PDA

View Full Version : Might have to join the club

78RRman
11th January 2014, 11:08 AM
Hi Guys been looking at the ex military 110 for sale, they defiantly look the I'm drawn to the 88 with the 3.9 as apposed to the later 2.5. I have recently bought a Puma and it fast became mums car. Ive recently moved to Tas and looking for a good solid truck for fishing, camping hardware runs and general dirty jobs. The puma is out after I pin striped it at 3 weeks old:wasntme:. Might have to wait a few more years on the puma. I've got 5 months to do as much research as I can then ill be in the market. Here seems to be a good spot to start.

Ben

78RRman
12th January 2014, 07:58 AM
Ok so I've been looking at grays online seems to be cheaper than carsales, a couple of quick question,
What seems to be the average price at end of auction?
Are the military good with servicing?
Why do the ads say km may not be indicative of km travelled have the clocks been tampered with?
What tax/extra costs would I expect to pay on top of bided price?
I'm a long way from auction yard would anyone buy unseen if so would it be worth bidding on one with a lot of bid activity?

Thanks guys

303gunner
12th January 2014, 09:13 AM
Grays Online is the outlet for the official disposal sales agents, Australian Frontline Machinery. Minto, NSW is their base and they have an auction each month. There have been other auctions held in Melb, Adel, Perth, Bris, Townsville and Darwin, but these have not been as frequent. You may want to wait for say a Melb auction to take the opportunity of flying up and visually inspecting a vehicle.

There are several different versions of the Army Landrovers, and the type has a bearing on the desirability and final price. The "Plain Jane" soft-top GS 4x4 have been going for between $6,000-$10,000 depending on condition. The FFR soft-tops (Fitted For Radio) go for around $1,000 more. The 4 door wagon Senior Commanders and Carryalls fetch $12,000-$16,000. The Hard-top Survey vehicles have been going for $10,000-$15,000. The beefed-up for off-road RFSVs have gone for $12,000-$16,000. While condition of the vehicle plays an important part in the price, "Auction fever" does too. Prices in the early auctions were higher, and sometimes there is simply no logic to the price someone will pay.

The ones appearing on Carsales, Gumtree, e-bay etc are ex-auction units being re-sold by bidders who are either unhappy with their purchase or looking to make a quick buck.

The speedos have not been "tampered with". but many vehicles have either had the speedos replaced due to faulty parts, or have undergone a comprehensive rebuild process where new speedos are installed and the vehicle is effectively fresh as a new vehicle. AFM recommend an inspection of the vehicle, as some will also come with the vehicle service book, which would detail the maintenance history of the vehicle. This comprehensively lists the work done to the vehicle, and it is well worth getting a vehicle with this record. That does not mean it will be a perfect, fault-free vehicle, but you will know where you stand.

As an auction, there is no warranty and it is a case of buyer beware. These are 25 year old 4wds that have seen some real off-road use. There are some vehicles that have serious faults or damage, but the majority are well maintained and in good order ready for the road. There have been virtually none with more than 200,000Km, which is minimal for the expected life of the Isuzu engine and LT95.

Grays clearly state that there is Buyer's Premium and GST to go on top of the bid price. These add 16.6% to your bid. The vehicle is then yours to pick up from NSW. Add transport to Tas and whatever Tas require to register a vehicle for the road.

78RRman
14th January 2014, 08:13 AM
Thanks for your input Gunner I appreciate the in depth response, I've got myself organised for the next auction. Does anyone know how many auctions are left? I'm currently watching about a dozen or so to see what happens from ones that are sitting at 7 k right down to the ones that are still around 3.5k. I'm going for a cargo cause I'm after no frills and they have the tailgate, also assuming the ones without pto winches would be less likely to have been on the training courses and bush tracks. I've got a 12000lb warn sitting in the shed anyway. Due to the nature and remoteness of my job inspections are tricky (as is pick up times but ill deal with that) so it's luck of the draw for me, I sorta figure they're all defenders that need good homes and if I pick a dud ill deal with it. I'm going to bid on one with medium high interest. Depending on auction prices might pick up a number 5 well I'm there.

PS my wife thinks its a great idea 👈sarcasm, she should have known as she stole my puma

DeeJay
14th January 2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks for your input Gunner I appreciate the in depth response, I've got myself organised for the next auction. Does anyone know how many auctions are left? I'm currently watching about a dozen or so to see what happens from ones that are sitting at 7 k right down to the ones that are still around 3.5k. I'm going for a cargo cause I'm after no frills and they have the tailgate, also assuming the ones without pto winches would be less likely to have been on the training courses and bush tracks. I've got a 12000lb warn sitting in the shed anyway. Due to the nature and remoteness of my job inspections are tricky (as is pick up times but ill deal with that) so it's luck of the draw for me, I sorta figure they're all defenders that need good homes and if I pick a dud ill deal with it. I'm going to bid on one with medium high interest. Depending on auction prices might pick up a number 5 well I'm there.

