are equally ridiculed.
Neither group understands the "rights and responsibility" balance. That is, society gives one the right to do things like drive a vehicle. As a driver you have a responsibility to your fellow man (society) to allow them to pursue their life unimpeded. That means ME, YOU and EVERYONE whether they are a drop-kick or not.
We need to educmacate people as to the responsible way to drive rather than just the legal way.
I was behind a fresh (first time off their property) L plater (neighbour and friend I even got a wave) the other day. They were doing 60 in a 100 zone in a rural area. I wasn't worried until we came to a intersection where they could have pulled over and me past (which they didn't). I then overtook safety soon after but had to speed as we were now in an 80kph section. I met them at a function soon after and the supervising driver said "you were speeding when you went past us". I bit my tongue.:censored:
I feel for truckies, especially driving the the eternal roadworks in the Blue Mountains. I always make sure to make a hole for them at merging lanes.
Here endeth the lesson.:)

I reckon that one gauge our driving skills is the number of "thank you" waves we get.

As for Outback Truckers
More enjoyable than most shows of that ilk(perhaps because of the accents). As one might expect I do take issue with shows portraying lawbreaking/life-threatening actions as OK and/or normal. Rail-crossing incident is a case in point.

d2dave
11th January 2014, 10:10 AM
Several times have been tailgated by B Doubles on the Newell at 110 km/h, get to to an overtaking lane and lift a little to let them past, then when the truck goes past it has a sign on the back 100 Speed Limited.
Where are the :coplight:

Forgot to add. Outback Truckers is a good show to watch as well :)

If I was tailgated by a truck at 110 I would get his rego and report him.

I hear so many stories about trucks going faster than 100 kph yet I have rarely seen it. I have driven semi's from Shepparton to Sydney and on some occasions there are nearly wall to wall trucks going up the Hume.

The ones I have driven have all been 100 speed limited. Now if one of these "wall to Wall" trucks was doing 110 he would be flying past me.

Some times when the road is quiet I might see a truck about 5 kays back. He does eventually catch me, but it has taken him about 80 km to do it.

His limiter could be say, 103 and mine at 99. Now I am not saying that there aren't trucks out there that have fiddled with the limiter, but these are few and far between.

It is almost a jaillable offence these days.

One problem is that most speedos on newer cars read fast, and often when you think a truck is speeding, it isn't.

plaven
11th January 2014, 12:10 PM
At the risk of bringing this thread back on track... :eek:

I love the show. Every time we watch it, it just makes me want to get out there amongst it. Be it the dust or the mud, I get itchy feet. :D

Yep, I'm a tragic for it too... :)

goingbush
11th January 2014, 01:08 PM
well that didn't last long did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kly2eSU3rQ8&annotation_id=annotation_976682&feature=iv

V8Ian
11th January 2014, 01:30 PM
As usual with these type of threads, no shortage of armchair experts. Get out and have a go like Ean has, you might find it enlightening.

Truckies now have an electronic eye on the road. - YouTube

dromader driver
11th January 2014, 01:39 PM
thats why five chime locomotive horns were invented...... :mad:

d2dave
11th January 2014, 01:45 PM
Get out and have a go like Ean has,

Truckies now have an electronic eye on the road. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1hBRX8ojkA)

Two very good you tubes. And yes, I have had a go, and plan to do it again when the right job comes along.

Having watched the two videos, I will now be putting one in the next truck I drive.

FeatherWeightDriver
13th January 2014, 08:08 PM
It passes the braking test (where they tilt the machine side to side) at every RWC ;)

lol you do know that technically that passes the letter, but not the spirit, of the braking test? ;):angel::wasntme:

(and yes I have been passed that way many times myself, only through sheer laziness of the tester)

FeatherWeightDriver
13th January 2014, 09:39 PM
Possibly relevant to this thread, but definitely relevant to all drivers ;)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/01/883.jpg

dullbird
13th January 2014, 09:50 PM
If I was tailgated by a truck at 110 I would get his rego and report him.

I hear so many stories about trucks going faster than 100 kph yet I have rarely seen it. I have driven semi's from Shepparton to Sydney and on some occasions there are nearly wall to wall trucks going up the Hume.

The ones I have driven have all been 100 speed limited. Now if one of these "wall to Wall" trucks was doing 110 he would be flying past me.

Some times when the road is quiet I might see a truck about 5 kays back. He does eventually catch me, but it has taken him about 80 km to do it.

His limiter could be say, 103 and mine at 99. Now I am not saying that there aren't trucks out there that have fiddled with the limiter, but these are few and far between.

It is almost a jaillable offence these days.

One problem is that most speedos on newer cars read fast, and often when you think a truck is speeding, it isn't.

I can 100% tell you that there are a large number of trucks going faster than 100 on the hume... I drive it daily and I often have trucks up my clacker at 110 and that is 110 gps not 110 speedo.

I can also say they are also a number of trucks that are 100 they tend to have speed offs up the hills on the 2 lane highway creating such a tail back givens me the ****ing ****s I can tell yeah:nazilock:

mrapocalypse
16th January 2014, 02:20 PM
I heard that the woman driving in the first series who had the issue on the rail crossing lost her job over it. I think I read that on OBT Facebook....

Generally though, as for truckie behaviour on the road, I would say that you need to remember that most on this forum are reasonably astute and skilled drivers. We are not the majority. After spending a few weeks in the cab of trucks on this show, the average car driver is vastly more stupid and reckless than almost every truck driver I came into contact with.

In fact it is largely due to the professional behaviour of the truckies that there isn't massive carnage on a daily basis. I have seen that when driving a truck, it is right to assume that nearly every other car driver will try to do something incredibly stupid. Belligerant, reckless and aggressive driving by impatient, ignorant and poorly skilled motorists is what gave me the most scares on the road.

Im in Sydney working with the Fire and Rescue Crews and the car drivers get what's called siren Syndrome which is tech speak for.. They do really dumb and scary things when they see you coming.

On another note, it was fun to come rattling and crashing over a rise churn through a mud hole and and see the expressions on the Grey Nomads with their 200 series cruisers and all the fruit and the camper trailer as we went by..... in Steve's Kenworth Brute and three massively loaded trailers on the worst sections of the Gary Junction Road. You could see the big black circle of their open mouths as we went past.

In fact in Pat Callinans mag this issue there's an article by a journo about a 4wd route out into WA. I said to my wife.. yeah, we did that... Pulling a fully loaded triple. Out to Kiwirrkurra and back again from Perth via the Central Road. My hat's off to these Truckies in a big way. And that's from personal experience.

The only landy I saw on the trips was a 200TDI Disco on the Strezlecki near Moomba.

isuzurover
16th January 2014, 04:38 PM
I heard that the woman driving in the first series who had the issue on the rail crossing lost her job over it. I think I read that on OBT Facebook.... ...

close...

I found this:

GKR Transport extends apologies to anyone who may have been distressed as a result of the actions of a female truck driver driving a company truck when disregarding flashing warning lights at a rail level crossing aired on a television program on Saturday night.
The company does not condone the actions of the driver when she proceeded through the crossing in contravention to the warning lights. The driver is no longer employed by the company, and if she was, she would be facing disciplinary action.
It is regrettable that the actions of one irresponsible person may have negatively impacted on all the good drivers doing their job sensibly and responsibly.

I can't believe there have been people on here defending driving like that...

V8Ian
16th January 2014, 08:44 PM
I can't believe there have been people on here defending driving like that...
I don't think her actions are, or have been defended by anyone.
This woman was not a truck driver, more a truckie groupie. She had not held a heavy vehicle licence long before that event and more than likely gained it sans testing. She also had a criminal history for deceit. This incident was discussed at length on a truck forum of which I am a member.

mtisafish
18th January 2014, 09:00 PM
Fantastic show gotta see more

kadine94
19th January 2014, 08:01 AM
That blonde kiwi babe is hot:)

George130
19th January 2014, 03:44 PM
I haven't seen this show. Most of the trucks I encounter daily on the Hume are very good drivers. A couple are beyond bad and do go way beyond the speed limit. Last year I had 1 try to push me off the road 4 times before I was able to give him room to speed. I did see him harass every vehicle in his was for a little while. Also noticed the other trucks just get out of his way like they didn't want to be near him either.

benji
19th January 2014, 06:53 PM
The majority of owners don't appreciate the weight of their own vehicles, let alone have any comprehension of 80t. You can't change the laws of physics.

There's bad drivers in every kind of vehicle though.

A few years ago coming out of Sydney at 11pm they got faster and faster till they were doing an average of 120. I though that was okay until when nudging 130 down a hill we got overtaken by a b-double like we were standing still!
Suddenly the game wasn't so much fun. ..

cewilson
20th January 2014, 02:08 AM
On another note, it was fun to come rattling and crashing over a rise churn through a mud hole and and see the expressions on the Grey Nomads with their 200 series cruisers and all the fruit and the camper trailer as we went by..... in Steve's Kenworth Brute and three massively loaded trailers on the worst sections of the Gary Junction Road. You could see the big black circle of their open mouths as we went past.

In fact in Pat Callinans mag this issue there's an article by a journo about a 4wd route out into WA. I said to my wife.. yeah, we did that... Pulling a fully loaded triple. Out to Kiwirrkurra and back again from Perth via the Central Road. My hat's off to these Truckies in a big way. And that's from personal experience.

We send a lot of our cement trucks out that way too, including Gibb River Rd etc. Got one coming back from out the Great Central Rd now actually. Quite funny reading how tough these 'tracks' are in a brand new fancy 4WD sometimes :wasntme:

uninformed
20th January 2014, 11:50 AM
That blonde kiwi babe is hot:)

is she the ex model?

VladTepes
20th January 2014, 02:32 PM
you do know that stopping the brake squeal on the rangie by oiling the pads is the wrong thing to do right?

(seriously theres something wrong with your rangie)

Unless you mean you've been hauling 26t loads with the rangie

(in which case theres something wrong with your head)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Well, all I can say is the AULRO search function is junk then! I searched for "Outback Truckers" and got a gazillion returns, but none on this topic, and then I searched again just on "Truckers". Same.

True. And false.

Instead of using the 'search' in the menu bar, try the google search ALURO on the bottom LHS of the page, you'll probably find it works better - generally !

kadine94
20th January 2014, 07:18 PM
is she the ex model?
yep i think she was also in kiwi army

Eevo
26th May 2015, 09:29 PM
anyone been watching this show on ch 7?

i watch the first season a few years ago and loved it
now we're on season 3

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/outback-truckers/-/watch/27778259/outback-truckers-tue-12-may-season-3-episode-1/

Bushie
27th May 2015, 07:27 AM
anyone been watching this show on ch 7?

i watch the first season a few years ago and loved it
now we're on season 3

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/outback-truckers/-/watch/27778259/outback-truckers-tue-12-may-season-3-episode-1/

Probably a few on here watching it.

do a search for this thread
Outback Truckers - Better than Ice Road Truckers
:D:D:D:D:D

Martyn

Stuck
17th October 2015, 10:02 PM
Quote: These trips are about keeping the story thundering along over extended periods. The producers/directors have to keep their mettle through gear failure, bogging, breakdowns and epic days. The producers had to keep their mettle ?, How do they think blokes like my Dad kept their mettle back in the sixties doing jobs like that using old Leylands and the like. With all due respect to the fellers out their now doing their bit, those old blokes did it fairly tough.