PS my wife thinks its a great idea ��sarcasm, she should have known as she stole my puma

The army needs to dispose of 2800 various 4x4 110's (& 700+ 6x6's) At present they are selling up to 35 a time - I think this Auction is the biggest so far as there are also 14 wrecks. This is the 5th ( I think) Minto Auction, so probably another 68 auctions to go at the current rate !!
Personally I would take a chill pill & get a good one, which means reading the service books, but, even then it would be a lotto.
Barefoot Dave on this forum has produced an excellent buying guide, the link is on his signature.
What makes you think that ones with winches get used more in the bush? that's a little too sensible.
Also, prices have been steadily levelling out and I would be thinking that a fairly good one can be had for around $5,000 - plus gst etc- by the end of the year. That's around half what they first went for.

303gunner
14th January 2014, 11:43 PM
This is the 5th ( I think) Minto Auction, so probably another 68 auctions to go at the current rate !!
By my count, this is the 11th auction at Minto.

There have also been 3 in Darwin, 2 in Perth, 5 in Bris, 3 in Melb, 3 in Adel, and 3 in Townsville.

I may have missed one or two others.

78RRman
15th January 2014, 11:33 AM
I'm hearing you Deejay might be worth waiting for prices to level out, easier knowing there's still plenty more to come. As for checking them out really hard for me would love to have a look before bidding but I work a 3/1 roster so in the week off I'd have to check it, bid, pick it up on the set date then drive it to Hobart. But I know what your saying be disappointing going to pick up your new toy and it's a bucket.

Thanks for your feedback guys it's much appreciated

Ben

303gunner
15th January 2014, 05:07 PM
But I know what your saying be disappointing going to pick up your new toy and it's a bucket.

Ben
The surprises go both ways. Included with the Service Record Book with my vehicle were 2 Technical Inspection Reports and a Stocktake Inspection Report. All 3 were from various dates in 2012 or 2013, and done by 3 separate persons from 16 Air Defence Regt. ALL 3 stated clearly that there were no accompanying items of CES or even emergency equipment like Jacks or wheel braces. Quite specific in stating that NOTHING was there.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/01/784.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/303gunner/media/IMG_5775-1.jpg.html)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/01/785.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/303gunner/media/IMG_5776.jpg.html)

So imagine my pleasant surprise on opening the tool lockers and finding:

2x Hydraulic Jacks
2x Wheel braces
2x NEW wheels chocks
1x NEW set emergency triangles
1x tin containing assorted spare fuses and globes
2x NEW Wormald Fire Extinguishers (Full, w/ Jul 13 inspection tags)
1x Vinyl tool roll (Complete, filled)
1x NEW grease gun, filled
1x Oil Syringe pump
2x tyre levers
1x manual air pump
1x NEW length of drag chain w/ hooks (for use with Winch)
4x NEW D shackles (marked w/ 16AD Reg ownership tags)
4x Used D shackles ( " " " " " " " )
1x NEW winch cable pulley block
1x Pr Rigger's gloves
1x Jerry can pouring spout
1x Tin oil pourer can
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/01/786.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/303gunner/media/IMG_5777.jpg.html)

I would conservatively estimate the replacement cost (ie retail if I had to buy it) of this booty to be around $1000. If I had solely relied on the Service Book without a visual inspection, I would have valued this vehicle at less than it's actual value.

303gunner
15th January 2014, 05:19 PM
The speedos have not been "tampered with", but many vehicles have either had the speedos replaced due to faulty parts, .......
My Service Record Book lists that this occurred with my vehicle. The new speedo installed was re-set to show the accurate Km of the vehicle. The body of the Speedo still has polite instructions from the Craftsman doing the repair to an Instrument Tech to "Please rest Odometer to 36,004Km thanks".
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/01/781.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/303gunner/media/IMG_5779.jpg.html)
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/01/782.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/303gunner/media/IMG_5780.jpg.html)
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/01/783.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/303gunner/media/IMG_5781.jpg.html)

I do know of other vehicles however where the Odometer has re-started from Okm and you have to have the SRB to know the total Kms of the vehicle.

usi
15th January 2014, 05:24 PM
Have you got a picture of the tyre levers and drag chain? And an idea of where they were stored would be great

303gunner
15th January 2014, 07:56 PM
Have you got a picture of the tyre levers and drag chain? And an idea of where they were stored would be great
The tyre levers are in the RH tool locker, and the drag chains and shackles are in a hessian sandbag in the LH tool locker, although I don't think there was anything as formal as a stowage diagram.

I'll get them out tomorrow and get some pics, see if there's brand names.

78RRman
16th January 2014, 09:29 AM
That's a really good score Gunner. I watched about 18 vehicles so I could have a look at the end result, most of the cargo/ffr went for between 6.8 to 8.5 bar one that sold for 15.5? The hard top ffr sold for 12.8. I also watched two no.5 trailers one sold for 809 and the other went for 2300 both still had canvas tops and both looked a little rusty, wished I watched a few more to work out a better average on the no.5s. Only thing that was a little confusing was the goin,going thing at the end.

78RRman
16th January 2014, 09:31 AM
The tyre levers are in the RH tool locker, and the drag chains and shackles are in a hessian sandbag in the LH tool locker, although I don't think there was anything as formal as a stowage diagram.

I'll get them out tomorrow and get some pics, see if there's brand names.

How long have you had the beast for Gunner?

303gunner
16th January 2014, 04:13 PM
Have you got a picture of the tyre levers and drag chain?
Tyre levers are stamped "Gedore No 39".

Drag chain is about 6ft long, stamped "Bullivants" and an Army NSN.

Pulley block is rated to 8500Kg, better than ARB!!